It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
(female)

LoveGrows HB User
Could I have a heart disorder?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I could have a heart disorder. I am almost 24 years old and the mother of 2 children. During my first pregnancy, I had pre-eclampsia during my labor. Because of this, I was told by my doctor to check my blood pressure regularly at home as well as during my OB visits while I was pregnant with my second child.

We bought a digital blood pressure machine for our home and throughout my second pregnancy, the machine kept telling me that I had an irregular heartbeat. I asked my doctor about it and she checked my heartbeat during my next OB visit. She confirmed that my heartbeat was irregular but she was not too concerned about it. I gave birth to my second child this past February and have checked my BP periodically since - The irregular heartbeat did not show up since the birth.

Just tonight my Husband and I were decorating the house for our older daughters birthday tomorrow. I blew up about 3 or 4 balloons before I felt a fluttering in my heart. I told my Husband about it and he wouldn't let me blow up any more balloons, he did the rest. The fluttering has not gone away (it has been about an hour) and it feels uncomfortable. When I breathe in deeply, it is painful.

I checked my BP on the machine just 10 minutes ago, and my BP was normal but it showed an irregular heartbeat again. (Which I have not had since my pregnancy.)

In addition to this - My first child was born with a large VSD, a Right Aortic Arch, as well as a small abnormal mass of muscle in one chamber of her heart. Her cardiologist told us all this time that it was like lightning striking, there was nothing that could have caused it on our end during my pregnancy. They originally planned on her having to have surgery to close the VSD when she was about 4-5 months old. However, against incredible odds my daughters VSD started closing on it's own (and continues to close to this day) when she was about 2-3 months old and we never needed to have the surgery.

My sister has found out in the last few months that she has an ASD, and that she was born with it. It went undetected until this year (she is 26) when she started feeling her heart flutter as well as other symptoms which led her to have her heart looked at.

To your knowledge, with my history explained does it sound like I may have a heart condition? Is this something that I should have checked out right away? My Husband is an independent contractor and we therefore do not have medical insurance for ourselves. We have it for our two girls but that is it. What would your recommendation be in this situation? Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Could I have a heart disorder?

Don't worry too much about the irregular heartbeat on your BP machine.
The only time you should be concerned is if you have 4 or 5 irregular heartbeat readings in a row - If that happens see your doctor.

It would probably be best to see a cardiologist, you have a family history.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
(female)

LoveGrows HB User

Thank you for your help. I have taken my BP every few hours throughout the day today. My BP is always good but the machine is saying I have an irregular heartbeat every time I take it.

I do want to go to a cardiologist but I do not have insurance - Would it be somewhat affordable to go to a sliding scale clinic and perhaps they can refer me to a cardiologist? Thanks very much for your help.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Sorry, I can't help you with the insurance issue - We have a different system here in Australia, everyone here is entitled to free treatment in public hospitals and Docs who bulk bill the govt.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
(male)

JackBlack2012 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveGrows View Post
Thank you for your help. I have taken my BP every few hours throughout the day today. My BP is always good but the machine is saying I have an irregular heartbeat every time I take it.

I do want to go to a cardiologist but I do not have insurance - Would it be somewhat affordable to go to a sliding scale clinic and perhaps they can refer me to a cardiologist? Thanks very much for your help.
I would look into getting health insurance. I'm a 24 y/o male in WA and pay $110/month premium for a $2,500 deductible and a $35 copay (Regence Blue Shield)

I ended up in the hospital and that bill was around $6,000. Then, I had to take a bunch of tests. Each appt with the Cardiologist was over $130.

The insurance is worth it, trust me. If you can't afford it, look into WA's "Basic Health". It's for people with lower incomes. I think there's other state health insurance plans for lower income as well - with super low monthly premiums like $20 or something - I can't remember.

The most common arrhythmia is atrial fibrillation. Fluttering is a very common symptom. Other things, like anxiety, high blood pressure and other heart problems can cause fluttering. If it went on for an hour, I would see a cardiologist as soon as you can.

Let us know how you're doing and any progress you make.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

kise889 HB User

sometimes it depends on the machine also. i have a heart monitor too and sometimes it does not accurate and get different result when i re took it again right after. it depends on my possition too and my finger. but its better for you to go to a cardiologist, i get irregular hearbeat most of the time but the doctor said its ok :-/

Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
(female)

LoveGrows HB User

Thank you all for your help. I know this may seem dumb but I have put my symptoms into the "***** Symptom Checker" and it tells me to seek medical treatment. I definitely want to have some tests run, to see what is going on.

My Husband has spoken to his manager and they are talking about my Husband being hired on to the company (instead of working for them as an independent contractor.) This would give him 100% coverage with health insurance, and would give me (and our children) 50% coverage. So I am hoping that within the next couple of months, everything will be set and I will be able to see a doctor about this.

I have never checked to see if the irregular heartbeat lasts for more than an hour. I will find out, and update within the next few days.

Thank you again very much for your help.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
(female)

LoveGrows HB User

I also wanted to add that I have been paying careful attention to my heart since we blew up those balloons, I have been trying to be very aware of my symptoms. I sometimes feel an ache type feeling by my heart, it feels uncomfortable and there is pressure. I still feel fluttering from time to time, and there is still an irregular heartbeat. I have noticed that I especially start feeling symptoms when I am emotionally upset or stressed out. For example - My parents flew in for a visit this past week, and to be honest their visits are stressful for me. I felt the symptoms strongly when I felt stressed out or emotionally unwell. I have also felt the symptoms more strongly when I am physically working harder, like if I was deeply cleaning the house or what not. I seem to have periods of having the symptoms, and then they go away, and then they will come back again for whatever reason. They are not constant.

Reply Reply