It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
(male)

Heartwego HB User
PFO Closure Update 2013

Hello I am new to this board and I am grateful that I found it. I was told that I have 2 holes in my heart and my cardiologist recommended that I close one of them. My oxygen drops when I exercise to around 87-88. When I am just sitting its between 92 -96. If you have had a PFO closure can you tell us how you felt before the procedure and how you feel now. I know some people have had this procedure done some years ago, it would be great to hear how you are doing. Would you recommend it or try something else?

Thank you in advance for all your sharing and support.
HeartWeGo

Last edited by Heartwego; 02-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
(male)

Heartwego HB User
Re: PFO Closure Update 2013

I keep reading pros and cons about this procedure. The information on this procedure is 50/50. I am wondering if there are other options.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
(female)

shortlegs HB User

Hi I just wondered if you have made a decision on your PFO closure yet ? Also are both of your holes in the same heart chamber ?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
(female)

shortlegs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartwego View Post
I keep reading pros and cons about this procedure. The information on this procedure is 50/50. I am wondering if there are other options.
Hi, I have recently had closure & feel fine but it is very early days so cannot give you a long time prognosis.

The alternatives I was offered were medication ie. Warfarin for life.

It is a very personal decision whether to have closure or not.

Have you come to any decision ?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
(male)

ELBSeattle HB User

Hello - I just had a minor stroke and underwent a battery of tests to determine why someone my age with such good health would have a stroke. Tests revealed a significant PFO with an 'aneurysmal wall' (I think I'm spelling that right).

I was prescribed warfarin and given a regimen of warfarin and aspirin. From what I read of warfarin it sounds like a nightmare. The cardiologist had talked about the PFO closure procedure, which he was all for. But my neurologist seemed against it.

I'm only one day out of my 3-day hospital stay and am overwhelmed with the gravity of these options. Any information from people who have had the PFO closure and/or those on warfarin would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks much

Old 12-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
(female)

rebecca43 HB Userrebecca43 HB User

I take coumaden and have been on a blood thinner since my mitral valve repair two years ago At first I was given warfarin but it was not effective;thus the change to the brand coumaden. It took several months for them to get to the correct dosage. Now my INR has been stable and I consider the coumaden to be anti stroke insurance
There are no problems with this med. I eat a good sized green salad to keep the vitamin K level up.
Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Reply Reply