It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

UKMarc HB User
Dilated Chambers on Right of Heart

Hi All,

I was having episodes of palpitations earlier this year. Went to the Doctor and they ran a full panel of tests.

Thyroid was fine, 24hr heart monitor showed a few PVC's and the EKG showed some possible right heart problems, so they sent me for an MRI. MRI showed slight dilation of the right atrium and ventricle and a mobile atrial septum, which suggested a possible septal defect. The ThorassicEchoCardiogram ruled this out, but confirmed that my right chambers were 'mildly' dilated, but they couldn't see a cause.

The cardiologist basically told me that my heart looks fine and he can't see anything that concerns him. Of course being the stress monkey that I am, I'm still slightly concerned. I'm still getting the 'missed' heart beats and the heart 'stutters' feelings which are scaring the crap out of me and the 'mildly' dilated chambers are more than slightly worrying.

Any ideas what causes this dilation? Can it get worse? Can I make it better or reduce it in any way? Should I pester the Doctor to see if something else is causing this?

Any advice would be great before I end up buying shares in Rescue Remedy and Aspirin lol

Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Dilated Chambers on Right of Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMarc View Post
Hi All,

Bit worried to be honest. Was sitting at my PC last week after dinner when suddenly had a dizzy rush to the head followed by a very rapid heart beat.
That "dizzy rush" might have been caused by an over-production of hormones, such as adrenal hormones, which can over-excite the heart and cause higher blood pressure, among other uncomfortable symptoms. So.... first you feel the adrenal rush and then your over-excited heart goes into a rapid and/or irregular, erratic heartbeat.

Quote:
MRI showed slight dilation of the right atrium and ventricle ... Any ideas what causes this dilation?
Over time, excess hormones, such as the adrenal hormones, can be damaging to organs and glands, including the heart.

OTOH, it takes a lot of skill to properly do an MRI and to interpret it. A slight tilt in your body, or with the MRI wand, during the MRI, can make a big difference during the measurement process, IMHO.

Did you get a copy of the MRI summary report, showing all of the measurements and evaluations? What did it show about the measurements of your right atrium and ventricle? How experienced was your MRI technician?

Quote:
Can it get worse?
In my non-professional opinion, over long periods of time, excess body hormones will continue to do their damage.

Quote:
Can I make it better or reduce it in any way?
I can describe what I have done to greatly improve my diluted heart and health. Basically, I live as healthy as I possibly can, including diet, exercise, avoiding things that cause over-production of hormones, and I take the most effective medications that protect me by blocking excess hormones.

My health and heart disease is much worse than yours, so you would probably not want to, or be willing to go to my extremes, but you might get some ideas from reading about what I did.

If you are interested in reading the major changes and restrictions that I have done, to significantly improve my health and heart disease, please glance thru my "Heart Disorders" thread: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life. The link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/742271-what-i-have-done-survive-heart-failure-afib-high-quality-life.html

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply