It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Having a rough patch of flutters

Throughout the years I've been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. My mother had it so I expect I inherited it. Also diagnosed with a mild or minor aortic valve leak.

For I guess about a week, I've been having lots of extra beats and skipped beats. I have an app on my ipad called cardiograph and it shows the skipped beats and the extra ones. I'd probably be better off not seeing it as now my heartbeat is higher because of worry and fright.

About a month ago my EKG at the doctor's came back not normal so I had a stress test. It was ok so the EKG was a false positive. But the doctor did say I had a very minor leak in the aortic valve. That scared me but now I don't worry too much as I looked at some of my records and think I was born with it. As I was with the mitral valve prolapse. I'm now 68.

But I have times, like now, when these heartbeat irregularities bother me and depress me. I take extra magnesium and all the right stuff. I'm on Toprol XL, 50mg twice a day.

Does anyone else experience long periods of these "flutters"? What do you do about it? How do they make you feel?

I guess I should be used to this by now but seems you never totally understand it all and it is scary nonetheless.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
(male)

man648 HB User
Re: Having a rough patch of flutters

Hi Rico...I just was typing a reply to you and my screen went crazy so I will try again. I have the same problem, sometimes many in a day and sometimes very few. I have had them for about 50 years and it is as worrisome now as it has been in the past. I have been on several different medications over the years and I am currently on amiodarone, not a med without side effects. On occasion I take lorazepam and it seems, at times, to help somewhat. I have days with little to no heart irregularities and I have days and nights with several episodes. I hope you will be able to adapt to them, as I try to, but is has been a real challenge over the years for me. I see my cardiologist at least twice a year for checkups and blood testing for the medication levels. A true help is this healthboard forum. It has shown me that I am NOT the only one that has this problem.
You take care and give the best try you can to adapt to these miserable episodes. We can keep on keeping on if we give it our best shot. God bless....

The following user gives a hug of support to man648:
rico5000 (11-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to man648 For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (11-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you kindly for your response. I appreciate it. It truly does help "so" much to have people like you who share the problem and can discuss it here. As you know, in the past, we pretty much had no one. That horrible loneliness and isolation with the problem made it worse and made us more fearful.

Like you, I have days, weeks, months without any problems at all. And then, out of no where, I have long periods of them.

Thanks again and my best to you.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
(female)

dakotamama HB Userdakotamama HB User
that darned rough patch

Thank God there are others out there! I have yet to be officially diagnosed, but I have been going through this problem for nearly two months now. I have been to the ER six times, with two chest x-rays, three EKGs, one Holter monitor for 48 hours, and am on week 3 of an Event Monitor. I have been told that I have had multiple PACs and PVCs, and some tachycardia. Like everyone I seem to read on here, I keep hearing the phrase "it's normal, everyone has them" as I hook myself up daily to the electrodes on my Event Monitor, and pop my twice daily dose of Metoprolol... followed on occasion by half a Xanax when they happen in a stretch and regardless of the meditation and/or medication, I can't seem to calm myself down and come to grips with the fact that this simply may be my life.

I had an extremely bad day today, where I had multiple in a row. I've never had anything like that, and it took all I had not to go back into the ER for what I now dub my "verbal spanking" and my pat on the head after an hour and a half of hear monitoring. I was able to make it through a few of those rounds today without going in, but am still scared, which seems to be my new emotion of choice. I have never been one of those women, and when I was told originally that it was just panic attacks, I began going to a therapist. She says I tend towards catastrophic thinking when it comes to these benign events. I agree. That's how it feels. It probably doesn't help that my father passed away five years ago today from a heart attack.

Anyway, I just want to say thank you. Just knowing that there ARE real people out there actually struggling with the same thing helped me make it through today.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dakotamama
rico5000 (11-04-2012), Vyking (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

There are "many" of us so don't feel alone. Just knowing you're not alone seems to help and has a calming effect. Those of us who suffer from this, do so from a number of health issues. It's not always the same. But we all tend to share bad anxiety, panic, chronic fatigue and sometime stomach trouble and many other things. We've lived with fear for so long.

I'm finding that certain things tend to cause the fluttering in my case. Coffee doesn't seem to bother me, strange as that seems. And yet tea will --- even decaf tea. I generally have a glass of iced green tea for lunch and it almost always causes at least a few of them.

