It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

hcvsd HB User
Question Creatine bad for your liver and hep c?

I was wondering if creatine is bad for your liver if you have hep c, the reason i ask is i read that creatine is a natural substance made from our liver hat helps skelton and muscle, and if you have hep c this substance may be reduced?

Any one know if it's bad for someone with hep c?

Last edited by hcvsd; 11-29-2003 at 01:04 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 03:08 PM   #2

mik577 HB User
Re: Creatine bad for your liver and hep c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvsd
I was wondering if creatine is bad for your liver if you have hep c, the reason i ask is i read that creatine is a natural substance made from our liver hat helps skelton and muscle, and if you have hep c this substance may be reduced?

I don't know about any one else, but in my case, my doctor has prescribed a low-sodium & low-protein diet. I am supposed to try to limit my sodium to 2000 mg daily, & 80 grams of protein. Creatanine is an amino acid that is part of protein's make-up, I think. Not everyone with hep-c has a diet like mine. I think my limit of 80 grams of protein daily is to help to not "feed" the virus. I think the virus mutates & reproduces faster with a hi-protein diet. Before I was dx, I think I took in about 120 grams of protein daily, as an average. I was used to eating a lot of hamburgers, cheese, milkshakes, etc. So ask your doctor & eat like he says, & avoid all alcohol & illicit drugs. For me, in my case, I would not add any extra amino acids unless my doc said to. Good luck, & hopefully someone else will reply to you also. mik577

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 01:57 PM   #3

mik577 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcvsd

I'm sorry, I didn't know that creatine & creatinine were 2 different things. At any rate, if creatine is considered to be an anabolic steroid, then we know that it probably isn't good for your liver. mik577

Old 12-01-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik577
I don't know about any one else, but in my case, my doctor has prescribed a low-sodium & low-protein diet. I am supposed to try to limit my sodium to 2000 mg daily, & 80 grams of protein. Creatanine is an amino acid that is part of protein's make-up, I think. Not everyone with hep-c has a diet like mine. I think my limit of 80 grams of protein daily is to help to not "feed" the virus. I think the virus mutates & reproduces faster with a hi-protein diet. Before I was dx, I think I took in about 120 grams of protein daily, as an average. I was used to eating a lot of hamburgers, cheese, milkshakes, etc. So ask your doctor & eat like he says, & avoid all alcohol & illicit drugs. For me, in my case, I would not add any extra amino acids unless my doc said to. Good luck, & hopefully someone else will reply to you also. mik577

Hi Mik,

The theory behind a low protein diet with respect to liver function is that it was thought to be a contributor to complications of cirrhosis. Ammonia levels can be affected by protein.

New research is finding that protein is actually a GOOD thing and low protein diets are not a good thing. Two strategies have emerged from research. One is a bedtime snack to maintain healthier blood levels during the night time fasting. Fasting is not good for those with liver diease as the body uses up muscle mass in the absence of adequate intake. This can cause a cascade of undesireable consequences. So, do not fast longer than 6 hours, as a rule of thumb. At night, metabolism slows, so I am guessing that this is why a small snack would maintain blood levels over a longer period, assuming an eight hour sleep cycle.

Eat small meals throughout the day, culminating in a small bedtime snack at 10 pm. The study used yogurt (I do recommend this; organic plain yoghurt maybe sweetened or flavored with real fruit syrup) but the researcher has told me that anything is just as good. Malnutrition is a common problem among those with advanced liver disease.

Avoiding fat in the diet is a recommendation for those who are at risk for, or whop have been diagnosed with, fatty liver disease. In combination with HCV, fatty liver can increase progression to cirrhoisis and can complicate any treatments. Usually, but not always, fatty liver and overweight go hand in hand.

Secondly, the amount of protein now recommended by John's Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic is 2 grams of protein per lb of ideal body weight (for those with ascites or fluid retension use estimated weight less the estimated amount of fluid weight).

I have included the studies on the website and I have attended a seminar on this topic at the American Association for the Study of Liver disease and spoken to the researchers to clarify this information.

Many providers are still recommending restricted protein intake. You may wish to clarify with your provider whether this is because they are not aware of these studies or there is some other reason that applies to you that this is recommended.

I am not knowledgeable specifically about creatine supplementation and therefore, cannot comment on it.

Creatinine, on the other hand, is a kidney function test and I am very well schooled in that. But, it is somewhat irrelevant to this topic unless I have misunderstood the question.

One more thing: recent research has found that cocoa,( not chocolate flavored syrup etc, but the real deal in powder form) is a better anti-oxidant than green tea. So, brownies, hot cocoa, and all that wonderful stuff made from real cocoa, is actually good for you! Enjoy

If you use an artificial sweetner, I recommend Splenda. for those with fluid retention, the sorbitols cause diarhea is some people. This may be a factor if you are taking lactulose. Talk to your provider.

I hope this helps,

thanbey

Last edited by thanbey; 12-01-2003 at 01:05 PM.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

woo, good news on cocoa. I think all of us must go out and get some immediately. sugar-free for me.

creatine is not an amino acid, although it is manufactured from them in the body. It is not an anabolic steroid. it is a compound that helps energy production and MAY help build muscle--the studies go both ways. I don't know if its good or bad for the liver, but here's a study that suggests its okay if your liver is normal to begin with:[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12500988&dopt=Abstract[/url]

hope that this helps

sean

Old 12-01-2003, 05:29 PM   #6

mik577 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
woo, good news on cocoa. I think all of us must go out and get some immediately. sugar-free for me.

creatine is not an amino acid, although it is manufactured from them in the body. It is not an anabolic steroid. it is a compound that helps energy production and MAY help build muscle--the studies go both ways. I don't know if its good or bad for the liver, but here's a study that suggests its okay if your liver is normal to begin with:[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12500988&dopt=Abstract[/url]

hope that this helps

sean
When I went to MSN search, I typed in {liver , creatine}. The # 5 site had 13 pages, if you print them out. On page 3 of the 13, this guy says, "Long term consequences of daily creatine ingestion, especially in high dosages, are currently not known. There is a possibility that excess creatine can put stress on the kidneys & liver. Creatine converts into creatinine which, in high dosages, could act as a toxin." He also says, "I discourage the regular, high dose use of creatine. Individuals with kidney disease should not use creatine." FYI, this site sells herbal products. mik577

Closed Thread