It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
(female)

peachychou HB User
can't stop crying

Today I decided to call my doctor's office to check the status of my referral for an echocardiogram. After a long consultation my dr told me he would refer me to the cardiology dept at the hospital and could expect a letter in a few weeks time with an appointment date. Well, like a fool,for the last 4 weeks I've been waiting for the letter to drop through my mailbox. Well, I just found out that the doctor never even bothered his *** to send for a referral in the first place. My palpitations, tachycardia, chest pain and dizziness apoarently don't warrant an echo because i have a 'normal ecg'. I just burst into tears after the secretary told me over the phone i'd need to see the doctor hinself about the whole thing. Because I have some notes on my medical record about 'anxiety' another dr told him not to bother getting me such a simple test.

I've been suffering pvcs, near blackouts during exercise, from sitting to standing my hr jumps from 70 to 120. This made me suspect dysautonomia. But I wanted an echo just to rule out any structural problems so I can stop worrying everytime I get a row of 5 or 6 flutters and feel like im seeing stars.

I'm just so damn frustrated and I'm so disappointed in the NHS for their lack of concern. I feel so cheated. Like how dare they make me wait like that when there was no referral made! Like I'm not being taken seriously because of my age. I'm 19 and in my doctor's words 'in my 25 years of practice I've never seen a teenaged girl with an undiagnosed life threatening heart problem'. I just feel completely ignored. I've seen so many doctors now they think I'm making it all up for attention. Everytime I mention dizziness they print out a patronising 'anxiety and you' leaflet. Last year I spent all summer in bed because the dizziness would hit me just trying to walk to the bathroom. The only thing that has helped is a large dose beta blocker which I had to BEG FOR to stop the constant tachycardia. I'm at a loss. I'm losing faith in doctors completely. I'm currently suffering from ulcers and gastritis h pylori and my stomach is so inflamed I can actually MAKE the pvcs appear just by pressing my stomach/vagus nerve.Everyday I feel so sick and exhausted and depressed I just want to crawl back into bed.

Now I feel like I'm hassling them. I feel like by asking for an echo, I'M bothering them. I'M wasting THEIR money. Like what should I do now? I feel like complaining to the NHS board. I've been waiting patiently for nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is like a bad date movie! The guy has been leading me on all along lol. I never expected this from my healthcare professional. Nothing says I don't care like a fake referral eh?

Sorry guys, I'm not looking for sympathy but I'm so angry at my doctor for ignoring me like that.

Last edited by peachychou; 02-06-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
(male)

justaguy300 HB User
Re: can't stop crying

Sorry to hear that.
You said you have a normal ECG? Then you can't be sure it is PVC.

Also, in my experience, once they label you as a person that has PVC, then forget it. In their mind, PVC is no big deal and a lot of people have it.
I have been to the ER 3 times and 1 of the doctors told me "we always get people who come in ambulance here, with higher heart rate then you. In the 200's. It drives them insane but there is nothing we can do. There is no magic pill".

In my case, I don't even know what I have and it has been 9 months. Never had an echocardiogram. Never had holter monitor. I've even went to a clinic and when I mentioned that the doctor from my first ER visit said it might be PVC, she rolled her eyes and wanted me out of there. She said in an insulting way to see a psychologist.

Long story short, after multiple visits, a doctor prescribed metoprolol, ordered a blood test and guess I have to go back.

For the beta blocker, are you sure you want it? If you have those symptoms on a daily basis (like I do now), sure go ahead but otherwise, why risk taking a drug that effects your heart.
In my case, I was able to manage it without beta blockers when this started. After 7 months, it went downhill for me.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
(female)

peachychou HB User

Thanks for your reply. I've heard pvcs are extremely common and that is reassuring but i just wanted to be sure my heart is structurally normal because I've been having a lot of other cardiac symptoms. I'm feeling slightly better but last night they came back in full force. I wish i could have your attitude towards the whole thing but im a big worrier when it comes to health. Thanks I'll definitely think about what you said.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
(male)

justaguy300 HB User

Yes, it would be nice if the doctors carried out all the tests. I'm not an expert but I think that if you have one heart condition, it is possible to have some other heart condition in parallel.

