It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
I changed the time that I take the wonderful, curative Coreg. Wow, what a difference!

Who would have thunk that taking my great, healing Beta Blocker: Coreg (carvedilol) at 3:30pm instead of 5pm would make such an improvement in my energy, strength, breathing and optimism!?

I love what Coreg has done to improve my health. It is a wonderful, healing medication! Buts..... it has been very tricky to take. If I make a mistake with my diet, or if I make a mistake with my allergies, or if I encounter an Asthma trigger, then I tend to have more breathing problems, at night, due to the Coreg.

Over the years, I have frequently changed the schedule of my medications, in order to improve upon how well they worked, or to lessen side effects. A couple of weeks ago, I started taking the nightly dose of 25mg Coreg, at 3:30pm instead of 5pm. What a difference! Wow! It's just an hour and a half earlier, but, boy what a difference!

Just wanted to post this possibly useful information, as an example of how the time-of-day that we take our medication could have a significant impact on how our body reacts to our medications.

Of course, before anyone changes how they take their medication, they should check with their doctor!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-11-2012 at 02:41 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
man648 (03-04-2013), sjb (12-14-2012)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: I changed the time that I take the wonderful, curative Coreg. Wow, what a differe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I love what Coreg has done to improve my health. It is a wonderful, healing medication!
I am very thankful to be able to take a inexpensive, miracle medication like Coreg (Carvedilol). Wow!

Quote:
Just wanted to post this possibly useful information, as an example of how the time-of-day that we take our medication could have a significant impact on how our body reacts to our medications.
How come medical professionals and pharmaceutical companies do not provide better information regarding when and how to take medications!?

Besides the improvements I have experienced by varying the times that I take Coreg, I have been able to further improve my health, and quality of life, by varying the times that I eat, and the times that I sleep, based on how my night-time Circadian Rhythm seems to effect my body.

Our metabolism changes constantly, over the 24 hour day, especially at night. So...... it's reasonable to assume that medications and foods and sleep could have different health-effects, based on "time-of-day", metabolic changes due to our Circadian Rhythm. I still have some more experimenting to do, but I am really excited by this apparent break-though, improvement in my health.

It's been only three wonderfully, improved days. I am close to 70. I suffered from heart failure, permanent atrial fibrillation, leaky valves, chronically high blood pressure, Insulin Resistance, MCS/EI, etc., 25 years ago. All of these nasty health problems are under control and in very healthy states, but I live a very restricted life to survive these diseases with a reasonable quality of life. I have slowly been able to reduce the restrictions on my life and improve the quality of my life, by trying to understand and work-around the quirks of my Circadian Rhythm. I have learned that we CAN do more, on our own, to improve our own health!

I will post more detail and information, after I continue to experience nice, pleasant health improvements for a few more days.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Donatelife (03-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: I changed the time that I take the wonderful, curative Coreg. Wow, what a differe

Quote:
It's been only three wonderfully, improved days. ... I will post more detail and information, after I continue to experience nice, pleasant health improvements for a few more days.
It's now been 20 days since I changed the evening time that I take Coreg, and changed my evening eating and sleeping times. I am enjoying the improvements to my energy, my strength and in how well I feel. I am now positive that the improvements in my health and well being are the direct result to the changes in my evening schedule.

Patients are always looking for ways to improve their health, and to feel better, by natural means, and without taking additional medications and without additional expensive, frustrating and time consuming visits to doctors. I have found ways to do this.

I believe that one size doesn't fit all. When it comes to the schedule for eating, for sleeping, for exercising and for taking medications, we are all somewhat different. But...... I am not suggesting that anyone copy what I have done, but to just think about what I have done to improve my own health.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Machaon, You are absolutely right. Timing makes such a difference with so many medications! Everyone who takes meds would benefit from making up a spread sheet on onset, peak and duration of every med they are on, like on Excel or something similar. You can find that info online or in PDR at local pharmacy or library. Either for peak effect and duration, or to avoid side effects, timing can make a huge difference, Some examples I can think of- Neurontin for RLS takes about 3 hrs to kick in so taking it right before bed will not work! Wellbutin twice a day can cause insomnia, so taking the second dose early in the afternoon can help it wear off before bedtime. Taking iron at night will avoid the nausea. Progesterone can cause dizziness, so taking it at night helps. Beta blockers wear off and your heart starts racing and pounding. Knowing the duration of your med allows you to time the next dose to avoid that uncomfortable gap. It is all adjustable, and some meds can be switched from AM to PM or tweaked by a few hrs without any deleterious effects, and a significant improvement in how one tolerates or benefits from them. Thank you so much for bringing up this important aspect of medication taking, and how patients can be more proactive in managing their health. Few Drs will ever take the time to explain these small nuances that can make such a difference in how meds work!

