It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
(male)

jamboz HB User
chances of doxorubicin damaging heart muscle (cardomyopathy)

i am 14 and was treated for burkitts lymphoma 2 years ago using the r-codox-m-ivac regimen which lasted 6 months i have now been in remission for approx. 23 months. anyway at my last 3 monthly checkupmy doctor ordered a echocardiogram to check for heart muscle damage but the lifetimes dose of doxorubicin i had was under 450 mg i thought no damage was done under that dose. what are the i chances i have heart failure im terrified the scan is next week i cant stop thinking about it. i do get palpitations with too much caffeine and sometimes chest pains but the doctor said the chest pains are not heart related and she said when she listened to my heart using a stethescope it sound fine. please help im terrified the echo will show up heart failure im only 14 im too young to die !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: chances of doxorubicin damaging heart muscle (cardomyopathy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboz View Post
i am 14 and was treated for burkitts lymphoma 2 years ago using the r-codox-m-ivac regimen which lasted 6 months i have now been in remission for approx. 23 months.
Sorry to hear that you have had to suffer from and endure burkitts lymphoma, but very happy to hear that you have been in remission! Congratulations!

Quote:
what are the i chances i have heart failure im terrified the scan is next week i cant stop thinking about it.
A damaged or failed heart does not work as well as it should, causing symptoms such as breathing problems; weakness; over-sweating; swelling in the ankles and feet.

The worse the heart failure, the worse the symptoms. Someone with a badly damaged heart has problems getting out of bed without a lot of effort.

When my heart failure was worse, I suffered from major breathing problems from doing minor exercise or work. I had to sit straight up in order to watch TV or to sleep, or I would suffer from nasty breathing difficulties. I had nasty swelling in my ankles and feet. Just standing up, or climbing a couple of steps, was quite an effort.

Now, even though the top part of my heart has severe damage, I can do 100+ pushups per day, one hour power walk, 6 minutes on a stepper, 12 minutes stationary bike, 200 weight curls and 45 weight side lifts, despite the heart failure. I sleep lying down and watch TV comfortably reclining.

Do you have problems exercising? Any problems getting out of bed? Do you tire easily?

You are on doxorubicin, which can also cause some similar nasty side effects.

Congratulations, again, on your success against burkitts lymphoma. And..... best of luck with your upcoming Echocardiogram!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

jamboz HB User
Re: chances of doxorubicin damaging heart muscle (cardomyopathy)

no i have no breathings problems i can lie flat without being breathless although when doing p.e (gym) i am slightly weaker than the other boys in my class but not as weak as the girls (not being sexist but males have naturally more strenght than woman) but my doctor said thats normal she said the fact i can still do gym is quite good after having very intensive chemo. and when you said im on doxorubicin ive been of it since i went into remission)
not sure if it was a type or u misread it)

Reply Reply