It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
(male)

Duck Face HB User
My problems with arrhythmia

Greetings everyone. I'd appreciate an opinion on an issue that's been bothering me for the last three years. My story covers several medical fields, but ultimately it boils down to heart, so I chose to post here. I apologize in advance for eventual grammatical/spelling errors, as English is not my first language.

I'm 21 years old, male. During my teen years I suffered from weak immunity (frequent viral infections) and GERD. I treated it for years (mostly pantoprazole), and ultimately succeeded. However, I suspect that the long use of medicine affected the vitamin/mineral reserves in my body. In the summer of '09, following intense workouts I did at the time, I started to experience occasional heart arrhythmias.

My arrhythmias occur on the following principle - my heart skips, and then it suddenly starts to beat quickly and shallowly. It continues to do so until I take a deep breath and tense my chest muscles. Then another skip happens, and the arrhythmia stops, as suddenly as it began. Stress or adrenaline greatly increase the probability of the arrhythmia occurring. Usually it occurs from 2-20 times a day, depending on my activities and stress. It lasts usually about 15 seconds, rarely a minute. Only a few times it lasted longer than several minutes.

I've visited cardiologists - performed EKG (including holter monitor) and ultrasound of my heart. No conditions were detected. The holter monitor managed to record the arrhythmia, but the doctor wasn't alarmed. He told me that such occurrences are harmless and normal at my age, but I disagree because this problem of mine prevents me from doing sporting activities and over time it has made me uptight and robotic, as I started to avoid sudden movements, fearing an arrhythmia.

In 2010, following a spell of bad nutrition and two heavy antibiotic treatments, I started to feel symptoms of B vitamin deficiency (depression, anxiety, tingling in extremities, tiredness...) and so I began to take B complex supplements. Over time they sorted out the symptoms of deficiency, and only recently I got an idea that my arrhythmias may be caused by a deficiency as well.

In August I started taking 400mg of magnesium citrate per day, and I noticed an improvement almost instantly - arrhythmias occur more rarely, last shorter and are easier to stop or prevent (the "skip" doesn't turn into an irregular beat). Still, after the initial improvement, my condition at this moment is stagnating. I'm confused - if magnesium helps me, why doesn't my condition keep improving anymore? Even though I'm better, arrhythmias still occur. Should I consider taking magnesium in another form? Or does it mean something else?

I'd also note that my conditions are/were:

- scoliosis (it correlates with my arrhythmias to some extent, but not fully),
- GERD (2007-09, cured),
- propensity to viral infections (2002-08, cured),
- B vitamin deficiency (2010-11, cured),
- unexplained arrhythmias (2009-present).

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. I can't count on much help from the doctors I've visited unfortunately, because my condition wasn't even described. I only have my mind, common sense, and the Internet. So I thank you in advance.

Last edited by Duck Face; 10-03-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply