It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
(male)

OBX1971 HB User
PVC's and Beta Blockers

Hello.
Over the past 3-4 years I have been experiencing PVC's on a daily basis. Some days are really bad while other days they are nonexistent. I have been to a cardiologist a few times and had multiple EKGs and two stress tests. The diagnosis has been benign PVCs and nothing to worry about. Of course, I find it impossible not to worry about these...especially on the bad days.I do have quite a bit of anxiety. The cardiologist gave me a sample of bystolic (beta blocker) and said to try them to help me not notice them as much. I want to try them but am afraid of the side effects (mainly the risk of heart attack). The doctor said they are safe but has anyone had any history taking these for PVCs? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
(male)

MX6guy HB User
Re: PVC's and Beta Blockers

I've have PVC's as well. Some days they are steady. I can't walk fast or my heart skips and i get chest pain. This has been going on for almost a year. Any like you the doctors say just to live with it.

Also It causes pressure and pain in my neck. My doctor said its because the PCV's cause the blood to flow backwards the the veins causing pressure.
Do you get neck pain in the front and sides ?

I wore a holter monitor and it showed 2900 pvcs in 24 hours. I am on Atenol 25mg and it seems safe. (but don't take it with any other Blood Preasure meds) The atenol doesn't seem to stop the pvcs, but softens the heart beat.

Last edited by MX6guy; 12-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

dakotamama HB Userdakotamama HB User

I've been experiencing some of the same problems: PACs, PVCs, and mild tachycardia (all diagnosed benign after much testing). I've been on a beta blocker for going on 6 weeks now, and I've got to say that it really does help. It's like putting a pillow over a speaker - that incredible skipping feeling is well dulled. I finally found the right dosage (still fairly low) and it seems to be working great. In my mind, the slight possibility of a side effect is outweighed greatly by the decrease of my symptoms and anxiety because of them.

I know that there has been much in the news recently, specifically that study in October by a Netherlands group, about beta blockers not being effective needs to be researched better. It is still greatly effective for those who NEED it, those with issues of tachycardia, high blood pressure, etc. If your concern is that great, you should discuss it with your doctor, or even a cardiologist. Get a second opinion if you need to. But remember too, that generally when your doctor prescribes a medication like this it's because the likelihood of you feeling better with the med outweighs the likelihood of the possibility of a side effect.

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not going to tell you to take the med or not, but I CAN say that it has worked well for me. I also do not plan on being on it long term, nor does my doctor think I need to, so you may want to take that into account too. Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how it goes! Prayers to you!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
(male)

MX6guy HB User

Have you been tested for Thyroid ? You should be before going on this betablocker (it says).
I had a endoscopic test to check my stomach for ulsers and was put on Prevaid after the H-pak (kills the ulsers). I had a severe reaction to it that made my heart skip and race like crazy ! My doctor wouldn't even admit the prevacid may have been the problem, but looking at the side effects on the web, it was a common reaction.
The problem is these drugs have so many side effects, you have to research them your self.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
(male)

OBX1971 HB User

Hi.
Thanks for the replys. I am going to try and see my cardiologist and ask him some more questions about this. I'm sure he will say the same things he has in the past but I will feel better if I do. I am sure the horror stories and bad side effects are a tiny percentage of the people who do take these but it makes me hesitant to pop that first pill. I hear the beta blockers help with anxiety as well....maybe I'll get dual help.
Thanks again and I will update when I can finally get in to see the doctor.

J.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

I take a beta blocker for several reasons including pvc's. The slower heart rate and less forceful beat helps. I have fewer pvc's and the ones I have don't take my breath away like they did before.

My cardiologist said the risk of heart attack comes if you abruptly stop taking a beta blocker, especially if you have other heart problems and risk factors. While on it, the beta blocker actually reduces the risk of a heart attack.

Reply Reply