It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

peachychou HB User
dysautonomia, powerful pvcs at night only?

hey guys, so I started having IST a few months ago and started taking beta blockers back in september for this. I have gradually increased my dose to about 100mg per day, and take about 35mg before going to sleep as I sometimes wake up with a racing heart. As a potsy my nervous system does all sorts of wacky things and I get tachycardia just by standing. Sometimes I also wake with SVT.

Anyway last week I ate a lot of spicy food and my insides were burning at night. I was uncomfortable and about 3am I laid down I started having powerful pvcs. They were going at about 6-8 a minute, a few bigemeny, I tried taking more beta blockers, an antacid, drinking some lukewarm water, switching positions, still no change. I have never had pvcs this bad, got really scared and went to the er. They couldnt record any extra beats on the ecg and sent me home. This went on until about 8am, they finally stopped and I slept until 2pm.
This has been going on for the past week since. Every night like clockwork, from 11pm to 8am, they begin and I lie there in tears because they are so forceful and often that it hurts and I get dizzy and no sleep. As soon as I stand up they disappear. Sitting down, lying, bending over, flocks of them come.

I tried upping my potassium and magnesium, no change. It doesnt seem to matter if I eat nothing or loads, if I press my stomach I can literally make them appear. I get do worried about the faint feeling and chest pain I get with the beats. They really hurt.

What distresses me is the fact that they seem to follow a vagal/ nocturnal time pattern. I hear about arrythmias like brugada that come at rest and I seriously get so scared. Could it be possible that my heart rate is actually too low at rest? I heard if the vagal nerve is overstimulated, it slows the heart rate, and if this rate is too low, ectopic & escape beats occur. But the lowest my heart rate gets on BB is like 60, my usual resting heartrate is about 85-90. My dr is TOTALLY disinterested because I had an uneventful 24 hr monitor 6 months ago. I asked for an echo to make sure my heart is structurally normal but he said I was wasting his time! Ive seen a few drs and they dont even acknowledge pots as a real syndrome. What should I do? Ive had so many ecgs but none ever cspture these horrible beats. Anxiety doesnt worsen them, relaxation does! I havent slept for 2 days and I'm at my wits end. Please help me!

I'm becoming very distressed about all this and how they seem to

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: dysautonomia, powerful pvcs at night only?

You certainly deserve to have an echo, as the position of lying down may be triggering the PVCs, which could be related to valvular abnormalities. You should also have your thyroid levels checked just to make sure you are not hyperthyroid which can cause tachycardia and PVCs. Caffeine can cause PVCs too, so I would make sure not to have any caffeine past 2 PM, as it can affect you for 8 hrs. If the PVCs occur after you have fallen asleep, I would get checked for sleep apnea. This causes low oxygen levels which often triggers PVCs. Lastly, smoking causes PVCs in some people, so hopefully that isn't an issue. If your Dr is so disinterested in this, I would find a new one! A cardiologist should be consulted, who should be more interested in helping you. Dysautonomia and POTS are true disorders, and it is a shame your Dr. is misinformed.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
peachychou (01-10-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
peachychou (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

peachychou HB User
Re: dysautonomia, powerful pvcs at night only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
You certainly deserve to have an echo, as the position of lying down may be triggering the PVCs, which could be related to valvular abnormalities. You should also have your thyroid levels checked just to make sure you are not hyperthyroid which can cause tachycardia and PVCs. Caffeine can cause PVCs too, so I would make sure not to have any caffeine past 2 PM, as it can affect you for 8 hrs. If the PVCs occur after you have fallen asleep, I would get checked for sleep apnea. This causes low oxygen levels which often triggers PVCs. Lastly, smoking causes PVCs in some people, so hopefully that isn't an issue. If your Dr is so disinterested in this, I would find a new one! A cardiologist should be consulted, who should be more interested in helping you. Dysautonomia and POTS are true disorders, and it is a shame your Dr. is misinformed.
Thank you so much ladybud! With your encouragement today I spoke to another doctor who was a bit more reluctant though understanding, fought my corner and FINALLY after months I have got a referral for an echo in a few weeks time. He also suggested CBT for my anxiety which I agree I need, but I'm glad I found someone who understands this is NOT in my head. Until then I won't be able to sleep easy but still, progress! Again, thanks! *hugs*

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety attacks, pots syndrome, pvc's, pvc's and gas