It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
(female)

tami210 HB User
insomnia from Beta Blockers

My problem is rapid heart rate and moderate high blood pressure. After lisinopril and atenolol brought blood pressure too low, we tried just atenolol. which caused extreme sleepiness during day, insomnia at night, cold hands and feet, dizziness and numb legs. So switched to Bystolic, 2.5mg did not bring down heart rate enough, so went to 5mg. Now have insomnia. melatonin time release worked for a couple of days. Benzos don't work either. desperate for an alternative. Taking it at night now. Thinking of taking in morning instead. Or is there an alternative drug that might be better?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

puglifeaz HB User
Re: insomnia from Beta Blockers

I was on Bystolic 20mg daily and had the worst insomnia. Nothing helped until I came off it and now I take Diltiazem which isn't as effective, but has no side effects for me. Hope you get some sleep soon! I know how hard it is to be up all night!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
(female)

tami210 HB User

I didn't take last nights pill thinking I would take it in the morning, or in the middle of the night if need be. Slept 9 hours straight. This morning I'm 120/80 pulse 90? I'm pleasantly surprised. Wondering if I should just not take the pill at all. I don't plan to and will play it by ear. I feel so much better having slept. Wow!! Have appt with doc Monday. Will definitely ask about CCB's if need to. No more BB's! Thanks so much for responding.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

leelee58 HB User

Hi I know you wrote this in November but i was wondering if you solved this problem. I started bystolic 4 days ago for the same reasons, high pulse rate and high blood pressure. I am having numbness in left leg and hand and insomnia. Did you switch to a calcium channel blocker? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
(female)

puglifeaz HB User

I had the same issues, I weaned off and went back on Cardizem (Diltiazem 240mg ER) and they went away. It doesn't make my BP as low as the Bystolic, but the only side effect I have is a headache when I first start or change doses that goes away after a week or so. I will only go back on a beta blocker in a last case scenario because of how I felt on them. I have my energy back finally, it took me about 2 months to feel 100% again.

Good luck!

Also, I found that taking Zzzquil worked for sleeping when I was having insomnia on Bystolic. I would check with your Dr just to make sure they are ok with you taking it (mine was).

The Following User Says Thank You to puglifeaz For This Useful Post:
leelee58 (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
(female)

leelee58 HB User

Thanks for your help. I"m afraid to switch again but I will see if this numbness continues. I'm not sure if this is serious or just aggravating. Today is my 5th day on bystolic because all of the ace inhibitors gave me terrible migranes. I called my doctor and she said bystolic doesn't cause numbness but I have read that it does. I'm frustrated with meds right now but need to keep my blood pressure and heart rate lower. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

puglifeaz HB User

Also after 2 weeks on bystolic the side effects did decrease for me, so hopefully you get used to it soon too!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
(female)

leelee58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglifeaz View Post
Also after 2 weeks on bystolic the side effects did decrease for me, so hopefully you get used to it soon too!
Thanks and I will try the Zquil for insomnia. I have xanex that was prescribed 2 months ago when this all started for panic attacks, but those have gone away I think due to the beta blocker. The xanex does help me sleep but I don't want to get dependent upon it. Did your doc say anything about the numbness being serious or not? I will try the bystolic a few more days and pray it gets better because my blood pressure and heart rate are good. Thanks so much for your help. It's very scary trying to figure all of this out and it is so nice to have someones help. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
(female)

leelee58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee58 View Post
Thanks and I will try the Zquil for insomnia. I have xanex that was prescribed 2 months ago when this all started for panic attacks, but those have gone away I think due to the beta blocker. The xanex does help me sleep but I don't want to get dependent upon it. Did your doc say anything about the numbness being serious or not? I will try the bystolic a few more days and pray it gets better because my blood pressure and heart rate are good. Thanks so much for your help. It's very scary trying to figure all of this out and it is so nice to have someones help. I really appreciate it.
I have been on the bystolic for 2 weeks now and sleeping a little better but not much. Still taking xanex to sleep but hopefully will be able to stop. Now I just feel mentally foggy or lethargic, not really sleepy though. Has anyone experienced this and do you know if it will pass? I don't like feeling like a zombie but I've tried so many blood pressure medicines that I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
(female)

leelee58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglifeaz View Post
I had the same issues, I weaned off and went back on Cardizem (Diltiazem 240mg ER) and they went away. It doesn't make my BP as low as the Bystolic, but the only side effect I have is a headache when I first start or change doses that goes away after a week or so. I will only go back on a beta blocker in a last case scenario because of how I felt on them. I have my energy back finally, it took me about 2 months to feel 100% again.

Good luck!

Also, I found that taking Zzzquil worked for sleeping when I was having insomnia on Bystolic. I would check with your Dr just to make sure they are ok with you taking it (mine was).
Hi just getting back to this post and I was womdering how you weaned off of your beta blocker. I still feel terrible on bystolic, like a zombie, but can't sleep without xanex. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
(female)

puglifeaz HB User

I would check with your dr first. I took one every other day for a week, then half every other day for a week then a forth every other day for a week. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to puglifeaz For This Useful Post:
leelee58 (01-27-2013)
Reply Reply

Tags
beta blockers, insomnia, rapid heart rate