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Machaon (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
... Thank you so much for bringing up this important aspect of medication taking, and how patients can be more proactive in managing their health. Few Drs will ever take the time to explain these small nuances that can make such a difference in how meds work!
Ladybud, I really appreciate your interesting and helpful suggestions, and for the detailed information regarding specific medications/supplements; and the possible effects of timing! You've given me quite a bit of helpful information to think about.

I am still dumbfounded by the effects of taking my evening Coreg dose 90 minutes early. I not only feel better but I am doing better! But, I can't find any information, about this, anywhere on the Internet. Nevertheless, I really don't have to understand it. I just have to enjoy the results!

Thanks, again!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I changed the time that I take the wonderful, curative Coreg. Wow, what a difference!

Quote:
... Besides the improvements I have experienced by varying the times that I take Coreg, I have been able to further improve my health, and quality of life, by varying the times that I eat, and the times that I sleep, based on how my night-time Circadian Rhythm seems to effect my body. ...
My most frequent problem at night, around once a week, is labored, or more difficult breathing, probably caused by the magnificent Beta Blocker: Coreg (Carvedilol) and its effect on my asthma. I think that I have found a way to avoid ALL breathing problems during the night by understanding and working around my Circadian Rhythm. I no longer have any breathing problems at night. If true, it is such an easy fix.

Too soon to tell. I am going to test my Circadian Rhythm experiment for another few weeks and then provide an update!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... I think that I have found a way to avoid ALL breathing problems during the night by understanding and working around my Circadian Rhythm. I no longer have any breathing problems at night.
It has now been 25 additional nights without any breathing or sleeping problems. I feel rested in the morning and have plenty of energy, despite the Heart Failure. I do my most strenuous and important exercises right after I wake up and before Coreg has a chance to sap my energy.

The moral of this story? There are natural ways to improve one's health or to improve one's reaction to medication. The time that medication is taken can influence the effects of that medication in either a good or a bad way, IMHO.

And... the body's metabolism pumps hormones based on it's circadian rhythm. One can harness one's circadian rhythm to benefit one's health, IMHO.

I'll provide more updates as I continue my experimenting and continue to better understand what is happening.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... There are natural ways to improve one's health or to improve one's reaction to medication. ...
Just wanted to share some positive results from taking a natural approach to health problems.

I haven't had breathing problems, or significant heart rhythm problems, at night in months! I seldom get tired or fatigued from taking 25 mg of Coreg (Carvedilol) twice a day. My ankles, feet and legs seldom swell and I never get chest pains. I usually have energy and feel great. And... most important! I have been able to eat two vats of buttered, salted popcorn per day without any problems, for quite a while!

My blood pressure is still healthy all the time, morning, noon and night. It was 100/58 at 9:30am this morning and I felt alert, energetic and great! My 2 hour postprandial blood sugar was 108 at 10am!

I attribute the improvements in my health and quality of life to the changes in my lifestyle, and medicine schedule, and my latest increase in exercises to: 250 full pushups; 140 side weight lifts (10 pounds each arm); 150 side curls; 14 minutes stepper; and 2 half hour power walks! I believe that doing relatively strenuous exercises every day can produce dramatic improvements in health.

I eat a vegetarian diet of seven small, balanced meals per day, totaling about 2000 calories per day, which includes three one-egg microwaved omelets per day; and two vats of buttered, salted popcorn.

There is worsening access to healthcare, caused in part by a significant shortage of doctors. So it's so important to do the most that we can do to improve our health thru natural, inexpensive means, such as healthy diet and exercise.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
(male)

journ HB User

Hi Machaon,
I've also discovered that moving my medication taking times can make a great deal of how I feel throughout the day! Use to take my beta blocker in the morning and drag my arse all day long. Now take it at night around dinner time so it doesn't effect me so much at work or during exercise. Even though now I will skip a day or two (or even more) if I feel that's I'm dragging my arse to much. As you are well aware of the fatigue that beta blockers are famous for.
I'd like to stop taking the beta blocker but for some reason I always go back to it. I think it makes me feel better, more relaxed! Strange? And I can exercise better and longer while taking it.
Take care,

The Following User Says Thank You to journ For This Useful Post:
Machaon (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

This thread is more like a diary than anything else, but that's okay.
And it's good to see people happy with their progress and feeling they are managing well.
I think we all have different ailments and different responses so that no single solution exists for all. The lesson, as you show, is to vary things and keep trying different ideas until we get the best balance - something that suits our health conditions and lifestyles.
Machaon, with your exercise you are certainly doing a lot, but I wonder if working really hard adds real benefit. Two-fifty pushups seems a lot for 70yo with a heart condition and taking a beta blocker - and that's at 50mg/day - a lot. The BB is slowing you down and slowing the HR rate, and this is where part of the benefit of a BB is supposed to come from. Of course it's up to you, but I think on balance moderate exercise might achieve the same end.
As far as Coreg goes, if I didn't know you better I would say you must work for Pfizer, or whoever produced it originally, when it was about $100. But now that it's generic and only a few $$ I have no qualms about anyone pushing it. For me BBs are just too much load and I go from slow to a virtual halt - I need just the opposite. Many ppl find that.
Anyway, good to hear from you, and good luck with it.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by journ View Post
Hi Machaon,
I've also discovered that moving my medication taking times can make a great deal of how I feel throughout the day! Use to take my beta blocker in the morning and drag my arse all day long. Now take it at night around dinner time so it doesn't effect me so much at work or during exercise.
That's interesting! I take 25mg Coreg at 4:30am and at 3:30pm. The morning dose used to drag my arse for several hours. It doesn't effect me as bad any more. The evening dose never seemed to bother me, much. Hmmm!? I never questioned why or why not.

Quote:
Even though now I will skip a day or two (or even more) if I feel that's I'm dragging my arse too much. As you are well aware of the fatigue that beta blockers are famous for.
I suffer with heart failure and permanent atrial fibrillation. I haven't missed a single dose of Coreg in the last few years, regardless of the side effects. But, for me, that is because each time that I take my Coreg I feel that it is helping my heart to rebound and get better.

I looked at some of your posts. You had a massive heart attack, 13 years ago, at age 38, followed by a quad bypass! Wow! That must have been quite a shock to you and your family. I don't know the statistics of heart attacks, but I would think that having a massive one at your age is very unusual and rare. Congratulations on surviving from such nasty and threatening health problems!

You posted that you are on 100mg of the beta blocker acebutolol. I am not familiar with that bb. I researched beta blockers. I ran into many articles and clinical test results showing the remarkable healing effects of Coreg (Carvedilol), especially when related to my health problems. When I started going to the Cleveland Clinic, I requested 25mg of Coreg twice a day. Best decision I ever made! My condition and quality of life have improved dramatically since I've been on the 50mg Coreg.

Quote:
Excercise 5-6 days a week. Biking or walk. weights. About 1 1/2 hrs at a time.
Good to read about your significant exercise program! It's great that you have the determination and ability to exercise like that!

How have you been doing? How do you feel about your recovery so far? I hope you are doing and feeling very well!

Quote:
I'd like to stop taking the beta blocker but for some reason I always go back to it. I think it makes me feel better, more relaxed! Strange? And I can exercise better and longer while taking it.
Take care,
For me, the worst part of exercising is when I am just getting started. The first 15 full pushups take a lot out of me. However, subsequent pushups get much easier. I am guessing that, since beta blockers suppress adrenal hormones, such as adrenalin, my first set of pushups kinda wakes up my adrenals a little, and results in a little more adrenalin. Sounds good to me!

I'm glad that you have also found a way to take your meds, so that your side effects are more tolerable. Hopefully, our positive experiences with how we take our meds can be helpful to others.

Take care, be well ...

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak View Post
... Machaon, with your exercise you are certainly doing a lot, but I wonder if working really hard adds real benefit.
I judge the value of my exercise program by how well I feel, how much I can eat and snack; how well it improves my symptoms and how much physical activity and work that I can do; and my checkups and tests at the Cleveland Clinic.

Quote:
Two-fifty pushups seems a lot for 70yo with a heart condition and taking a beta blocker - and that's at 50mg/day - a lot.
I really cannot believe it myself! I find it wonderful that my wife doesn't have to deal with me incapacitated, or dying. Last week we had a heavy downpour down here in South Florida, and after hours of rain, we developed a leak. I was able to climb up on the roof (not an easy task onto itself), and do leak repair to seven different "possible" locations. I am pretty sure that I sealed the correct spot. Time will tell. Subsequently, during our power walk, my wife told me that she was sorry that I had to go thru that ordeal. I then told my wife that I enjoyed being able to do physical work like that it gave me a great deal of satisfaction.

Quote:
Of course it's up to you, but I think on balance moderate exercise might achieve the same end.
On the contrary, the more exercise that I do, the better I feel, both physically and health wise. I'd like to increase my exercise some more. Each time I do, it yields significant benefits. Plus... my doctors and Cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic are much impressed by my conditioning.

Quote:
As far as Coreg goes, if I didn't know you better I would say you must work for Pfizer, or whoever produced it originally, when it was about $100. But now that it's generic and only a few $$ I have no qualms about anyone pushing it.
I have spend countless hours studying the various classes of medications, and the medications themselves, in search of the perfect medication for my heart and health conditions. Coreg (Carvedilol) is in a class of it's own. It is a miraculous, healing medication. It has had a profoundly positive effect on my health. I cannot believe that mankind has developed such a wonderful medication. Healthboards is a great forum to share our own personal experiences with others. So... I choose to share my LOVE for Coreg (Carvedilol)!

Quote:
For me BBs are just too much load and I go from slow to a virtual halt - I need just the opposite. Many ppl find that.
I have found that, the stronger and healthier I get, the less that Coreg fatigues and slows me down. However... because of Coreg's side effects, only those who really can benefit from it's marvelous healing powers, should take it.

Beefsteak, I have read many of your helpful, knowledgeable posts and I appreciate your comments.

Thanks, and best of luck and health!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
(male)

journ HB User

Hi Machaon,
For me, the worst part of exercising is when I am just getting started. The first 15 full pushups take a lot out of me. However, subsequent pushups get much easier. I am guessing that, since beta blockers suppress adrenal hormones, such as adrenalin, my first set of pushups kinda wakes up my adrenals a little, and results in a little more adrenalin. Sounds good to me!

I think this say's it about me too! It takes me about 10 minutes on my bike to get going at a decent pace, then I'm just cruising, lol! Then I can ride around 40 miles and then wash my truck and wife's car afterwards (summer time.) And still have energy afterwards (most days it's 18-20 miles then weights, 650 crunches, stretches.) And without the beta blocker, I do find this hard to do. So it helps me a lot! Right after my heart attack walking 5 minutes winded me, now I need 10 minutes just to warm up lol.
Acebutolol is a beta blocker that stimulates the heart, but at the same time slows down the heart rate!
Doctor said when I had my heart attack that I would not be able to go back to my job! Well I proved him wrong! Yes, don't see him anymore! Worse thing for me would be to sit behind a desk all day long. My job is physical, that's the way I like it.
Machaon sounds like your in very good shape, keep up the great work!!!
Take care!

Old 11-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... Then I can ride around 40 miles and then wash my truck and wife's car afterwards (summer time.) And still have energy afterwards (most days it's 18-20 miles then weights, 650 crunches, stretches.)
I am amazed at your personal tale of triumph over your life-threatening massive heart attack and subsequent damage to your heart. You had a massive heart attack; damaging 10% of the functioning of your heart; and needed four Coronary artery bypass grafts (CABG); but your cardiologist said that your heart was too weak to endure the operation until six months later! That means that you had to wait six months, knowing that four arteries were plugged up! That sure would have made me nervous and stressed out!

And now... you are pushing your body and your heart much more than most men your age, who have healthy hearts! Yours is a great come-back story. In fact, your heart recovery and my heart recovery should give confidence to others that it is possible to, not only survive nasty heart problems, but to significantly rebound from them!

Tis much better to be proactive and take more control over ones own health, rather than sit around worrying and over-relying on our overburdened, expensive, crowded medical system!

Keep up the good fight!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Reply Reply