It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

dakotamama HB Userdakotamama HB User
More frequent/Intense during menstrual cycle?

I've been dealing with PACs, PVCs, and tachycardia for 2 1/2 months now. I just started my cycle and I could be wrong, but it seems that my "events" (as I am still technically undiagnosed - I see a cardiologist in two days) are much more intense and frequent when I'm menstruating. Has anyone else noticed this? Could this be a hormone imbalance?
I'd also like to preemptively thank you. Seeing others out there with the same problems (not to mention living with them) is saving my insanity.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
(male)

MrScott66 HB User
Re: More frequent/Intense during menstrual cycle?

My wife suffers from palpitations and sometimes scary episodes of atrial fibrilation during her period. She is 47, and pre-menopausal. Her GYN said that it is a hormone imbalance, but she won't prescribe hormone therapy because she's afraid of clotting. I would see your GYN about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

slobberjo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamama View Post
I've been dealing with PACs, PVCs, and tachycardia for 2 1/2 months now. I just started my cycle and I could be wrong, but it seems that my "events" (as I am still technically undiagnosed - I see a cardiologist in two days) are much more intense and frequent when I'm menstruating. Has anyone else noticed this? Could this be a hormone imbalance?
I'd also like to preemptively thank you. Seeing others out there with the same problems (not to mention living with them) is saving my insanity.

So what did the doctor say??? i would love to know cause i am dealing with this same problem. for years right before my period my heart would race and pound now all of a sudden it skipping beats and has been horrible during this months cycle. my dr didnt even check me bwfore saying its anxiety blah blah. this is ruining my life

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
(female)

Well, Slobberjo, I am still working on it. I've had a number of "cardiac" work-ups, including EKGs, an Echo, and even a stress-test, and have been told that all is fairly normal, or in the words of my cardiologist "not normal, but not abnormal", at least as far as the tachycardia. I've been put on a beta-blocker, and of course given an anti-anxiety med for when it gets a little worse. I must say, once I got settled into the right dose of beta-blocker, I felt a lot better.

As far as hormones, I've only been off my birth control for a few weeks now, so hopefully soon we can start with some hormone testing. My doctor figured being on BC would skew the results if we did any kind of testing, so she wanted to get me off for a full cycle before we tried that route.

My advice to you: find a doctor who takes you seriously. It took me a few, but I've now got two, three if you include my cardiologist, and all of them are very sympathetic and working very hard WITH me and FOR me to get everything comfortable again. Don't give up. Even if you can't get that magical answer as to what's wrong (I still don't have one), you CAN get to a point where it's livable. Please let me know how it goes! I'd love to compare notes with you!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

slobberjo HB User

Hey just giving you an update. I went to the dr tuesday and was seen by a different person because my regular dr was out sick. This new dr has sent me to the cardiologist and Im now on the 24 hour heart monitor. I turn it in tomorrow morning and was told that I can get my results in about 5 days. To me thats 5 days too long. But anyway I will definitely keep you posted and you do so as well. I hate it for anyone that has this problem. It doesnt hurt or make me feel weird its just annoying and scary.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
(female)

slobberjo HB User

Hey me again. just got my results and im having pvcs the cardiologist said could be caused by hormones and even stress. he said they are nothing to worry about that lots of women have this issue. I am so relieved!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
(female)

I'm so glad you got the answers you wanted! I got the same answer, but I'm still struggling with it. I even went off my birth control to see if that helped. It didn't. I still have every symptom I started with, and after quite a few meds, everything remains the same. I can't seem to keep myself from thinking this isn't benign, which stresses me out and my system. I have noticed that regardless of BC or not, everything gets much worse during the last 2-3 days of my cycle. Good luck to you! Keep in touch!

Reply Reply