HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   ER Visit- Sent Home Tests Negative-Enough Done?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/935063-er-visit-sent-home-tests-negative-enough-done.html)

kewe 01-12-2013 12:32 PM

ER Visit- Sent Home Tests Negative-Enough Done??

I don't want to post a huge wall of text so here goes I'll try to make it readable in list form.

-40 years old male, good physical shape, lift weights, 2 days cardio per week 30 minutes, OK diet, no smoke, binge drank through college and up until about 3 years ago (1 or 2 weekend nights), hardly at all now, somewhat prone to anxiety/panic, history of heartburn (always responded to tums/zantac)

[B]Tues[/B]- Heartburn would not respond to Zantac. first time ever this happened. Scared. Went to ER, ekg, blood, chest xray negative. GI cocktail given, felt better went home (prescribed protonix for the GERD and follow up with doc)

[B]Wed[/B]- fine all morning, then Wed Evening, muscle weakness, felt like flu but no temperature

[B]Thurs[/B]-muscle weakness worse, still no temp, minimal appetite, upset stomach, bad heartburn

[B]Friday[/B]-muscle weakness gone, appetite improved a little, on and off abdominal and chest pain. Chest pain felt a little like heartburn but not quite as strong. Would move from chest to upper abdominal (mostly middle, but sometimes right and left).

Chest/ab pain did not respond to protonix, zantac, and tums. Back to ER.
EKG-negative, blood tests-normal, blood pressure 129/89 (a little high for me, but I'm stressing out!)

GI cocktail given. Chest pain still there.

Sent home- possible Gastritis

[B]Today-Sat[/B]
Still chest pain that comes and go, not exactly like heartburn that I'm used to. Abdominal pain gone.

The chest pain I describe is like heartburn, nothing crippling, but slightly uncomfortable and scary after reading stories on internet.

So, did the ER do everything they should have? Should I have had stress test or angio test? I guess if I was having a heart attack, I'd be dead by now-3 days? Or is this a warning?

Totally freakin out, tryin not to let it on to the kids, but having a hard time being my happy self.

Advice please?!?! THANKS!

Stretch1one 01-12-2013 03:23 PM

Re: ER Visit- Sent Home Tests Negative-Enough Done??

Wow Kewe I know 100% where you are and where you have come from. So first a little bio on myself also 40 male good shape work it weights and cardio. I have had progressive heartburn symptoms for 7 years. Where am I now i take Zantac once every morning and if needed at evening time or tums or Gaviscon you should go get some of it it's a lifesaver. In between now and 7 years ago has been a ruff road especially last two years. I too have been to the ER for chest pain or burning. And with a history of my dad and grandfather dead from heart related death I was for sure that's what it was. You first need to get a endoscope to make sure that there is no major damage to your throat or esophagus. Once that's clear assuming it is they need to do a abdominal ct to check for a hiatal hernia. If that's clear and you still get chest pains echocardiogram and a treadmill test to clear the heart. Hopefully you have some sort of insurance otherwise these will be way to much money on your own. Anxiety will drive you nuts thinking about this your family will get tired of you talking about trust me its like the boy who cried wolf cause you not dead and you wake up every morning right. Few can relate unless you've been there which I have. So lets talk this is a safe place to do it. I to this day get daily chest pains because I has non cancerous Barrets esophagus from years of poor treatment so I get yearly scope to keep an eye on it was almost gone on my last scope.i also have a hiatal hernia which is what causes my chest pain.my heart was cleared so that helped tons.ni use to be on PPI but after 5years on them I thought I cold still do whatever I wanted we'll that will catch up with you.

Ok so lets deal with the now for you there is a high likelihood that the Protonix will take some time to work they always do nothing heals in a day it's like a bruise or cut weeks or more to heal this is your throat telling you it needs to heal. Nothing is instant the days of popping a tums or zantac are probably gone. Until you get healed then maybe you can go back there again.

ER will not help you trust me they are not setup to treat chronic problems they just aren't they are there to save your life when your dying or badly injured.

So lets start getting you better first do you have insurance?

Vyking 01-12-2013 03:31 PM

I had burning in my throat in 2009 which I thought was reflux related - I ended up having a triple bypass.

I don't have the burning now. :)

kewe 01-12-2013 03:52 PM

Thanks for the response. Helps a bit!! I do have pretty good insurance. The soonest appt I could get w/ GI doc is feb 5!!

I dunno if I can handle the stress until then. To my wife I prob seem like a little hypochondriac wussy.

