It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
(male)

JackBlack2012 HB User
Can you feel your heart contracting?

After I started having heart issues in June, I can physically feel my heart contracting. I'm not talking about feeling your pulse like you can in your wrist or your neck, or hearing/feeling your heart beat when you lay on your left side.

When I lay on my left side, or sometimes even when my body is just leaning to the left a little, I can put my hand on my left side and feel my skin bulge in and out when my heart contracts. Again, this is not the pulse - this is like the heart is pushing against my lung, and I can feel it through the space inbetween my ribs.

It's concerning because never before have I noticed this, and it's more prominent at night. When I awake from sleep, it's barely noticeable. I'm concerned my heart is enlarging when this happens. Not sure if that's likely/possible, but I can't think of another explanation for such a big outward bulge when my heart contracts. It's about half an inch.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User
Re: Can you feel your heart contracting?

Hi JackBlack, I really think you should get checked out by a doctor. I too feel my heart when lying down but what you've described is different and more prominent. Mine is more of an internal feeling and if I close my eyes and focus, I can feel the blood flowing through certain veins in to the head, neck, arms etc. There IS a slight movement with this blood flowing inside the body and if you are a person with a calm mind, you are likely to notice this. The body actually shakes quite a lot with the heart's rhythm and beating. We don't notice this because we are busy and engaged. If you are to sit down and just focus on the heart, you'll slowly begin to visually see how the body 'rocks' back and forth with the heart's activity :-) I was surprised to see this myself. But if you are noticing the skin bulging....that I do not know of. Better get it checked asap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply