It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
(male)

jb1edlover HB User
Costochondritis (so I was told)

First of all I am an obese male age 40. Though Obese I'm pretty active, I'm a softball coach and health and PE teacher. I have high but on the low side of high cholesterol levels. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes or anything like that, so basically besides being overwieght I'm healthy. I have also had 9 knee surgeries and one ankle reconstruction.
So to the question about a month ago (after doing some heavy lifting) I had a sharp pain the very center of my chest and it lasted about 4-5 seconds... it was wierd feeling, but about 5 seconds after the pain went away I felt like I was going to pass out, (things got dark and I felt my face get hot). Anyway it went away and I didn't get the sharp pain again, however I did feel some off an on pressure. When I was moving I felt ok, when I wasn't I felt odd. I can't say it hurt but it was bothersome. Over the next couple of days I took things easy but couldn't quite feel right, but no pain. When I pressed on the chest it felt like a bruise. 3 days after the initial pain I went to the ER (military base) they quickly hooked up an EKG machine and said things were clear... They did a chest xray and said things looked fine. They did some manipulation and decided on Costochondritis. I was given a shot in the butt... and it seemed to relive the discomfort. I was given Naproxen and told to take 2 a day. Things got better and I forgot about it. WELL.... yesterday while sitting down teaching class I felt that similar sharp pain in the center of my chest... it lasted about 4-5 seconds again and went away and just like last time a few seconds later I got the passout feeling again, hot face, things got dark and I felt I was going to pass out. It quickly passed (15-20) seconds. Now since then I get the wierd tightness. I just dont feel right.
Now in reading about all the other signs (heart attack, costochondritis, congestive heart failure) etc... seems I could have all of them. Any suggestions. I did stop taking the pain pills regularly and maybe thats the case. I just can't seem to find anything where passing out is involved with costochondritis... When I'm up and doing stuff things seem to be better, but when I sit around I start to feel more stuff.... my wife says it's anxiety? What do you folks think?
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Costochondritis (so I was told)

Sharp chest pains are very rarely cardiac related.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
(male)

jb1edlover HB User

That's one of things I keep reading too! That brings up my next question! What is sharp? I didn't feel good and it was very localized. I'd say deep in the chest and localized in an area about the size of a quarter. The exact same spot 2 different times about a month apart. Now because of that "scare" I'm thinking more about "what if.." and I keep feeling little discomforts in and around that area butnothing I'd call sharp or pain really. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Does the pain lessen or go away if you move into a different position?
Does it get worse if you press on the place you have the pain?

Cardiac pain will remain the same, it will not lessen, get worse or go away by changing position or pressing on the area of pain.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
(male)

jb1edlover HB User

The sharp or "real" pain only lasts a few seconds then goes away, and it's only happened 2 times about a month apart. Both times I wasn't doing anything. Outside of that it's only annoying but not painful. When I'm busy doing stuff (distracted) I don't notice it, but when I'm sitting down doing nothing I notice it just doesn't feel right. Now that I have a good 2 days of Naproxin I really don't feel anything. But lifting, moving or changing positions makes no difference.
Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Ii don't think it's cardiac pain but that's only my opinion - I have no medical training, I'm just going by the documentation given to me after heart surgery.

Cardiac pain, even Angina lasts more than a few seconds.

Reply Reply