It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

lovinghorses HB User
Mitral valve disorders

Hi everyone! Just got my echo and holter results back. Echo showed that my mitral valve leaflets are thickened with calcifications which is causing a moderate amount of regurgitation. Left atrium is dilated. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 5, I am now 32. Holter monitor showed heart rate varies dramatically, called it sinus arrhythmia.
My resting heart rate is around 100, this morning it was 120, I am always out of breath. Have had high blood pressure since I was 20. Can't find a good medicine that works and keeps working.
Anyone else with a similar experience?

Next step is a stress-echo...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Mitral valve disorders

Hi lovinghorses! Sorry to hear about your dilated atrium and your constant breathing problems.

I am in a similar boat as you. I have problems with all four of my heart valves. Both my left and right atria are severely dilated. I've got permanent atrial fibrillation. I suffered from chronic, difficult to treat high blood pressure for many years, until I finally got it under control and down to very healthy levels.

Of all of the symptoms of heart failure, I hate the breathing problems the most. I am sorry that your life is effected so much by breathing problems.

Fortunately, most of the time I no longer have to tolerate breathing problems; and after a 25+ year struggle, my health and heart failure have significantly improved. Do your breathing problems get worse at night?

I have documented how I have had to restrict my life, in order to survive. I have to admit, someone has to be very ill, like I am, to do what I have had to do to survive these nasty heart and health problems.

If you are interested in reading the major changes and restrictions that I have done, to improve my health and heart disease, please glance thru my "Heart Disorders" thread: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life. The link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/742271-what-i-have-done-survive-heart-failure-afib-high-quality-life.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinghorses View Post
Next step is a stress-echo...
Usually, after an echo there is a summary report that has specific, important measurements and evaluation. You might consider requesting a copy so that you can refer to it, and evaluate it yourself, at your home.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

lovinghorses HB User

Thanks so much for your reply Machaon! I will be sure to read your post right now. I went and picked up a copy of my echo report about an hour ago. I had my stress test done last week and it was ok so I am cleared to exercise again. But I am quite worried, it only took about 4 mins on the treadmill and my heart rate was over 200.
My report states I also have mild regurgitation of the tricuspid valve also. This is the first time I have heard this mentioned. But it did say no mitral stenosis which is a relief. I guess the calcifications might be from when I had scarlet fever when I was younger. They aren't really sure. The calicifications are on my leaflets which I have read are rare usually they are on the ring.
So, now I guess it is sit and wait until something else happens!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinghorses View Post
But I am quite worried, it only took about 4 mins on the treadmill and my heart rate was over 200.
Hi lovinghorses? I was wondering how you were doing.

Have your doctors been able to improve your heart rate problems?

Quote:
My report states I also have mild regurgitation of the tricuspid valve also. ... I am always out of breath. ... So, now I guess it is sit and wait until something else happens!
What medications have your doctors tried on you? Have you experienced any improvements in your breathing problems?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-15-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Reply Reply