It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

WildRose AB HB User
Question ASD surgery or device

Hello, I am 38 ans recently diagnosed with 2 ASD and waiting for treatment. I am very nervous or maybe reluctant to have a divice maybe 2 placed inside my heart when there is risks that I will worry about for years afterwards. I am leaning towards surgery because when they are fixed I will not worry and life can move forward. I have 2 young children and want to make the right choice. Is there anyone that has advice?

Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

kate502 HB User
Re: ASD surgery or device

I am sorry to hear that. I've been diagnosed with ASD back in june and I have gone through the surgery on 11/21/12. I have decided to go with my surgeon's advice to go directly to the heart surgery since the hole is very closed to the valves. The surgeon is afraid that in a few years the valve might be damaged by the device and by then it will require a major surgery. There is also no guarantee that there will be leakage afterwards. However, it is a small procedure and requires less recovery time. So do discuss with your cardiologist the size of the hole and any possible damages. As for me, I was supposed to have a small opening on the ribs under the ampit (about 2 inches), but the vein in my tight is not big enough, I ended up with incision on the center on my chest(about 3-4 inches and only trimmed some of my ribs). It wasn't too bad, but I've developed pneumonia right after the surgery, so it kind of slows down my recovery because I've been coughing quite a lot. Honestly, the moment after the surgery, I felt much regret, but I know for long term after I am totally recovered, I will be happy about it. I cannot give you advice but share with you my experience sine I have not tried the device, so I hope someone can share with you their experiences. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to kate502 For This Useful Post:
WildRose AB (12-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

WildRose AB HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is nice to have someone to chat with that is going thru the same thing. I have not seen a surgeon yet, but have seen my congenital cardiologist and the interventional cardiologist. I feel like i need to see what the surgeons have to say before i can make a decision. I dont want complications down the road. I wish you well in your recovery.

The following user gives a hug of support to WildRose AB:
kate502 (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

kate502 HB User

You are welcome. I assume you've already done the TEE and found out the exact size. If you decided to do the surgery, I hope you don't have to do the median sternotomy (center incision) like me because it requires longer recovery time and scar is noticeable. Ask about the right thoracotomy (right side) of the ribs or the sub mammary incision (under the breast). I think the in ion on the right side rib would be less painful and shorter recovery period (only 6-8cm incision). Well, if the hole is small, surgeon might suggest for the procedure instead because it's less painful and recovery time is the shortest. Hope your doctors will provide you with the best solution. Take care!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

WildRose AB HB User

How are you doing?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
(female)

kate502 HB User

Hi WildRose AB,

Did you get a chance to discuss with your cardiologist or surgeons? I hope things are going well for you. As for me, it's been almost eight weeks since my surgery, I feel that my recovery is pretty slow. But please don't let this scared you. I am just having issues with my throat. It might be due to the development of pneumonia after the surgery. It doesn't happen to everyone. I guess my throat was super sensitive. After the nurse removed the breathing tube, I threw up and accidentally swallowed some of my own vomit. My lung immediately collapsed and I had to put the tube back for a few more days. In the past several weeks, I was afraid to dine out because my throat always hurts unexpectedly and I was feeling quite depressed. Nowadays, I basically control mt breathing to avoid the pain and because I have mucus in my throat and at the same time, I feel that the breathing pathway shrunk, I am having hard time swallowing. Anyway, I was encouraged by my husband to go out more often. So I've tried to eat out with friends and do some shopping (I need to shop for round neck or turtle neck clothings to cover my scar for noe). Overall, if it isn't the pneumonia, I think my recovery would have been much faster. Anyway, I can't wait to go back to work because being at home is very boring.

Wishing you a happy and healthy 2013!!

Kate

Reply Reply

Tags
asd, device, surgery