It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

LostMind HB User
Question LIFE INSURANCE & HEP C

Hi, I am new to this board.
I have a question to those of you whom have Hep C.
My husband was diagnosed with Hep C 3 years ago. We currently have no life Insurance. Most require a medical exam and with that he would fail or it would cost a fortune. I have not checked around but does anyone know where he can get a policy or how to go about getting a policy with Hep C ?
I am sorry if this sounds ignorant or stupid ,I was just wondering if anyone had trouble getting insurance.
Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to LostMind:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LostMind For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-18-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

kimberlymar HB User
Re: LIFE INSURANCE & HEP C

thats actually how we found out we had hep c. my husband applied for life insurance and they did blood work and turned us down because it showed hep c antibobies. so then we went to our doctor and he did more test and found out we both had it.
Our insurance agent said he could not get us a policy until we went through treatment and then still it would be very high because when we first applied and were turned down, the results then went into a data base that insurance companies can access that showed we were turned down before and why.
we did apply for insurance after that with a policy that did not require a blood test and that is how we found out about the data base information thing. we were turned down a second time because he was in there.
i think if you went through treatment first and then applied they would never know because even if antibodies show up they just asked for a paper from our doctor saying the other test showed no hep c.
but if someone else does know anything good about this i would also really like to know. i hope this helps and sorry it was not better news

The following user gives a hug of support to kimberlymar:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to kimberlymar For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

klhosler HB User
Thumbs up Re: LIFE INSURANCE & HEP C

Hello, I too have Hep C and prior to my starting treatment (which I have been on for 6 months now) we (my husband and myself) applied for life insurance with two different insurance companies and both were willing to accept me and I had not even decided to start treatment and yes, I also was in the data base. The insurance was not necessarily outrageous compared to what we already had been paying. Actually, I am just slightly less per year than my husband, he was 51 when we applied for the new company and I was 44 with hep c and he takes meds for high cholesteral. Example our policy is 200K each term and Quarterly we pay $170. for him and $150 for me. We live in Ohio and this was in 2004. One Company was Banner Life Insurance and one was Mutual of Omaha. We went with the first. Good luck. K-

The following user gives a hug of support to klhosler:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to klhosler For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
Inactive

Torry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB User
Talking Re: LIFE INSURANCE & HEP C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMind
Hi, I am new to this board.
I have a question to those of you whom have Hep C.
My husband was diagnosed with Hep C 3 years ago. We currently have no life Insurance. Most require a medical exam and with that he would fail or it would cost a fortune. I have not checked around but does anyone know where he can get a policy or how to go about getting a policy with Hep C ?
I am sorry if this sounds ignorant or stupid ,I was just wondering if anyone had trouble getting insurance.
Thank you.
Hi there! I have had hep C for 30 some odd years. I am insured with BlueCross under the HMO Saver plan. It is my understanding that an HMO can not turn you down for pre-conditions. But they can raise your rate. At 59 years old, I pay $372. a month. The monthly fee has alot to do with your age. I have a $10 C0-pay and the list of doctors are many. Actually my own doctor was listed, so i had no problem. The service is not bad if you are agressive in your needs. But I think with Hep C, the only insurance you will obtain is an HMO plan. The others will probably turn you down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Torry1028 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry1028
Hi there! I have had hep C for 30 some odd years. I am insured with BlueCross under the HMO Saver plan. It is my understanding that an HMO can not turn you down for pre-conditions. But they can raise your rate. At 59 years old, I pay $372. a month. The monthly fee has alot to do with your age. I have a $10 C0-pay and the list of doctors are many. Actually my own doctor was listed, so i had no problem. The service is not bad if you are agressive in your needs. But I think with Hep C, the only insurance you will obtain is an HMO plan. The others will probably turn you down.

Hi, Torry

Are you talking about LIFE insurance or HEALTH insurance?

Health insurance other than HMO's is definitely available for hepatitis C and, it seems, so is life insurance. Unless it is through an employer's plan, the cost may be higher.

