It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 08:00 AM   #1

Weeping Willow HB User
Need info

My friend's daughter found out while she was pregnant that she has Hep C. She had her baby last week......

Both my friend and I work in a hospital and feel really dumb that we know nothing much about Hep C. We "know" what it is and how it's transmitted but we do not know anything else. Like how long it takes before the person gets really ill with it, what type of symptoms/illness are experienced, treatment option, is the outcome eventually death?, how likely was it that the baby became infected during birth (normal vaginal delivery), etc....

Are there any good websites ?? we both have done a search and came up with nothing explaining the emotional/physical side of Hep C.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
Re: Need info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeping Willow
My friend's daughter found out while she was pregnant that she has Hep C. She had her baby last week......

Both my friend and I work in a hospital and feel really dumb that we know nothing much about Hep C. We "know" what it is and how it's transmitted but we do not know anything else. Like how long it takes before the person gets really ill with it, what type of symptoms/illness are experienced, treatment option, is the outcome eventually death?, how likely was it that the baby became infected during birth (normal vaginal delivery), etc....

Are there any good websites ?? we both have done a search and came up with nothing explaining the emotional/physical side of Hep C.

Thanks for any info in advance.
All of the information you have asked for can be found on the website below my name. There is a drop down menu on the homepage and a category called "thanbey responds" that is on the less scientific side of things, but based on research data for the most part (and a 30 years career as a medical social worker, the last 12 in hepatitis C). Many articles on many topics are also found there that you, as medical professionals, might be interested in.

Your friend's daughter is about 98% likely to lead a normal, healthy life and never ever get sick. Research into previously healthy young women have found that if they abstain from alcohol, smoking and lead a pristine lifestyle (good nutition, moderate exercise, moderate weight) Early detection is the key here. Much of the literature (especially the drug company and liver organization stuff) now concerns those who have had the disease 30+ and did not know they had it. That is what makes hepatitis C "deadly," having it and not knowing about that for many years. Even so, many, if not most, people with hepatitis C live normal lifespans and are well people.
The treatment for hepatitis C can impact (negatively) a woman's fertility. (Look under women's health)

There is a section for children and adolescents that has information on maternal child transmission. Rates are low. Children will carry antibodies from the mother until about age 2 and then a test will determine whether seroconversion has taken place. Even when it does, a child usually does very well and there is no liver disease. Like a diabetic child, they need to be taught how to care for themselves and avoid liver toxic situations and behaviors.

You are in a position to urge young people to get tested. I hope you do. Tattoos and piercings on the rise will lead to more infections over time and eliminate young people from the blood, organ and tissue donation pool. It's a serious situation.

I hope this helps,

thanbey

hepatitis c outreach project
[url]www.hcop.org[/url]

...all information is intended for general information and is not an attempt to speak to the specifics of any one person's medical situation or decision...........

preapproved by moderator1

Last edited by thanbey; 02-25-2004 at 08:28 AM. Reason: get tested

The Following User Says Thank You to thanbey For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 AM   #3

Weeping Willow HB User

Thank you so much! You were very helpful. I'm off to check out that site.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeping Willow
Thank you so much! You were very helpful. I'm off to check out that site.

I want to make it very clear that we are talking here about a newly diagnosed, young female and not mixed cohort that includes males, older patients and those infected for a long time.

The information I am offering is specific to a cohort of young, healthy females followed over 20 years.

I noted your comments elsewhere and some apparently conflicting information. For those who are in a mixed cohort studies have, indeed shown a progression rates of about 20%.

There are not many physicians who understand the gender specific characteristics of HCV.

I hope this helps,

thanbey

hepatitis c outreach project
[url]www.hcop.org[/url]

...all information is intended for general information and is not an attempt to speak to the specifics of any one person's medical situation or decision...........

preapproved by moderator1

Closed Thread