It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
(male)

JackBlack2012 HB User
Slow pulse when standing up

I seem to be having symptoms of POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)

When I stand up after sitting down or lying down, my heart rate slows and the beats become throbs - very forceful contractions that pound in my chest. After about 15 - 25 seconds they will go away and my heart will "catch up".

As an experiment, I lifted my legs above my head before standing and the symptoms were reduced by about 90% - so I do believe that blood was pooling in my legs.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this and what other conditions/problems may be causing this.

As a side note, I recently got a cold virus. All in my chest - respiratory inflammation and it actually reduced my heart symptoms which I thought was very strange - I could stand up fine without any problems. The day I felt better, my POTS symptoms came back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User
Re: Slow pulse when standing up

Are you dizzy when your stand up and your heart slows? My BP drops when I stand up and sometimes my heart goes into an irregular beat and doesn't pump enough. I feel slow, heavy beats and then become dizzy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
(male)

JackBlack2012 HB User
Re: Slow pulse when standing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojoe View Post
Are you dizzy when your stand up and your heart slows? My BP drops when I stand up and sometimes my heart goes into an irregular beat and doesn't pump enough. I feel slow, heavy beats and then become dizzy.
Not dizzy, no. Sometimes I may feel light headed and in the past I've documented low blood pressure during one of these "episodes" but as of late my blood pressure has been 120/70 - which is great.

Lately, however, I have been constantly light headed - even while laying down.

Reply Reply