It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

dan850 HB User
Nuclear Test and Echo

I'm a normal, 47 year old male. No major health issues but my dad had a bad heart attack at 59.. He had no warning signs whatsoever until a couple hours before it happened. He's lucky to be alive. I went to the Cardio doctor 5 years ago just for a wellness check and things were ok. Went again last week just to re-establish myself as a patient and they did a quick EKG, checked blood pressure (normal), etc.. Doctor talked to me and said my EKG had something on it he wanted to check further. Told me not to worry, it's probably nothing. He did schedule me for a nuclear stress test and Echo next week. Reading about it now this seems to be a fairly major test with radiation dye. Do you think this is a very necessary test for me? I'm going to do it but wanted to hear from others if this seems normal to schedule an otherwise healthy person for this test? I figure if i was in my mid-50's then no brainer but i'm 47...not a smoker, not overweight.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Nuclear Test and Echo

Have the test done, I was in a similar situation as yourself.
I had the nuclear test done and it showed my heart wasn't getting enough blood, I then had an Angiogram (Cardiac Cath) which showed two 90% blockages and one 70% blockage - I had a triple bypass 3 days later.

I'm not overweight, had good BP and good cholesterol numbers.
Family history is major risk factor of coronary artery disease and since your dad had a heart attack you could be at risk yourself.

Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply