It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
(female)

JaneyB72 HB User
Carotid artery blockage

Hi,

Not sure whether this is the right place to post, although i'm sure i'll be re-directed if not

5 years ago my mum, who was 65 at the time, went for a life line screening with a company where they indicated she had mile cartoid artery blockage.

They have written to her several times this year inviting her back to another screening, at a cost, and are aggressively using her previous results as a 'frightener'.

I think this is a terrible and disgusting marketing ploy to get people back, and particularly targeted at older people, my mum is now 70, and thankfully switched on!

However, before totally dismissing this, I guess what i'm wanting to know is whether this 'mild' blockage is generally found with people of her age?

She is otherwise healthy, low cholesterol, no heart problems and nothing in the family history to indicate she should be worried.

Not sure what to do?

Old 07-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
(female)

JaneyB72 HB User
Re: Carotid artery blockage

Just realised, d'oh, that carotid artery's are in the neck, so nothing to do with the heart. Not sure I can move this post to an appropriate forum?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Hi, I have "mild" blockages in both of my Cartoid Arteries which were discovered during pre heart bypass tests in 2009.

Just have them checked every couple of years to see how they are progressing.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

JaneyB72 HB User

Sorry for the delay, but thanks for replying.

I think, from what i've read online, that providing there are no other symptoms or problems with health, at that age you would expect some mild blockages.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Yeah that's pretty much right, I was 52 at the time.
I have a diagram of mine from my medical records and they are both around 40% blocked - I haven't had any dramas with them.

Reply Reply