It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
Unhappy PTSD & Trouble sleeping after unnecessary ICD shocks

Hello I was hoping somone could help. About 1.5 years ago my spouses ICD shocked him 8x uncenessary re: leads. 4 shocks at home at 4 in ER until they could find magnet to stop the shocks.
He had the to have both the leads and device replaced as it was in for almost 10 years.
Since then he's had problems where he 1)doesn't trust the device 2) hates that he even needs it as one EPS doctor questioned why they even put one in when he was so young (42 now but 31 when 1st put in) and 3) is still having trouble sleeping as he has phantom shocks as he's going to sleep & during sleep. Now he takes a sleeping pill everynight but doesn't always work.

He also has depression so all of this makes it really hard.

Anyone else have PTSD from ICD shocks and have you found anything that helps you sleep?

Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to nora01:
sjb (04-18-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to nora01 For This Useful Post:
sjb (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: PTSD & Trouble sleeping after unnecessary ICD shocks

It is no wonder this would cause PTSD! Some people respond well after trauma to a therapy technique called EMDR. It is a bit hard to describe, but seems to help people desensitize to the trauma they experienced. Do you know why the ICD was put in? Is it possible it is no longer needed for his condition and could be removed? I think he should discuss that with his cardiologist. Usually they are placed in people having life threatening arrythmias, often caused by genetic conditions affecting the conduction system of the heart. If removing it would place him at risk for sudden death, I would think that would cause him even more anxiety. I believe a consult with a therapist adept at EMDR would be a good idea. Biofeedback may help too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

They put ICD in as diagnosed with VT but even if didn't need anymore, I don't think any surgeon would remove due to liability. We even asked before the put the new one in when the EPS doctor mentioned it maybe we should wait & do more test but he said once it been in a doctor will most likely not remove permanently.

He is in therapy now and I'll have him ask about EMDR at his next appointment.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

Nora,

It sounds like a malfunctioning unit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Voxx976 For This Useful Post:
sjb (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora01 View Post
He had the to have both the leads and device replaced as it was in for almost 10 years. ... one EPS doctor questioned why they even put one in when he was so young (42 now but 31 when 1st put in)
How many times did your spouse get shocked during the first 10 years? If he never had been shocked, in 10 years, then I would also question why the ICD was implanted.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

marci285 HB User

I'm just writing to say I feel really bad for you husband. I have suffered from irregular heartbeats all my life. So far my doctor doesn't believe they are life-threatening, but more an annoyance. I know the anxiety of this condition but this is different. I can understand why your husband is suffering PSTD. Awful situation. I really do hope you find the light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
(female)

It was already replaced. But was shocked 1 time on prior unit & 1 time on new one. Some days are better than others but its hard for me as I can't help him.

Reply Reply