It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

BeautifulFool HB User
Possible PVST

Hi! I am a 16 years old girl. Ever since I was around 10 I have been experiencing heart palpitations. One moment I will be fine, and the next my heart will start racing and beating very hard. It is sometimes triggered by physical activity, but is often triggered by simple things like standing up, bending over and picking something up, moving to fast,or even sneezing. These episodes last anywhere from a couple seconds to hours. After the attacks my throat and chest ache and I am extremely tired and drained. I know when an attack starts because my heart will skip a beat and then "click" into this new rhythm until it decides to go back to normal. I often feel light headed before and during these attacks almost to the point where I feel like I will pass out. My vision has blacked out a couple times along with my hearing and tingling in my fingertips.I have discovered that usually I can stop the attacks by leaning foward and putting my head between my legs, or in the summer going into a freezing cold pool so the water is up to my chest.I haven't told my parents yet because until recently I thought it was a normal thing that happened to everyone. I've been doing research lately and thought that they may be panic attacks, but i never felt a sense of fear or anxiety before an attack.Doing further research I think it might be a rhythm disorder specifically PSVT. Could this possibly be it? Is it dangerous? Should I see a doctor? Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BeautifulFool; 11-18-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Possible PVST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulFool View Post
Hi! I am a 16 years old girl. Ever since I was around 10 I have been experiencing heart palpitations. One moment I will be fine, and the next my heart will start racing and beating very hard.
I had the same problems when I was a teen. My main triggers were cigarette smoke, allergens and pollen. Allergies played a big role in my Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia (PSVT).

Quote:
These episodes last anywhere from a couple seconds to hours. After the attacks my throat and chest ache and I am extremely tired and drained.
The increase in heartbeat and irregular heart rhythm are the result of the excessive release of various hormones, like adrenalin. The excessive hormones (chemicals) circulating in your metabolism, are what makes one feel drained and ill and causes other nasty problems, IMHO.

Quote:
I know when an attack starts because my heart will skip a beat and then "click" into this new rhythm until it decides to go back to normal. I often feel light headed before and during these attacks almost to the point where I feel like I will pass out. My vision has blacked out a couple times along with my hearing and tingling in my fingertips.
The severity of symptoms holds the key to the risk of a heart problem. I experienced the same skipping, and click as you did. I just did not experience any nasty symptoms, as you are experiencing.

So...... what do you do? You need to either find out, and avoid, the many possible triggers of the PVST, like food, drink, pollen, allergens, irritants, etc., or go on medication that will block the excess hormones that cause the PVST.

Do you drink coffee or tea or soda, or anything else that contains caffeine? Do you eat chocolate?

How is your diet? Do you consume too many carbs and sugar in a day? Are you overweight?

Do you smoke, or are you around smokers?

Quote:
I have discovered that usually I can stop the attacks by leaning foward and putting my head between my legs, or in the summer going into a freezing cold pool so the water is up to my chest.
I used to get rid of mine by lying on my back and taking deep, slow breaths in and out, over and over again. Sometimes I would take a deep breath, hold it and then slowly and calmly let it out. It worked for me for a long time, until it stopped working.

Quote:
I haven't told my parents yet because until recently I thought it was a normal thing that happened to everyone.
Your parents need to know. You definitely need to be under the care of a competent doctor, preferably a cardiologist with a good reputation. I suffered from PVST for decades before I finally sought medical help. That was not smart to do. I was playing Russian Roulette with my heart. If I could go back to my teenage years, I would definitely have told my parents and sought medical help.

I hope that you are able to get help for your possible PVST, and are able to live a normal, enjoyable, healthy life!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
BeautifulFool (11-23-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
racing heart