It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #1

neilr HB User
Question My girlfriend has been diagnosed with Hepatitis C

Hello, I hope someone here can help my undertstanding of Hepatitis C. My girlfriend has recently been diagnosed with Hepatitis C. There is no risk to me as we were not in a sexual relationship. She is stil in shock and is very unwilling to talk about her problems. I am trying to find out more about this illness and as I expect most people do, I want to find that its been missdiagnosed.

My girlfriend has had several problems that have culminated in getting diagnosed with Hepatis. She has like many young people (mid twenties) drunk more that the reccomended daily alcohol limits. In fact what has started off as a drinking too much has turned into a major drinking problem. She also suffers from Bulimia Nervosa which I would imagine would cause problems. Recently she has been very unwell and was obviously suffering from Hepatitis C. Extreme tiredness, depression, bruises (I guess a sign of internal bleeding) all over her body for no real reason. She was tested several months ago and the doctor suspected Haemachromatosis.

I am doing research but without having spoken to the doctor I really don't know the facts.

I have a few questions. Firstly what is the difference between chronic and non-chronic hepatitis.

Secondly if this was discovered earlier, if she gives up drinking and has a regular diet is there a chance she could make a full recovery?

Finally how did she contract this illness. I am well aware that because of her problems her liver would be damaged but Hepatitis is a 'virus' She does not do drugs, has not been exposed to blood, no tatoos, no sex with infected people ...so where has this disease come from??

I appreciate your time for reading this. I look forward to a better understanding.

Last edited by neilr; 01-22-2004 at 03:27 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: neilr
fine5466 (06-05-2011), luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to neilr For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
Re: My girlfriend has been diagnosed with Hepatitis C

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr
Hello, I hope someone here can help my undertstanding of Hepatitis C. My girlfriend has recently been diagnosed with Hepatitis C. There is no risk to me as we were not in a sexual relationship. She is stil in shock and is very unwilling to talk about her problems. I am trying to find out more about this illness and as I expect most people do, I want to find that its been missdiagnosed.

My girlfriend has had several problems that have culminated in getting diagnosed with Hepatis. She has like many young people (mid twenties) drunk more that the reccomended daily alcohol limits. In fact what has started off as a drinking too much has turned into a major drinking problem. She also suffers from Bulimia Nervosa which I would imagine would cause problems. Recently she has been very unwell and was obviously suffering from Hepatitis C. Extreme tiredness, depression, bruises (I guess a sign of internal bleeding) all over her body for no real reason. She was tested several months ago and the doctor suspected Haemachromatosis.

I am doing research but without having spoken to the doctor I really don't know the facts.

I have a few questions. Firstly what is the difference between chronic and non-chronic hepatitis.

Secondly if this was discovered earlier, if she gives up drinking and mas a regular diet is there a chance she could make a full recovery?

Finally how did she contract this illness. I am well aware that because of her problems her liver would be damaged but Hepatitis is a 'virus' She does not do drugs, has not been exposed to blood, no tatoos, no sex with infected people ...so where has this disease come from??

I appreciate your time for reading this. I look forward to a better understanding.
There is basic information on hepatitis C on the website below my name. In addition to that, there are articles on different topics there. We have had numerous discussions here and this site has both a search feature and archives that you can read through. If there is a particular poster you want to read more from, you can search by name.

Now, just a few points for you to get started.....

-Hepatitis C can be contracted in a number of ways but all of them have to do with exposure to blood and body fluids (blood is not always visible) Sharing personal items, needles, toothbrushes etc is a very bad idea.

-You are not at risk sexually as this is virtually never passed from woman to man sexually unless you are into sexual practices where blood is drawn.

-There are NO recommended daily limits for alcohol use. Alcohol used daily is likely to result in alcoholism and that can damage anyone's liver, hepatitis c positive, or not. For someone with hepatitis C it can be very liver damaging and lead to serious problems, including alcohol poisoning.

- Bulimia Nervosa can be much more deadly that a diagnosis of hepatitis C, so I am comforted that she is being cared for by a doctor. Since you do not know her history or what is currently going on with her, she needs to be under a doctor's care right now, seriously.

How she contracted hepatitis C is going to be a mystery, I suspect. Unless she can identify a behavior that put her at risk, she had a childhood incident where she received blood, or her mother has hepatitis C, she may never know. By the way, her mother should be tested.

Chronic hepatitis C is where you have active virus in your blood detected by a PCR-RNA test. A person otherwise will always test positive for antibodies only.

Depending on the damage your friend has done to her body through the drinking and bulimia, if she corrects the bad choices and recovers from both the bulimia and the alcoholism, she stands an excellent chance of recovering fully.

If she doesn't.....

I hope this helps,

thanbey

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2014 at 12:00 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thanbey For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012), mumscancer (08-11-2011)
Old 01-23-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
(male)

hordubal HB Userhordubal HB Userhordubal HB User

Hi,
I agree with Thanbey. I think your girfriend should first cope the other problems (bulimia, alcohol) and then HCV, because tretment of HCV is exhausting. But these steps shoul your friend discuss with her doc.
HCV is serious illness, but usually people live with this for many years, and die for ANOTHER reasons. I, personally, live with HCV for over 30 years and I am in a very good shape.

Petr

The following user gives a hug of support to hordubal:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to hordubal For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 AM   #4

neilr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanbey
- Bulimia Nervosa can be much more deadly that a diagnosis of hepatitis C, so I am comforted that she is being cared for by a doctor. Since you do not know her history or what is currently going on with her, she needs to be under a doctor's care right now, seriously.

How she contracted hepatitis C is going to be a mystery, I suspect. Unless she can identify a behavior that put her at risk, she had a childhood incident where she received blood, or her mother has hepatitis C, she may never know. By the way, her mother should be tested.

Depending on the damage your friend has done to her body through the drinking and bulimia, if she corrects the bad choices and recovers from both the bulimia and the alcoholism, she stands an excellent chance of recovering fully.
Thank you for the response. So I am right in thinking you cannot just 'develop' Hepatitis C. I has to be contracted from something/someone?

Because of her other (very serious) problems this is what is giving me, probably false hope, that she will be able to recover from this condition.

She is trying to get help for the eating disorder. I am not medically trained but I can see that the problem is 'obsesive compulsive disorder'. This manifests itself in binge drinking and binge eating. Whilst she has allways had these problems underlying it is only recently (last 6 months) that they have been severe. This is what makes me wonder if misdiagnosis is possible.

She is in a more safe environment and is working through her problems. This has been a real wake up call to her and I think she is coming around to the radical lifesyle change that is required.

Last edited by neilr; 01-23-2004 at 07:09 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: neilr
luyingjie (01-25-2012), mumscancer (08-11-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to neilr For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread