It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
(male)

mariposa9 HB User
Irregular heartbeart.

If youve been on this board, I know youve seen it many times, and I apologize for that, but in the last four days my heart has suddenly been beating irregularly on a more consistent basis. I seem to notice it more when Im sitting or lying down. Walking or standing no problem. Last night when I went to bed it just wouldnt stop.

Its worrying me because this has never happened before. Today when I woke, it was fine, but I fear later in the day it will begin again.

Please help

Thanks

Last edited by mariposa9; 01-23-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
(male)

justaguy300 HB User
Re: Irregular heartbeart.

I think it is common to feel palpitations more when lying down. I have that case and so do others. I imagine you get that feeling of your heart is going to stop. I have been through that for 8 months. It sucks but perhaps you have to get used to it.

More importantly, visit a local clinic. An ECG should show the irregular beats. I imagine they will do blood pressure, blood test, chest x-ray also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
(male)

yar 250f HB User

one thing that worked for me is taking a magnesium supplement--cant really take too much-but at least 100 mg/day-- also foods like bannanas--and make sure you're getting regular rest--i finally had an ablation but am still taking it sort of easy--only had it 5 days ago -so am not suppose to do anything strenuous for 1 week--then we'll see

The following user gives a hug of support to yar 250f:
Val623 (02-25-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User

I've been suffering from irregular heartbeats since I was a child. I notice things I do help it and sometimes it is years since I have a bad case but then BAM I get them. So it's important to look at your diet, "garbage in, garbage out" it's so important to change it. I now drink 2 veggie smoothie's a day. When I wake up I have a glass of water with lemon squeezed in it. The most important is water throughout the day. I go walking and started with light weights. It's all about taking care of yourself...but sometimes it just happens. I had that nasty flu for 4 weeks..I tried taking care of myself but one night I had irregular heart beats throughout the night. I was scared. It is scary!! I am now considering taking yoga to learn to calm me down.
I do notice that when I lie down-that's when they start..if I have them. I have read from many post that this happens. Good luck with all of us-it's a hard thing to deal with.

Oh and zero alcohol..that's like putting a spark to gasoline.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User

I've had this all my life. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and a small aortic leak. I've taken beta blockers for it for about thirty years and it helps but has awful side effects. Mine bother me most after I sit down or lay down. Or when I'm in pain. Like once I slammed my finger in a door and my heart started fluttering.

The first thing I suggest you do is see a good cardiologist and get an echogardiogram and whatever he or she advises. They're non-invasive tests and tell a lot.

Chances are it's not serious but whether it is or not, you want to know what causes it. I take 400 mg magnesium malate per day. 200 2x. Sure helps me. I'll sometimes go take one if I'm having flutters and they seem to stop shortly afterwards.

I find too that the more you worry about them and fear them, the worse they get. I've also found that slow breathing exercises several times a week do wonders.

I think most of us with this problem have suffered from it while laying down. I find too that I'll often awaken either at night or in the morning with my heart pounding.

If you've not seen a doctor, I would see one and find out what's causing it. He or she can give you something to slow your heart rate if necessary and properly diagnose whatever is causing it.

Meantime, try not to worry. Many of us suffer from this.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
(male)

mariposa9 HB User

First off, thanks for all the kind replies.

Last monday, I went to the ER. They did the usual tests: bloodwork, chest, and a stress test, and it appears that my potassium was low, and that seemed to be causing my palpitations.

I take chlorathadone, a diuretic, for high blood pressure, but they said it was depleting me of potassium, so they gave me a bunch of potassium and my palpitations, for the most part, have gone away. But they also "changed" my bp med to norvasc. I'm not comfortable with the change... I've heard bad things about it. Besides, I've discovered I would need an extra blood pressure med, not take one away I've grown accustomed to.

Anyway, I took 5mg of norvasc, and my regular 25mg of chorathadone today. They wanted me to stop the diuretic, and just take 10mg of norvasc. That idea didn't appeal to me. I'll check my bp later.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User

Yes potassium is a key. It seems like you are on the right track. I'll also say this, I stopped eating a heavy meals after 5pm. If you eat a heavy meal at night and go lay down..forget it. I mean I was having some serious irregular beats that made my arm move. Since I changed my diet, I have had none. I am going to write a post soon detailing my experience. I understand your fear because I have lived with it for most of my life. If you are uncomfortable with any change in your meds, contact your doctor. Good luck!!

Reply Reply