It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
(male)

Ovidium19 HB User
Unusual heart behaviour when trying to fall asleep

Hello everyone. I am desperate and in search for some answers because I can no longer fall asleep, this is actually my 70th hour since I woke up last time.

Whenever I try to fall asleep, i get a very weird and scary feeling . To me, it feels like it starts from the heart, which starts beating irregurarly, and shortly after I feel the need to pound my chest with my fist and take very short and very quick breaths. This happens 5-15 mins after closing my eyes. Recently, it started happening when I am just resting in bed with my eyes open. It is very scary and I am afraid of going to sleep at the moment.

Now I realize the first thing you would think of is anxiety, but actually I am in a period where my life starts to make sense. I am 24 yrs old, employed, living in a nice room in London. I am from Romania, had to leave from there but I am still keeping contact with all my closest friends. My life now has a shape and a meaning and I can't be happier because I used to be very lazy up until 24 yrs old. There is absolutely no reason for me to feel anxious, other than the fact that I still don't know too many people here.

I realize that a visit to the doctor will result in me being diagnosed with anxiety and getting a bunch of pills prescribed, because everyone will be very scheptical of a 24 yrs old boy having anything else in this situation. My heart and blood were checked 2 years ago and they were fine. I have already taken anxiety pills (not just now) and I can say I have never felt like they had any effect on me.

My work requires a lot of concentration and I am desperate to get some sleep. I am looking for people who have gone through similar situations and I am interested in how they handled it.

Thank you for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Unusual heart behaviour when trying to fall asleep

There are a few possibilities here, so you are right to resist the anxiety thing at first. Two things spring immediately to mind; one is sporadically overactive thyroid which should anyway be checked out by blood testing. The second is Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia which means sporadic episodes of fast and/or irregular heartbeat. This can be checked out by you wearing a monitor for 24 hours so the doctor can see what and how often etc. The second can be caused by the first. It may be happening more than you realise, but you only become aware of it when you are lying down and relaxed. This is common. These things are not life-threatening, but do go and have the testing done. Sera

Reply Reply