It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
(male)

JasonAlteroz HB User
Powerful, fast heart beat but otherwise healthy

About a month ago I awoke after a night of heavy drinking, a habit i rarely indulge in, and felt my heart beating rapidly and powerfully. Naturally, I was a little worried, but I didn't think too much of it and went on as normal.

However, my heart continued to beat faster and harder, to the point where it is now regularly at 100bpm when sitting, and it quickly jumps to 150bpm when standing or doing any kind of physical activity.

I made an appointment to see my GP, but I wasn't overly concerned. I checked my blood pressure at my father's suggestion, who suffers with mild hypertension, and measured it at 110/70 - nothing remarkable there.

The doctor did a rather cursory (imo) physical exam and a few blood tests, but found nothing abnormal and ascribed everything to anxiety -- a diagnosis i firmly disagree with, but I suppose I'm a poor judge of my own levels of anxiety. He did, however, detect a slight heart murmur, which may have been there for a long time.

Based on this assessment, he concluded that no further investigations were needed. I asked if he would refer me to a cardiologist, but he said given the non-urgency of my situation, I would have to wait several months before I could see one through the NHS.

I'm a little ambivalent about everything. On one hand, I feel pretty much fine and I tend to agree with the doctor's conclusion that there is nothing to warrant further tests. Nevertheless, I still can find no adequate explanation for the intensity and frequency of my heart beat.

To give you an idea of it's force, my neck visibly pulsates, my abdomen violently "jumps" about an inch in time with every heart beat, my fringe (bangs) vibrate a little with each beat, and I can feel the pulse throughout my entire body. When lying down in bed I can feel the bed shaking, and my head, arms, and hands move a little from the sheer force of my pulse.

My question to you is should I ignore my GPs advice and pay to see a cardiologist privately? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I've not noticed any other symptoms. I seem to tire a little faster than I did before, but that could be due to a number of different things, such as my sedentary lifestyle. I also seem to sweat and overheat easily, but that's hardly an undesirable thing in my country's current climate .

I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
(male)

JasonAlteroz HB User
Re: Powerful, fast heart beat but otherwise healthy

I should probably mention that I'm 22 years old, with a slim build and no prior health problems.

Reply Reply

Tags
hard, pulse in neck, pulsing head, tachycardia