Good to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to thanbey For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
(female)

LostMind HB User

Thanks to all of you.
I guess we will just have to start making calls and try to find a company who wont rob us blind.
It really sucks that the Ins Companies want you to have "treatments" before they will insure you. My husband has other health Issues and cant have the treatment and may never be able to.
God Bless to all of you !!!

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
(male)

kkris_44 HB User

Pay $126 monthly for 150K term life (for both my wife and I) through Allstate... and they are the reason I found out I have this virus...

The following user gives a hug of support to kkris_44:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to kkris_44 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
(male)

DLMD HB UserDLMD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkris_44
Pay $126 monthly for 150K term life (for both my wife and I) through Allstate... and they are the reason I found out I have this virus...
I'm not trying to be nosey but do you mean $126.00 a month for both of you or each ? Have you treated ? Did they just take you knowing you had Hep C ? At 53 I have life insurance & would like to get some more but what little I have looked at online it was $350.00 a month for $150,000

The following user gives a hug of support to DLMD:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to DLMD For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-31-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
(male)

kkris_44 HB User

That is for both my wife and I ($126 total). We paid $81 for 100K to start. I have not been treated; I was diagnosed with hep-c when applying...

Also, I live in Washington state... which, I think, makes a bit of differnce in rates (residence)... oh, I am 44 and she is 33... her rates are very low...

Best of luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to kkris_44:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to kkris_44 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-31-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
(male)

DLMD HB UserDLMD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMD
I'm not trying to be nosey but do you mean $126.00 a month for both of you or each ? Have you treated ? Did they just take you knowing you had Hep C ? At 53 I have life insurance & would like to get some more but what little I have looked at online it was $350.00 a month for $150,000
Just answered my own qustion. I went to their site & at 53 male smoker for $150,000 15 yr term was $77.00 a month & 20 yr was $92.00.
Of course that's subject to change after you submit you labwork. The questions on their site did not ask if you had certain diseases & conditions it asked if you had been treated for them ? I assume the real application would be more specific but if I could get $150,000 of term life for under $100.00 a month I would jump on it.

The following user gives a hug of support to DLMD:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to DLMD For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-04-2005, 06:59 AM   #11
(female)

LostMind HB User

Hi we have still been looking and we found a place called fireside ins. in brunswick ohio
He is 37, smoker,hep C, anxiety and skin cancer and over weight.. IE.. walking time bomb
They quoted us 50.00 a month on a 10 year universal life policy for 100,000.00
for hubby knowing he has hep c however there is a 2 year waiting period so if he dies within 2 years of getting the policy Im screwed. But its universal so if he pays more then the 50 a mth the length of the policy will be longer and he wont have to reapply when hes older
We are going to our allstate guy to see what he can do for us we have all our other ins through them too.
However if they cant beat it then we are getting the fireside ins policy and risking the 2 yr waiting thingy.
I also have an accidental life policy on myself and it has a spouse/child rider, of cousre he'd have to die in an accident then I would get 60,000.00

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Inactive

Torry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB User

I am talking health insurance. but I have had mine for a few years. I believe the Blue cross health saver plan co-payment is now $30, but I got my plan before they changed it. For a younger person I believe the premium is between $297 and $325 a month. It is my experience that the other plans may turn down a hep C person, but I was told there is something in the law that says they cannot turn down for pre-condition on an HMO plan. One is most likely to get insurance on a ppo plan or other through a group plan with employer and less chance of being turned down, although it will make employers premium higher. I know because when the company where I work, my employer was getting insurance for the others. Because I had my own, the insurance guy said it was better for the company if I kept my own, plus the current plan payments were not quite as low as the one I had. It was discussed in the meeting that if they had a pre-condition, it was best the employee choose the HMO plan. I could be wrong, but a good insurance agent can guide the hep C person to the right insurance for them. Personally, I have a insurance guy who directs me in all my insurance. Even whole life is difficult over 15K unless it is term life insurance. It is even more difficult for me because some jerk doctor reported me to the health dept. on public record.

Last edited by Torry1028; 06-11-2005 at 09:07 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Torry1028 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread