It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

Betty Bee HB User
New boyfriend had hep B, is it safe to have sex?

I recently started dating someone who was an IDU and contracted hep B several years ago. He went through the alpha-interferon (pardon the mis-spelling) injection treatment for 6 months and has been given a clean bill of health for the past 2 years. although our relationship is fairly new, I would like to know some details of the virus such as, will we ever be able to have sex,or if the relationship goes further, is he able to have children without contracting the virus to myself and/or a fetus? I know the virus is contracted through blood, but is it still contractable if he has a "clean bill of health" or will he always be a carrier at risk for spreading the virus? Any input is greatlt appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Betty Bee:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Betty Bee For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 12-02-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
Re: New boyfriend had hep B, is it safe to have sex?

I would still use precautions. I would also talk to a doctor or the health department nurse about the pregnancy thing. YOu don't need to take risks for yourself.

The following user gives a hug of support to vamp36:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to vamp36 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

My husband was born with Hep B. We used protection ( I encourage safe sex definately!) for the first couple of years. I had regular check ups, and so did he. After being together for about 5 years, I contacted a woman from the Health Dept. and she was really concerned about me having Hep B because of exposure to my husband. I was not too concerned. I tested negative for Hep B. I then chose to get the Hep B, and Hep A series vaccination. So, now I have been with my husband 8 years. I never did get Hep B, but now I am vaccinated. There will no longer be a worry in my mind, but there really never was. My advice, get the vaccination. It seems to put peoples mind at ease, and gives peace of mind as well. My husband will always be a carrier, due to being born with Hep B. At the same time... he has never gotten sick from the Hep B. He has never been in an acute stage. When people are in an acute stage...they become very sick and also this is the time when others can potentially become exposed and get the disease. I am all for vaccinations! Hope this helped. Thanks for sharing your story, and thanks for letting me share mine.

The following user gives a hug of support to woodfaery:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodfaery For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 12-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
(male)

goingnuts72 HB User
Wink Re: New boyfriend had hep B, is it safe to have sex?

Make sure he has hep b and not hep c, there is a vacine for hep b and A, get it not just for this but to protect yourself always. If you ever do have children together have the child get its vacines at the appropriate age. He is lucky to have someone that cares so much. Get you both counseling and stay there, that way if either of you ever have unwanted feelings it can be handled right away. God Bless.

The following user gives a hug of support to goingnuts72:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to goingnuts72 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 12-14-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

Thanks for all your responses. My boyfriend and I talked some more and he said if I wanted to go with him to speak to his doctor he would arrange the appointment. He made it clear to me that I should be open about any feelings I have regarding his hep b. He has a five year old son who did not contract the disease but was vaccinated when it was appropriate. I trust he is telling me the truth, but I may opt to speak to his doctor directly. Thanks again for sharing your opinions and stories.

Closed Thread