It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

Katie4593 HB User
19 year old with blood pressure 170/100, doctor won't send to cardiologist

I'm 19 years old and have been battling high blood pressure for the past three years (at 16 I was told my blood was 130/80), now at 19 it has consistently been 170/100. When I saw my primary doctor all she did was prescribe me a beta blocker, Metoprolol 25 mg, and was told to come back in a month, I went back in a month & my blood pressure was still high so she increased it to 50 mg. I weight 120 lbs, eat healthy & am active so it's strange my Blood Pressure is so high at a young age, only thing is my father has hypertension as well. One day I was suffering from severe back pain so I called the office to make an appointment & my doctor was booked for a week so I got an appointment with another doctor. When I had my appointment the first thing the doctor asked was your 19 and had a blood pressure reading of 170/100, she was shocked and was in disbelief of this & how my doctor never tested me for the underlying causes. She then sent me to get a ct scan angiograph of my kidneys to rule out renal artery stenosis & a 24 hour urine analysis. The results were luckily normal, but she told me if the results were normal we'd talk about me seeing a cardiologist. I recently called the office to leave a message with her to speak about the cardiologist, the message was accidently delayed to my regular primary doctor who's nurse called me back today saying that seeing a cardiologist is very unnecessary. I appreciate any advice, is this negligent for my doctor to do this? I'm thinking of switching to the doctor that sent me for the tests and making a future appointment with her. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User
Re: 19 year old with blood pressure 170/100, doctor won't send to cardiologist

If I were you, I would go back to the doctor who ordered the tests. 170/100 is not normal.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie4593 View Post
I'm 19 years old ... has consistently been 170/100. ...... One day I was suffering from severe back pain
There are many things that can cause high blood pressure and/or heart rhythm problems, including chronic pain, allergies, chemicals, smoke, irritants, stimulants, diet, stress, etc., IMHO.

The more "triggers" of high blood pressure, in someone's life, the more likelihood of unhealthy levels of blood pressure.

How long have you been suffering from back pain?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-10-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
(male)

MX6guy HB User

Whats your diet like ? Try going for a week with no caffiene , no fast food and low salt , then check your BP.

I go to a local drug store and sit at the machine and relax . taking about 4 tests over 10 minuites. Its alway high when you first walk in, but after 10 min should be lower. Mine is usually 160/95 first, the last is 140/85 . Im happy with that on an average working day.

Last edited by MX6guy; 12-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

It can take time to get your blood pressure under control - it can take a number of meds before they find the right combination, it's trial and error.

A BP reading of 170/100 is not going to kill you unless it stays like that for a number of years - give the doc time to find the right combination of meds before you run off to a cardiologist - you may not even need a cardiologist at all.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Vyking; 12-11-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
high blood pressure