It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Can I give Blood?

I had Hep A in the 70's and "antibodies consistent with immunity" to Hep B. Can I donate blood or is my blood rejected.

Is all blood tested on donation?

If someone gets the Hep B vaccine, will his blood be acceptable or will the antibodies cause the blood to be tossed in the trash?

Last edited by Lenin; 11-05-2005 at 06:23 AM.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Re: Can I give Blood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I had Hep A in the 70's and "antibodies consistent with immunity" to Hep B. Can I donate blood or is my blood rejected.

Is all blood tested on donation?

If someone gets the Hep B vaccine, will his blood be acceptable or will the antibodies cause the blood to be tossed in the trash?

Hi Lenin,

yes, all blood is tested on donation (in America). and for this we should all be thankful.

hep A antibodies do not disqualify you for giving blood. hep B antibodies may, if also accompanied by antigens, disqualify you. that is, if you had hep b, ever, you may not give blood. this is partly because no one is sure that the tests really really really can tell if you have no live virus left (exactly the same situation and policies apply for hep c)

hep b vaccination in the absence of real infection should NOT disqualify you, although each blood center is free to set its own policies as long as they do not contradict FDA rules.

A person who has been vaccinated for hbv and who was not ever exposed to the live virus should show antibodies but not antigens, he is immune but has no traces of previous infecton, so it is indeed possble to tell the difference by a blood test. this person usually would be welcome at any blood donation center.

hope this helps.

sean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread