It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 06:46 AM   #1

cathy1952 HB User
Question hep c and fibromyalgia

hi everyone!
i was diagnosed with hep c in 96. this year i was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. is there a connection between the two? I'm genotype 1a, high viral load, but have a history of depresson so my dr. is refusing to try tx with me. i'm not really recieving any treatment and i feel like i'm just sitting around waiting for the axe to fall. my dr. is one of the best in chicago area for hep c. i just feel like i should be doing something. any suggestions ? PLEASE HELP!
thaks,
cathy1952

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2003, 07:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy1952
hi everyone!
i was diagnosed with hep c in 96. this year i was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. is there a connection between the two? I'm genotype 1a, high viral load, but have a history of depresson so my dr. is refusing to try tx with me. i'm not really recieving any treatment and i feel like i'm just sitting around waiting for the axe to fall. my dr. is one of the best in chicago area for hep c. i just feel like i should be doing something. any suggestions ? PLEASE HELP!
thaks,
cathy1952
Hi Cathy,

Fibro is an automimmune disorder, yes?

I am not well educated in fibro, but I know that interferon will make an autoimmune disorder much worse.

You should be doing a lot actually. Pat close attention to your diet (heart healthy is liver healthy, too!) make sure your weight is maintained at a healthy level, and exercise to maintain strength (or increase it) and to keep your joints and muscles in optimum (for you) shape. Do not allow yourself to become inactive!

Do not smoke (or allow yourself to be exposed to second hand smoke), drink alcohol at all, and watch dietary fats.

My interpretation of the research idicates that these are the basics to staying well with hepatitis C. Interferon is not a magic bullet anyway and, again my opinion, people often expect too much from it.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the board.

thanbey

[url]www.hcop.org[/url]

Last edited by thanbey; 11-03-2003 at 07:51 AM. Reason: signature not showing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
Hi Thanbey,

I was talking with my doctor last week about my rheumatoid factor level being 331. I have never had an elevated rheumatoid factor before taking interferon. The first time it was high was after a car accident I was in in Feb. this year. I asked the doctor if the elevated RF could have been a result of the car accident or the interferon therapy or a combination of the two. The doctor said he had no answer because he had never heard of either affecting anyone's rf level. Is there anything that you know of I can do to make this doctor understand or gain knowledge of the link?

Thanks a bunch!

Wes

[QUOTE=thanbey]Hi Cathy,

Fibro is an automimmune disorder, yes?

I am not well educated in fibro, but I know that interferon will make an autoimmune disorder much worse.

Old 11-09-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
[QUOTE=Wes1212]Hi Thanbey,

I was talking with my doctor last week about my rheumatoid factor level being 331. I have never had an elevated rheumatoid factor before taking interferon. The first time it was high was after a car accident I was in in Feb. this year. I asked the doctor if the elevated RF could have been a result of the car accident or the interferon therapy or a combination of the two. The doctor said he had no answer because he had never heard of either affecting anyone's rf level. Is there anything that you know of I can do to make this doctor understand or gain knowledge of the link?

Thanks a bunch!

Wes

Well, Wes, you are doing some very good research (I just saw your article)
the link between RA and HCV is known. As to whether interferon can precipitate RA, your article is pretty persuasive. David Van thiel was one of the first hepatologists I hear speak on hepC in about 1993 or so. He is listed as an author on the study you posted elsewhere.

As to your doctor, what can I say? The informaiton is out there, I think, if a doc wants to find it. Inspiring docs to do research and gain more knowledge (other than the drug company luncheons) is a real puzzle. Wish I had the answer to that one.

thanbey

Closed Thread