It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
(male)

WackyHeart HB User
My heart went haywire

Hi,

I don't even know where to begin. Maybe with what's happening with my heart nowadays. Sometimes it feels like it's going to skip a beat, just to come back in time but with double the frequency. This goes on for 5-20 seconds (VERY rarely more), then with some pause, and after a quite powerful bang everything's back to normal. Nothing unusual on this board, right?

Well, here's the kicker. I have them coming and going continuously. I mean sometimes it goes away and I'm in double speed again in 5 seconds. Sometimes it comes ~30 times in an hour. Sometimes I don't have any for months. Having a cold definitely aggravates it, as does eating a lot.

It all started back this spring after I caught a cold in Hong Kong. 3 days later I was on a plane again to Asia and middle of the flight my heart just started pounding fast. I mean FAST. Never have experienced anything even remotely close to that I went into panic mode - then it disappeared. And was back a minute later. And gone. And back. And gone. And... After landing and walking around for some hours it completely disappeared for the next 2 months.

Over the summer I occasionally got the speed-ups, usually in the middle of the night, but 2, 3 times max in a row (or just fell asleep with them). In the past few weeks however it's plaguing my life on a daily basis ad I'm kind of freaked out. Not about the quick beating (I rationalize to myself that if it was really dangerous I'd be dead by now) but about *** is going on? Not to mention the annoyance as the whole thing kind of pulls my mental focus inside my body - you know what I mean.

I'm 33, no history of heart disease in my family, though I have a slightly enlarged my but my doc said it's extremely unlikely it would cause me any problems during a normal life span. I'm not the healthiest person around (LOTS of sitting) and have an unhealthy posture but I don't do drugs, alcohol, coffee, smoke, etc. Had an EKG this summer and it was "wonderfully healthy" as the doc put it.

Anyhow, my guess is that it's PVC since my pulse seems to be every second beat or so but it's kind of hard to tell (but pulse<beats for sure). I have no headaches, chest pain, shortness of breath, nothing, just kind of a feeling of blood rushing when my heart BANGS back to normal. Oh, I can of course feel it coming on before it happens, it feels like when your chest is going under water (which for me used to be a really comfy feeling as I love swimming).

I know your advice would be to hit the doctor's office asap but this is not exactly possible right now as I'm in the third world again until the end of Dec.

I take any and all ideas about *** is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
(male)

WackyHeart HB User
Re: My heart went haywire

Anyone?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: My heart went haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyHeart View Post
... It all started back this spring after I caught a cold in Hong Kong.
Virus or bacterial infections can cause permanent damage to one's immune or nervous systems. Thereafter, your heart rhythm and blood pressure can be negatively effected by various simple and/or complex triggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyHeart
Over the summer I occasionally got the speed-ups, usually in the middle of the night, but 2, 3 times max in a row (or just fell asleep with them). In the past few weeks however it's plaguing my life on a daily basis ad I'm kind of freaked out.
During the evening, the body's circadian rhythm causes major changes to the production of several of the body's 300+ hormones, which can have quite an impact on how one feels and one's metabolism, nervous and immune systems.

Quote:
Not about the quick beating (I rationalize to myself that if it was really dangerous I'd be dead by now)
The heart is an amazingly tough and durable organ. It can take tremendous abuse and still keep pumping. The quick beating, and other associated heart rhythm problems, can become dangerous if conditions cause the beating to become more agitated, putting the heart under more stress, or if the quick beating continues to stress the heart over a long period of time, IMHO.

When my heartbeat goes nuts, I try to relax and take it easy, at that time, so I don't further agitate my heart.

If you can't avoid triggers that cause your heart to misfire, or mis-function, then you might consider medication that will somewhat alleviate your heartbeat/heart rhythm problems. Finding a medication that will "calm" your heart, without uncomfortable side effects, can be difficult.

Quote:
I'm 33, no history of heart disease in my family, though I have a slightly enlarged my but my doc said it's extremely unlikely it would cause me any problems during a normal life span.
Slightly enlarged what? Heart?

I don't trust most doctors to provide accurate diagnosis, and I especially don't trust most doctors to forecast the future of one's health.

If it were me, I would want to know exactly the condition of my heart. If it is truly enlarged, I would want to know what parts of the heart ( left or right atrium or ventricle ) are enlarged and how did the doctor determine the size of the enlargement. An enlarged heart could explain why the heart is misfiring or mis-functioning, but proper diagnosis of an enlarged heart must be done by a competent Cardiologist using appropriate tests.

Have you ever had an echocardiogram? Do you know the condition of your heart valves?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-14-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Reply Reply