Stretch1one 01-12-2013 04:42 PM

Yeah I know that feeling so what's your main concern right NOW ? If its chest pressure or pain take a couple of Advil for the pain that's your vagus nerve if your throat is swollen or sore it can make contact with this nerve and make the pain move to many places left right center of the chest left right center of the back also armpit my GI dr I see and the cardiologist dr I saw 6month ago confirm that atleast in my case the damaged ive done to my esophagus can and will make contact and cause pain.
If its burning you have all you can do is treat the acid with whatever works.
Here is a list of things that may help
Honey before food
DGL chews before food
Chewing gum after food
Aloe Vera juice
Apple cider vinegar after meals
Any OTC meds IE tums Malox Gaviscon that my favorite and pepto
Any H2 blocker zantac Pepcid sort of thing my dr has told me I since my size what ever that means like I'm some giant not 6 foot even 225lbs ok so I'm a little over weight 20lbs he tells me that I could take as many as 3 zantac 150 a day instead of 2
At several points I was taking omeprazole twice a day then one hour after those Zantac twice a day with my dr consent of course.
There are a host of side effect you may be feeling also from the PPI until you get use to them.
If you were my neighbor I could just give you what you needed lol but oh we'll good luck have a few drinks in the evening to take the edge off until you get it under control
If it gets to bad there's always the ER Good luck

kewe 01-12-2013 04:56 PM

Both mild pain that comes and goes and mild burn. I'll try the antacid first. Thanks so much! I'll hold off on the drinks for now. Seems to aggravate it. I'll post an update tomorrow how things are feelin.

Stretch1one 01-12-2013 05:07 PM

Sounds like a plan day by day it will get better.

kewe 01-13-2013 07:03 AM

Last night had dull chest pain, burning. Managed to fall asleep and dream about it all night, but slept, none the less.

Woke up this morning with massive lower back pains which of course sent me into a panic which prob induced me being out of breath. Sent EKG via phone in with event recorder, which I have for palpitations. Person didn't seemed concerned with the EKG she saw.

Calmed down a bit and back to sleep. Woke up again up with massive headache, like a hangover. No other pain though. Had some breakfast/coffee and feeling a lot better. No panic, no pain, no heartburn so for this morning. Took protonix as prescribed. Feeling much better now

Stretch1one 01-13-2013 09:30 AM

Have you tried taking a antigas pill after meals to see if it reliefs any of the pressure its very easy to get trapped gas in you stomach that will cause a dull like pain or pressure right in the middle of your chest it you headache is pretty classic i use to those when i had a rough night before waking up thinking your going to die will definitely cause shortness in breath i use to also get cold sweats among other things. Maybe if possible take a trip to the store pick up some things if you dont have them already
Antigas pill. Zantac remember you can take this with your protonix. As needed and some Gaviscon or something similar this will give you some tools to help combat heartburn. Good luck

kewe 01-13-2013 11:59 AM

Mild, dull Chest pain back. Sucks. Took gas x about 45 mins ago. Doesn't seem to be doing much. I'll give it some more time.

Stretch1one 01-13-2013 04:29 PM

Have you tried taking a probiotic drink or pill it will not do anything for the pain but it keep things moving so you don't get so much reflux cause when you take a PPI or h2 blocker it messes up you good and bad bacteria ratio the probiotic adds to the good. The gas pills if there are going to work will take 1 to 2 hours you will know cause of the rumbling you will hear like when you hunger

kewe 01-13-2013 04:51 PM

I take vitamin code multis. They have probiotics. Should I try to add a drink to that too? About 2 hrs after gas x, I felt a little better, but still that annoying dull fullness. I feel like such a B!&@* And still scared but thx, bro, you're really helpin out

Stretch1one 01-13-2013 05:30 PM

This thing sucks if you meet me at work you would never know that I had this I work hard bust a$@ and get the job done but when you feel like junk what are you suppose to I never knew what to do you think you're going to die then you don't so you find yourself self checking every symptom in your body then next thing your over analyzing way to much things. I take the gas pills 30mins before eating certain things just in case. Gas can also come from the way you eat if you gulp food or drinks can just add to the pain and pressure of having Gerds/heartburn whatever you want to call it. Do yourself a favor and look up hiatal hernia. Just try it if it doesn't help we'll move to the next thing have you drank any Gaviscon? Builds like a buffer between your throat and stomach. Remember this may not stopped until led its healed .

kewe 01-13-2013 05:48 PM

It could very well be hiatal hernia. I dunno. Haven't tried Gaviscon yet. I guess the scariest part is that up until 4 days ago I could easily tell it was heartburn cause it burned real bad and responded to Zantac.

Now it doesn't burn so much but it causes that chest pain and doesnt respond to the meds all of a sudden making me fear it's my heart.

Ugh!

Stretch1one 01-13-2013 07:01 PM

Yep that's the point where you went from heartburn to inflammation of something.
Advil will help