It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

justaguy300 HB User
beta blockers reduce the heart rate

Can you talk about your own experience? Which one you take (mg), how much does it reduce and what would your heart rate be without it
What are the side effects you experience?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
(male)

MX6guy HB User
Re: beta blockers reduce the heart rate

I take 25mg of Atenolol because i have a lot of (PVC's) skipped beats (some days 1 out of every 10) Atenolol isn't a cure but softens then beat so they don't hurt as much. (they hurt in the neck because blood of forced backwards up the vein)
I have no real side affects to the atenolol.
But i had terrible side effects to Prevacid (for stomach ulsers) which made my heart race randomly and skip even more. My PB was 190/110 with the prevacid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
(female)

Katie4593 HB User

I take Metoprolol Succinate ER 50 mg, reduced my blood pressure 170/90 to 120/70, also my pulse use to be 95, now is 70. I have had absolutely no side effects.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
(male)

andybgr HB User

I take Blocatens, I don't know if you have same medicine in the US. I am in Europe.

they are beta blockers.

I was diagnosed with high BP and arhythmia (not dangerous kind).

I take 5mg (half a pill of 10mg). I take 5mg each morning as I wake up (I think they are dangerous to take them before sleep because they drop your heart rate).

They dropped my heart rate to normal, my heart feels like a relief from being tired - very calm. The arhythmias stopped. My BP dropped from 190/110 to 140/95 and sometimes it goes down to normal 120/80. I am still taking the medication.

no side effects.

there were a few days which I tried not to take them though (because I thought I was fine), I had chest pains. I asked the cardiologist about it and he told me that the heart is trying to get used to the normal heart rate, so when I don't take pills the heart tries to pump up as it did before I took the pills and
I feel the chest pains (that's why I keep on taking the medication until it cures me completely).

Last edited by andybgr; 12-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

I take atenolol, 150 mg. That's 100 in the morning and 50 at night, because my heart rate was creeping back up in the evening. Heart rate dropped from 85-90 to 55-60.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

dakotamama HB Userdakotamama HB User

I previously was on Metoprolol ER 25mg twice a day, very little side effects after the first few adjustment days. Felt it worked very well. I had normal BP to begin with, but was put on Beta Blockers due to a sudden onset of PACs and Tachycardia.

I was recently switched to Bisoprolol 5mg once a day. One of my docs found a study that people who suffer from chest pain (like myself) seemed to do much better on this beta blocker versus the others. I really don't like it. I'm constantly dizzy, and anytime I turn my head too fast, change position, or even roll over in bed it feels as if I've completely lost my balance. It also seems to do very little as far as lessening the intensity of the symptoms I was taking it for.

I realize it can be dangerous to switch back and forth, but I have an appt with my Cardiologist in a month and am going to ask him to put me back on the Metoprolol. Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

I developed AFib after a bypass in 2009.
I was given Sotalol to control the arrhythmia, I take 80mg twice a day.

I suffered a lot of dizziness which went on for months - today I guess I'm used to the drugs as I feel terrific and you would never know I have heart problems - until you see the zipper on my chest.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
(male)

justaguy300 HB User

Thanks guys.
Well, my blood pressure is 120/75 all the time, but my heart rate seems to be 95. It seemed like when my rate was lower than 90, I felt alright. That's why I wondered if I should take it. I guess beta-blocker is not the solution for me.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
(female)

pohjonen HB User

I spent Christmas in the hospital because I was having chest discomfort and a very fast, irregular heartbeat - that being 140 sitting still and quite high blood pressure as well. I was ultimately diagnosed with Multifocal Atrial Tachycardia and a Wandering Atrial Pacemaker. In other words, too many electrical impulses from different places telling my heart when to beat. I was put on metoprolol 75 mg twice a day. My blood pressure is normal now and my pulse is in the 80's (which is slow for what I am accustomed to, even when I was normal) and even goes into the 70's sometimes. I no longer have what was becoming the familiar sensation of my heart galloping along like a humming bird on crack. I am more comfortable then I have felt in years. The beta blocker is like a wonder drug for me. It's like coming off of a 15 year adrenalin rush. Or the short answer - YES.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
(male)

justaguy300 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
I spent Christmas in the hospital because I was having chest discomfort and a very fast, irregular heartbeat - that being 140 sitting still and quite high blood pressure as well. I was ultimately diagnosed with Multifocal Atrial Tachycardia and a Wandering Atrial Pacemaker. In other words, too many electrical impulses from different places telling my heart when to beat. I was put on metoprolol 75 mg twice a day. My blood pressure is normal now and my pulse is in the 80's (which is slow for what I am accustomed to, even when I was normal) and even goes into the 70's sometimes. I no longer have what was becoming the familiar sensation of my heart galloping along like a humming bird on crack. I am more comfortable then I have felt in years. The beta blocker is like a wonder drug for me. It's like coming off of a 15 year adrenalin rush. Or the short answer - YES.
I didn't have a good christmas and new years either. I have been having really bad palpiations since dec 6 (the day of my 4th attack). On dec 10, I went to local clinic and the doctor said it is anxiety and prescribed citalopram 10 mg. It had no effect. On dec 29, I went again and another doctor prescribed metoprolol 25 mg twice a day. I am taking half the amount and WOW, no more palpitations! I do feel weird at the chest level as usual but at least the palpitations are under control and my heart rate is in the 75-88 bpm range instead of 90-97 while sitting or just walking inside my house.

I can go for long walks. I can do things around the house. Perhaps one day, I can go back to work.

Reply Reply