It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
(female)

kise889 HB User
anesthesia & sedative for tachycardia, palpitation (share please)

ok so i have tachycardia & palpitation for years since i was little and i take beta blockers it helps a little but not so much. the cardiologist did some tests, couldnt find the cause and the diagnose was just tachycardia, palpitation and sometimes i got extra beats also which feels unpleasent but he said it was ok so i have to live with it. my heart problem more gradual but sometimes it gets worse and sometimes it got better a little also depends of my quality of sleep and my diets and activities but no matter what or when, i couldnt stay active like running, etc even when my resting heart was 70-80. so my heart rate depends on that also but when it was bad there are times when it reaches between 170bpm+ and sometimes between 150bpm for hours (when i got the attack, even when resting i checked it with heart monitor). and the palpitation happens so often even when the heart rate isnt fast. the thing is, i heard and read peoples experinces about sedative and anesthesi triggers heart problems and it worries me. so ive been avoiding it but i will need to get it for some procedures (my gastro problems and possibly other procedures require sedatives, anesthesi later). are most of the time sedative, anesthesi triggers heart problems for people who had heart problems? i guess there are some drugs which triggers it more and some that arent so much? what should i do to minimize the risk? (other than just mention to the doctor about my condition, because many times doctors that i met didnt seem seriously concern about it and oversimplify, so i have to be critical about it since in here where i live isnt really advance in medical) would taking beta blockers if it does happen take care of it? please do share if you have experience with it or know some information about it id appreciate it and really like to read it. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: anesthesia & sedative for tachycardia, palpitation (share please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kise889 View Post
... the cardiologist did some tests, couldnt find the cause and the diagnose was just tachycardia, palpitation and sometimes i got extra beats also which feels unpleasent but he said it was ok so i have to live with it.
Idiopathic Heart Rhythm problems and Blood Pressure problems are usually the result of an over-production of hormones, especially from the adrenal glands. If the patient, or the doctor, cannot find out what is causing the body to over-produce the hormones, then medications should considered to block or inhibit the over-produced hormones.

Quote:
my heart problem more gradual but sometimes it gets worse and sometimes it got better a little
It is not healthy for a heart, or the metabolism, to be over-stimulated by excess hormones. Over time, the over production of stimulating hormones will cause problems.

Quote:
would taking beta blockers if it does happen take care of it?
Finding the correct medication(s) and dose(s) is not an easy job. Medications like Beta Blockers, which attempt to block over-production from the adrenal hormones, to slow the heart rate and lower the blood pressure, can cause breathing problems (especially at night) and sap energy and strength, among other side effects.

Other medication possibilities are calcium channel blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE), angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB), digoxin, among others.

Best of luck and health!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 09-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
(female)

kise889 HB User

ok im a little lost. do you mean thyroid hormones? they did check t3, t4, tsh but said its fine :/ or there are others that need to be checked?
im not familiar with those medications but i did read about calcium channel blocker. are those better than beta blocker and has same purpose? or is it for some specific condition? my cardiologist that i went to did mention other drug such as cordarone and some that i forgot the name. he said it lasts longer and mention about something that stronger. but than he said its ok to continue with propanolol for now (this is the beta blocker that i take)

Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kise889 View Post
ok im a little lost. do you mean thyroid hormones? they did check t3, t4, tsh but said its fine :/ or there are others that need to be checked?
When I answered you, "Idiopathic Heart Rhythm problems and Blood Pressure problems are usually the result of an over-production of hormones, especially from the adrenal glands.", I was referring to the hormones of the adrenal glands, not the thyroid.

Quote:
or there are others that need to be checked?
Most of the time doctors cannot figure out exactly why someone's heart does not beat correctly, or why their patient's blood pressure runs too high; no matter how many tests they do. An example of this is number of members of HealthBoards who have had numerous tests and still don't have any answers. It just shows the vast complexities of our bodies and metabolism.

However..... Medical science has already figured out some of the hormones that cause higher blood pressure and heart rhythm problems. For instance, you are currently taking propanolol, a beta blocker, which blocks hormones from your adrenal glands.

Sometimes it takes more than one medication to treat heart rhythm/beat problems, or high blood pressure.

Quote:
im not familiar with those medications but i did read about calcium channel blocker. are those better than beta blocker and has same purpose? or is it for some specific condition?
Your doctor might be able to answer your questions about your medications far better than your fellow patients, here on HealthBoards.

In my case, I have been able to greatly improve my own problems with tachycardia and an irregular heartbeat thru taking digoxin, exercise, an appropriate diet and avoiding irritants and stimulants.

In my opinion, most patients with erratic heartbeats or high blood pressure could enjoy significant improvements to their health by being on a correct diet that is appropriate for their own unique metabolism. Most so-called healthy diets are not really healthy, IMHO. They are one size fits all and don't address a individual's metabolism dysfunction.

The main reason that I initially responded to your questions was to tell you that I did not think that a fast, irregular heartbeat is healthy over time. It is not good for a heart to be constantly under stress, even if a doctors says that it is nothing to worry about. Many doctors tell their patients not to worry about heart beat problems, mainly because the doctor doesn't know what to do about the problem.

Take care, and best of health!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
(female)

kise889 HB User

thanks for the information, id like to discuss it with my cardiologist and i did ask about it and other things but so far thats what i get (propanolol, tachycardia palpitation, undetectable cause). honestly i didnt really get much information
yes i know i also heard many people with palpitation and tachycardia did bunch of tests but couldnt find the cause.
so the bottom line is, in your opinion i could only discuss with my cardiologist to try to find a drug that possibly better for me? and so far looks like there is no more test to find the cause?

Last edited by kise889; 09-30-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Reply Reply