I also find that stress or physical pain causes it to be worse. There are many triggers. Slow breathing exercises help an awful lot. Anything to relieve the stress and fear is a good thing.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
(male)

man648 HB User

Hi Rico and Dakota... You are right, Dakota, When you say several different things trigger the PVCs for me also. Body motions aggravate mine BIG TIME such as bending, twisting, using my arms over my head, sitting and leaning over, as well as other body triggers. When I used to go swimming they would, at times, start when I was up to my neck in water. Also when I used to ride a motorcycle the air hitting my chest would, at times, start the heart irregularity. So many simple movements could cause the PVCs and/or V-Tach at any single happening or even when I repeated the bending or other body movements. Also stress, caffine and sweet foods trigger the PVCs from time to time. Again I have my good days and my difficult days with the problem and I never know when a movement is going to cause the problem. Take care and be as strong as you can.. God bless..

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so I thought I'd ask - does anyone else get accompanying chest pain? When I had gone into the ER the first few times, it was because not only was I experiencing the PACs, I was having very severe chest pain, even into my left side and both arms. I was told two weeks later that I most likely suffer from costochondritis (an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs) and that THIS was what the chest pain was. Unfortunately, it seemed that the heavy amount of NSAIDS I was told to take was setting off the PACs, so I quit the NSAIDS and figured I had to live with the pain.

Although the pain is beginning to subside, I still get severe shooting pains along with the PACs and tachycardia. Is this normal for the condition?

Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
(female)

Chest pain can certainly go with this. It's even one the symptom list. But the type of pain you describe sounds like it was muscular -- in the muscles of the chest. I had that very pain one Sunday morning. I just "knew" I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER and they gave me every conceivable test and it turns out I had inflamed pectoral muscles. I do lift weights and at that time used pretty heavy ones. So it's likely I pulled something. But those muscles, like all muscles, can get inflamed for any reason or can get pulled or injured.

But yes, there can be chest pain with this condition.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

The Following User Says Thank You to rico5000 For This Useful Post:
dakotamama (11-25-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
(female)

chest pain

Thanks rico5000. I'm having a hard time discerning anything right now. Two years ago at this time I was committing myself to bootcamp, kettlebell, and healthy eating. I lost a good amount of weight and put on muscle... and then had a knee issue and ended up in surgery around this time last year. I had just signed a contract for a gym membership the week all of this started two months ago (gotta love the irony, huh?). I used to know exactly what muscles would hurt when, but this came out of nowhere. I hadn't started weightlifting when all this came on, which is why the costochondritis was such a shock. I keep telling myself it's got to be a muscle issue, but the pain on top of the heart stuff has completely thrown me off my game.

Can I ask - do you still weightlift? I keep thinking that this is going to change my life, but hoping that I have a chance to get close to normal. Do your PACs/PVCs affect your workouts? Or make it harder in the evenings after?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
(female)

leelee58 HB User

I have recently been having heart flutters and increased heart rate. I have had mitral valve prolapse for many years. I recently was diagnosed with high blood pressure and started on edarbyclor and am wondering if that is causing the palpitations. Maybe it is just anxiety over the high blood pressure. I don't know. Any help would be appreciated but i will call my doctor. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee58 View Post
I have recently been having heart flutters and increased heart rate. I have had mitral valve prolapse for many years. I recently was diagnosed with high blood pressure and started on edarbyclor and am wondering if that is causing the palpitations. Maybe it is just anxiety over the high blood pressure. I don't know. Any help would be appreciated but i will call my doctor. Thanks.
I'm not familiar with that medication but I do know that some BP meds can cause palpitations but it's been my experience that's it's not too likely. You can do a search on the drug and look at the side effects if it won't make you overly anxious.

I'm guessing you might be anxious over your blood pressure. I know from my own experience that worry over the BP will really mess things up and cause the flutters and palpitations.

I suggest you try some slow breathing exercise and try to calm things down. I sometimes hold my breath for 12 seconds and that will generally stop the tachycardia. Of course, that can also temporarily raise your bp but it goes right back down and it doesn't always raise it at all.

Of course, you should discuss this with your doctor. If he or she feels it's the drug, they may opt to give you something else. The main thing is to try and calm down and not worry. And oh do I know that's so easy to say and so hard to do.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

The Following User Says Thank You to rico5000 For This Useful Post:
leelee58 (11-25-2012)
Reply Reply