It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2004, 12:28 AM   #1

turtles0x0 HB User
How long does it take to have symptoms?

Hello, I have been looking up information on the web about hep c. I know that different people will show symptoms at different times, but is it possible to start showing them at only 3 years down the road? I have heard of symptoms starting within a couple of months or not showing at all until 10 years later. So does this mean that symptoms can start at anytime in between? It seems so obviouios that the answer is yes but I guess i just want to know from people who have had experiece with hep c if what I have heard is true.

Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to turtles0x0:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to turtles0x0 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 01-01-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
Re: How long does it take to have symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles0x0
Hello, I have been looking up information on the web about hep c. I know that different people will show symptoms at different times, but is it possible to start showing them at only 3 years down the road? I have heard of symptoms starting within a couple of months or not showing at all until 10 years later. So does this mean that symptoms can start at anytime in between? It seems so obviouios that the answer is yes but I guess i just want to know from people who have had experiece with hep c if what I have heard is true.

Thank you
The validity of what you hear depends a lot on where you hear it from.

Symptoms of hepatitis C are nearly always absent. Even people with advanced disease often have no symptoms that are easily identifiable and that can be separated from other things, like aging.

But that doesn't mean that some people do not experience problems early in the disease. (Early in my mind is the first 10-15 years after exposure) We still have a lot to learn about hepatitis C. Fatty liver disease may be more responsible than we thought as it is more common nd , in combination with HCV, can make symptoms worse. Time will tell on this.

The majoriity of patients have no symptoms, even in the acute phase where you would expect to see them.

One thing has emerged and that is that people who have taken really good care of themselves seem to have very few symptoms vs those who have not maintained an active lifestyle with a good diet and regular medical and dental care, low alcohol intake prior to diagnosis, and who do not smoke.

Quality of life studies continually say that quality of life is lower in those with hepatitis C. I have not seen any quality of life studies (non-pharmaceutical) that show improvement of quality of life after treatment. Anyone?

I hope this helps,

thanbey

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2014 at 12:43 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to thanbey For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 12:53 AM   #3
(male)

hordubal HB Userhordubal HB Userhordubal HB User

Hi,
I have got HCV about 30 years ago - probably, because it's pretty tricky to trace it back. I have got no problems, the only clue was elevated ALT. Well, sometimes I was "tired", but it is very vague symptom. My HCV diagnosis was revealed only 2 years ago.

So - for many years I was living having on mind that my liver is "slightly out of order", but without the diagnosis. I was living healthy (no alcohol, drugs, smoking, coffe) and that helped me to live without major problems.

I think, that very often it is really hard to find the exact time (or source) of exposure. In my case, I know that my ALT values were elevated since I was about 13 - that is, I can exclude sex and drugs as possible source of the HCV. I know, that I have received blood transfusion when I was 8 - and that is the most probable cause. But you know - nothing is sure.

Petr

The following user gives a hug of support to hordubal:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to hordubal For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 01-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #4

hepperterry HB Userhepperterry HB Userhepperterry HB Userhepperterry HB User

I just wanted to say that before I tried treatment in 99 all I had was bad fatigue and some nausea everyonce in awhile. Before finding I had Hep C my doctor and I thought it was all just due to chronic fatigue or working midnights and swing shifts. Since treatment I now have bad bad right side pain over the liver, some nausea still, really bad fatigue, bad depression, some cognitive problems and now getting muscle and joint soreness. So for a long time before diagnosis I just had primarily the fatigue that bothered me the most. Never felt rested even though I would sleep a lot. Take care!

Terry

The following user gives a hug of support to hepperterry:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to hepperterry For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread