It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #1
(male)

DLMD HB UserDLMD HB User
Ultram / Tramadol Is It Safe To Take With Hep C ?

My wifes Hepatoligist said it was ok but her new primary did not like the idea of her taking Ultram she takes the generic form Tramadol. Anyone have any opinions on this one. She takes two pretty much everday for pain. RA & headaches.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Re: Ultram / Tramadol Is It Safe To Take With Hep C ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMD
My wifes Hepatoligist said it was ok but her new primary did not like the idea of her taking Ultram she takes the generic form Tramadol. Anyone have any opinions on this one. She takes two pretty much everday for pain. RA & headaches.

Hi D,

? The generic and brand name forms of this drug are not likely to have different effects--on the liver or elsewhere. (Tramadol is not conisdered a special liver hazard as far as I know, but the list of adverse reactions definitely indicates that at least sometimes, maybe rarely, there is hepatitis or liver failure in some patients.)

I'm sure your wife's doc has good reason for prescribing this painkiller (others may be worse for the liver, I'm sure), but I suspect that the real reason for preferring the generic is because Ultram is pretty expensive.

I think we should buy generic when we can. The drug companies are doing quite well as it is, I would say.

peace,

sean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
(male)

DLMD HB UserDLMD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Hi D,

? The generic and brand name forms of this drug are not likely to have different effects--on the liver or elsewhere. (Tramadol is not conisdered a special liver hazard as far as I know, but the list of adverse reactions definitely indicates that at least sometimes, maybe rarely, there is hepatitis or liver failure in some patients.)

I'm sure your wife's doc has good reason for prescribing this painkiller (others may be worse for the liver, I'm sure), but I suspect that the real reason for preferring the generic is because Ultram is pretty expensive.

I think we should buy generic when we can. The drug companies are doing quite well as it is, I would say.

peace,

sean
I could not agree more with you on the drug companies doing quite well.
I got this e-mail this morning & it says it all.

A car company can move its factories to Mexico and claim it's a Free Market.
A toy company can outsource to a Chinese subcontractor and claim it's a free market.
A major bank can incorporate in Bermuda to avoid taxes and claim it's a free market.
We can buy HP Printers made in Mexico.
We can buy shirts made in Bangladesh.
We can buy Oysters from Japan
We can purchase fish eggs from Russia.
We can by Biscuits or flu vaccine from England.
We can purchase almost anything we want from many different countries.

BUT, heaven help the elderly who dare to buy their prescription drugs from a Canadian or Mexican pharmacy. That's called un-American!

And you think the pharmaceutical companies don't have a powerful lobby? Think again!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Hi again,

Good points.

Back to the disagreement between the docs, it is yours and certainly your wife's absolute right to convey one doc's reservations back to the prescribing doc. If there are real issues, they should be addressed forthrightly.

I didn't ask what the pain meds were for, so forgive that omission on my part. Mayber that's the most important detail, since different kinds of pain can call for entirely different approaches to relief.

Good luck.

sean

Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
(male)

DLMD HB UserDLMD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Hi again,

Good points.

Back to the disagreement between the docs, it is yours and certainly your wife's absolute right to convey one doc's reservations back to the prescribing doc. If there are real issues, they should be addressed forthrightly.

I didn't ask what the pain meds were for, so forgive that omission on my part. Mayber that's the most important detail, since different kinds of pain can call for entirely different approaches to relief.

Good luck.

sean
She takes it for headaches & RA rhumatoid arthritis - mainly for the arthritis.
She is not as concerned about her Hep C as I am & not as concerned about what drugs are doing to her liver. She says she does not care she would rather live less & hurt less. I'm just the opposite I take Advil every once in a while & do my best not to take anything. After the Viox & other things that have surfaced recently I don't trust anything it's like eggs & coffee & the like.
One day it's ok then it's not then it is again.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMD
She takes it for headaches & RA rhumatoid arthritis - mainly for the arthritis.
She is not as concerned about her Hep C as I am & not as concerned about what drugs are doing to her liver. She says she does not care she would rather live less & hurt less. I'm just the opposite I take Advil every once in a while & do my best not to take anything. After the Viox & other things that have surfaced recently I don't trust anything it's like eggs & coffee & the like.
One day it's ok then it's not then it is again.

Since she is not as concerned about this question and she is taking the medication in concert with her healthcare provider, then it is up to her to make this choice.

The core issue is whether she is making an informed choice weighing out the risk versus the benefits. Sounds to me as though she is. While it may not be the choice you would make, you need to respect her decision to relief her pain with the medication that works for her.

The hepatologists I have spoken with have all said they use tylenol for pain relief. Taking it long term can cause problems for those with liver disease. The risks are minimized by avoiding ALL alcohol, high fat in the diet, maintaining a good weight and not smoking. Odd as it may sound, if the medication improves her ability to be active and live a better quality of life, then the liver may be less of an issue for her, especially if her biopsy had minimal damage. People do metabolize tylenol differently.

On balance, its like the other items you listed. You educate yourself and make the best informed decision you can based on your own values.

take care,

thanbey

Closed Thread