It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

Roar114 HB User
Is Ejection Fraction of 50-55% good?

I had an echo/ekg/holter/blood work a week or two ago and all the results came back fine, except I noticed the ejection fraction seems low for my age, I am 22. Is 50 - 55% something to worry about? Any replies would be appreciated.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Is Ejection Fraction of 50-55% good?

That result is within the normal range. If it was a concern, the doctor would have mentioned it surely. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
(female)

karina29 HB User

From what I know, 50 - 55 is in the low-normal range. Most doctors would say anything under 55 is mildly abnormal. I think it also depends on the symptoms you are having. I had an echo with a 50% EF, and then a subseqent cardiac MRI that showed EF of 53%. Along with my symptoms, this was definitely discussed with me by my doctor, and some heart meds were started and my EF improved.

"An LV ejection fraction of 50 percent or lower is considered reduced. Experts vary in their opinion about an ejection fraction between 50 and 55 percent, and some would consider this a "borderline" range. " [From Mayo website.]

There are many reasons your ejection fraction could be reduced, including heart disease, high blood pressure, damage from a heart attack. I would discuss the possible reasons with my doctor.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
(female)

Donatelife HB User

Yes, that is completely fine. When it gets down to 20% and below thats when theres a serious problem. My fiance has CHF and currently has an LVAD and is awaiting a heart transplant. His Ejection Fraction was 5% before they placed the LVAD.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar114 View Post
I am 22. I had an echo ... Is 50 - 55% something to worry about?
Echocardiograms take a high level of skill and training. Because you do not seem to have symptoms of heart disease, that would cause a low EF, I wonder about the expertise and training of the echo technician and how accurately he/she estimated the ejection fraction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar114
I recently went to the doctor because my heart has been beating too fast with palpitations and dizziness..
The combination of the estimated 50-55% EF and your symptoms is worrisome. The important thing is to take corrective measures to alleviate your symptoms, taking undo stress off your heart.

Hopefully, you will find out what is over-stimulating your heart, like caffeine, or cigarettes, etc., and not have to take energy-sapping medications.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-18-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
(female)

johnson baby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Echocardiograms take a high level of skill and training. Because you do not seem to have symptoms of heart disease, that would cause a low EF, I wonder about the expertise and training of the echo technician and how accurately he/she estimated the ejection fraction?

The combination of the estimated 50-55% EF and your symptoms is worrisome. The important thing is to take corrective measures to alleviate your symptoms, taking undo stress off your heart.

Hopefully, you will find out what is over-stimulating your heart, like caffeine, or cigarettes, etc., and not have to take energy-sapping medications.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
(female)

johnson baby HB User

my husband ejection fraction is 19%. his blood pressure is normal but his glucose levels are high about 200 in fasting. is pace maker suggestable or any other medications and ways to improve his EF. plz help......
Thanks

Reply Reply