I don't know what system you have over there. In Canada, there is universal medicare and the system is stressed to the max so they try to kick you out the door as fast as possible. The population has skyrocketed but there aren't new hospitals.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
(female)

peachychou HB User

Yes the situation is exactly the same in the UK. There is quite a lot of abuse of the NHS and so unless the matter is of the utmost urgency you're pretty much left hanging. I got a reply from the cardiologist who said he really didn't see any need for further testing so since he's like the don of cardiology in Scotland maybe i should just listen. He had never heard of dysautonomia though. Interesting. Thanks justaguy for further understanding ^_^

Last edited by peachychou; 02-08-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Peachy,

You mentioned all of the gastro issues bothering you. Are you having those investigated and/or treated? I know I've had gastro issues that caused the fluttery PVC feelings and then adrenaline shoots through our bodies and causes the fainting/breathless feeling. Some of what you're feeling may actually be related to your gastrointestinal issues. They say the stomach is the second brain in our bodies and when it's not working properly, neither does anything else. Anxiety can mess with us terribly and the more we worry the worse it gets. Research all of the possible anxiety symptoms along with the stomach issues. What are you being treated with for the h-pylori? I wish you well.

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
peachychou (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

peachychou HB User

hi rudiraven. i've heard a lot about gastro issues and the heart being correlated, but many of the people concerned say they've been shooed away by their doctors who are uninterested in the connection theory. i initially thought my gastritis was cardiac related but my dr found a high antibody count of h pylori and treated me with prevpac very quickly. however, i am 99% sure the bacteria has come back. i've heard about eating utensils etc spreading the bug, and my family are certainly starting to complain of stomach pain. it scares me because my grandmother complained of ulcers and stomach pains for years, and eventually was diagnosed with stomach cancer, too late to treat, and died at a relatively young age. i'd hate to think i was giving my loved ones this horrible potentionally carcinogenic bug, y'know?

it was around this time i started getting symptoms of dysautonomia - low blood pressure, vasodilation and pooling causing my feet to turn bright purple, tachycardia upon standing - and I have heard theories about h pylori's role in vasodilation - however i have no proof and will probably never get an answer.

i must say that a day after eating spicy and acidic food and not taking ulcer medication, my palpitations persisted for a good week - my stomach was painful, burning, it was impossible to lie down or sleep because the cardiac jolts were becoming so frequent. it was a horrible horrible time. but within a week of taking ppis and a bland diet to heal my irritated gut, the palpitations went away. i've never been so thankful! like i said, pressing or putting any pressure on my stomach makes them come back again! vagal issues? i have no idea. i definitely feel like my vagal nerve may be 'exposed' by erosive ulcers, causing the excessive stimulation. i also feel quite faint when my stomach is irritated - again, vasovagal response? no idea. i do know a girl who had ulcers and now suffers blackouts when standing and has developed pots syndrome. she thought it was from the medication but we really don't know. no dr is really interested. thanks for highlighting that point, i definitely agree there is some kind of connection, specifically, i cannot say

Last edited by peachychou; 02-08-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
(female)

Vickster24 HB User

The first time i went to A&E (after being rushed there by my GP) because my heart rate was in the 180's a nurse came over to me (whilst sat on a chair in the corridor breathing terribly) and told me "all tests were fine but i could have a clot making its way to my heart but the tests would be another hour or two so why dont i go over the road and get a coffee" like seriously my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest and she tells me to drink coffee lol. I have most of your symptoms and ive had 4 ECG's all just showed a fast heart rate (always between 150-160) so ive now had a holter monitor for 24 hours, and echocardiogram last week (never want another one!!) and am now wearing an event monitor since monday, my echo showed that my heart pumps fine and has good circulation but that 2 of the ventricles were contracting, but they have sped up trying to get to the bottom of this because i pass out alot, pretty much on a daily basis, but he said that could just be epilepsy, yes soo scared of having a bad heart i now get informed i could be epileptic! I also have acid reflux, one test showed h pylori (no idea what that is) fatty liver which is enlarged, damaged shoulder, a head that is either dizzy or sore never normal and 1 ligament left in my right knee, i feel like a walking health issue and that i should have an ambulance parked in my drive way at all times.

You know what your body is feeling and these flipping drs dont so dont just drop it because one cant be a###d to do some investigations, and change your GP

Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
(female)

Vickster24 HB User

The first time i went to A&E (after being rushed there by my GP) because my heart rate was in the 180's a nurse came over to me (whilst sat on a chair in the corridor breathing terribly) and told me "all tests were fine but i could have a clot making its way to my heart but the tests would be another hour or two so why dont i go over the road and get a coffee" like seriously my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest and she tells me to drink coffee lol. I have most of your symptoms and ive had 4 ECG's all just showed a fast heart rate (always between 150-160) so ive now had a holter monitor for 24 hours, and echocardiogram last week (never want another one!!) and am now wearing an event monitor since monday, my echo showed that my heart pumps fine and has good circulation but that 2 of the ventricles were contracting, but they have sped up trying to get to the bottom of this because i pass out alot, pretty much on a daily basis, but he said that could just be epilepsy, yes soo scared of having a bad heart i now get informed i could be epileptic! I also have acid reflux, one test showed h pylori (no idea what that is) fatty liver which is enlarged, damaged shoulder, a head that is either dizzy or sore never normal and 1 ligament left in my right knee, i feel like a walking health issue and that i should have an ambulance parked in my drive way at all times.

You know what your body is feeling and these flipping drs dont so dont just drop it because one cant be a###d to do some investigations, and change your GP

The following user gives a hug of support to Vickster24:
peachychou (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
(female)

peachychou HB User

I just wanted to say something.

Last edited by peachychou; 02-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
(female)

peachychou HB User

hey vickster, thanks for your reply. you know i think you should definitely get checked out for POTS/Dysautonomia. I haven't met a single uk dr who has heard of it but im pretty sure and actually hoping that's what I've got. When palpitations + fainting arise the basic instinct is for a serious heart condition. However if you have been passing out daily and had an ecg during your fainting spell then as far as I know it is more likely you are suffering from vasovagal syncope which is pretty harmless aside from injury i.e. hitting your head on the way down it just means for some reason - low bp, lowered heartrate, pooling in limbs, too fast heartrate, stomach or nervous stimulation, or extreme emotion/fatigue/heat, the brain does not receive enough oxygenated blood and our response is to lie down flat i.e. faint to restore blood flow. How's your blood pressure, do your symptoms improve upon lying flat? If your heartrate rises over 30 beats just from standing, and you have normal workups, you might want to look up pots. I was bedridden for most of last summer. Couldn't stand up without nearly passing out. Constantly felt like I had flu. Thanks to some internet research and the greatness of God I was able to find out what I needed were BETA BLOCKERS! Now I am able to stay upright almost all day. They have been my miracle pill. My hr needed slowing down and vessels needed dilating. And that's what BBs do. The first few days they made me even more dizzy due to lowered bp. So I halfed the pill and felt better. Now I take about 160mg a day and I'm so happy to say no more dizzies My drs say the only reason BBs help is because they lower anxiety - which is pish posh. My heartrate can rise to 170 just by walking. My drs honestly don't care. I had to seek my own cure and I still don't truly know what's wrong with me .

I'm saying this because my heart really goes out to you. I couldn't stand feeling so dizzy for 5 months - and I wouldn't want ANYONE like you having to live with this for the rest of your life. Passing out everyday is NOT QUALITY OF LIFE. It's not normal and I urge you to at least try a small dose of a beta blocker. I too had the episodes of racing heart randomly - once I was getting in the shower and I could feel my heart going about 160 out of nowhere. Scary. You might be having SVT episodes which again beta blockers can help.

I really hope you get your answer. Lots of love and stay in touch. Please don't lose hope. )

Last edited by peachychou; 02-19-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
h pylori gastritis antibiotics finished pain, pvc's