It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
(female)

annawarren HB User
Reality check needed!

I'm new to the board, and need to get a bit of perspective on my situation - you all seem very knowledgable here and less likely to be emotional about it than my family!

I'm a 38 yr old female with a complex medical history - rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis and Type 2 diabetes. At the moment all the conditions are well managed with a molatov cocktail of medications! I have been prone to gastric pain, and now take Prosilec / Omeprazole to tackle that. A couple of weeks ago, I had pain in my chest, an ache just to the left side of centre, below my collar bone and some pain going into my shoulder and arm. I suspected it was gastric and asked my GP to put up the dosage of Prosilec. He felt it would be prudent to do an ECG which he faxed to a cardiologist. They felt there was some indication of T Wave inversions and so I had an appointment to go and see them last week where the did a 12 lead ECG and it showed the same.

As my mobility is poor, I can't do a stress test. They suggested a thallium scan instead and will do that in the next 6 weeks. The consultant said that I was what they would class as "intermediate risk", particularly in light of the diabetes, and that of course, if was better to know than not know. She said that if the scan indicated a problem they would then go on to do an angiogram.

Daft thought it may seem, I feel terribly shocked by it all - I really had thought my GP was just being over cautious! I'm plagued by gastro pain so much that it seemed an obvious conclusion... I'm sitting here now with the discomfort again, and I just feel frightened. Am I likely to keel over? I'm trying to tell myself that they wouldn't have let me go if they were really concerned. Is this just a precautionary process of eliminating it or is there a real chance that this is a heart issue...

I'm usually very stoical about these things, but it's been a tough year health-wise and this has really caught me a bit left field!

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to annawarren:
TracyM1 (11-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Reality check needed!

Has your GP given you nitrates, just in case?
I had a burning sensation in my throat - I ended up having a triple bypass.

I thought the burning was indigestion or reflux related, I would never have thought it was my heart.

I don't think you're likely to 'keel over' just take things easy until you find out what the problem is.

Good Luck.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

annawarren HB User

Thanks for your reply, Vyking

I haven't been given any nitrates - which I'm hoping is a positive sign rather than an error!!

Today, I feel slightly less anxious about it all...hopefully you're right about not keeling over - I may just have to put my athletic ambitions (!) on hold for the moment ;-)

Anna

Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

TracyM1 HB User

Hi Anna,

I don't have any of the problems that you have at the moment, however, last year at the age of 41, I started to feel intermittent chest pains...when I say pain...it felt like a hot boiled egg was stuck right in the middle of my chest!...A burning sensation!...that was on the Monday..I thought to myself if it continued the following day I would visit my GP. It did continue,however the GP couldn't fit me in and I was told to go to the "walk in clinic"...they took an ECG...and I was whisked to hospital with the "blues n 2's"....after hours of waiting and endless tests...I was told that my heart was fine and sent home...next day the pains were getting worse and I manged to see my GP...again ECG proved nothing was wrong...the following day I went back to the GP and saw a nurse...she said my heart was fine ( the whole time the pains were getting more frequent and MORE painful!) she said it was probably an ulcer and gave me meds for that!!!...Next day ( friday )...I was back in A&E....and yet again they said nooooooo your fine....then on the Saturday.... the pain intesified, BP went to 249/ 156 before going off the paramedics BP motitors scale..... and low and behold, I was whisked away again...only this time I was told I was having a heart attack!!!!....I ended up having an angiogram +2 stents and the cardiologist told me that if he hadn't intervined when he did...I would have been dead in a week!

I really don't want to scare you, just want to make sure that you are being told what is really going on and by doctors who know what they are on about...this was my reality check, I had a kick in the butt that sometimes many people don't get and for every day I am grateful.

Keep at the doctors Ann, do some research online...and don't be affraid of telling doctors what YOU think....remember this...GP's know a little bit about a lot of things...

Best of Luck

T x

The Following User Says Thank You to TracyM1 For This Useful Post:
Vyking (11-16-2012)
Reply Reply