It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

TrishDee HB User
heart problems!

Hi I am 30 years old and for the last six months I have been having heart issues.

I woke up one morning feeling sick to my stomach and boom out of the blue my heart rate shot up and would not go down (HR 140) . I freaked and made my husband take me to the ER where I had an ekg, bloodwork and a chest x ray all of which came back normal. I left with a 4 day supply of ativan and was told it was anxiety. I do have anxiety problems but until then had never had a panic attack.

I then wore a holter monitor for 24 hrs which was fine. I then was referred to a cardiologist by my primary doctor to have a stress echo. Those turned out to be normal but I was still freaked out so the cardiologist had me wear an event monitor for 21 days. The results show one pvc which the cardiologist told me not to worry about.

I still have heart palpitations almost everyday I feel like I can't live my life because I am fear of having a heart attack. I take metoprolol and that seems to help the fast heart rate and palpitations somewhat but as most of you know have terrible side effects. I have had bouts of severe panic (racing heart, chest discomfort, SOB) for 6 months!

I asked my doctor if I could be back to the cardiologist but she told me that they will not treat anxiety and suggested I see a psychiatrist! This may sound crazy but I want a heart catheterization done to ease my mind because that is the only thing that will definitively tell me if I have a clogged artery. Am I crazy to want this??

I have had high blood pressure (which is just hereditary), no major family history of heart disease, (dad has HBP grandpa had MI at 68 but lived till 80)but don't drink, don't smoke, normal weight, never had high cholerstrol and eat fairly well. But I am afraid to exercise because of fear of having a heart attack. I just don't know what to do anymore and I want my life back!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
(male)

justaguy300 HB User
Re: heart problems!

I started out with a weird feeling in my chest but it didn't bother me.
1 month later, had an attack with heart rate of 120. Went to ER and they did blood pressure, blood test, chest X-ray, 2 ECG and all was fine. They said it was perhaps extrasystole and could not catch it on the ECG. They let me go.
Then I was ok for 1 week and felt bad 1 week (heart vibrations, dizziness, light headed, chest pressure, vein shaking).
Had another attack. Went to ER and same thing. Nothing was done.
As usual, I feel ok 1 week, then bad.
A couple more attacks and this time, I could barely get out of bed. My chest would shake from the palpitations. I went to local clinic a couple of times. The second doctor FINALLY wrote a prescription for beta-blocker (metoprolol).

The thing is, my heart rate tends to be 85-95 (while I'm sitting). When it is in the 90s, I feel really bad. The doctor sees 95 and sees my blood pressure is fine (120/73), therefore nothing is wrong.

The metoprolol made a big difference since I'm having major palpitations since dec 6 2012. I can now get out of bed and do stuff at least. I still feel chest discomfort.

Strangely, the nausea and dizziness have disappeared. I don't feel tired. It is the damn palpitations + chest discomfort.

I'm also taking magnesium carbonate, potassium chloride.

Reply Reply