It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

unrealbutok HB Userunrealbutok HB User
Thumbs up Gone through Hep C Treatment Stage 3

Help, anyone out there in or has been in my situation with Hep C, Genotype 1, 3rd Stage Liver Disease? I am told I should start treatments with a once a week shot Pegatron and 2 pills a day of Riv(?). Concerned about side affects more so then anything. Especially the depression and possible low white blood cell count (prone to infection). I am a senior and pretty healthy otherwise, contracted Hep C via blood transfusion during one of my neck operations. Just found out in 2004. My liver disease slowly progressed over 18 years silently. No signs otherwise, I found out from a blood test when applying for life insurance. Surprise, surprise.

I need to know how the treatment affect your body it's bad enough that you have to stick yourself weekly with a needle. Survivors please inform me of what to expect only you know. Doctors guess as you know everyone is affected differently by medicine. I guess you can gather I am not one that likes to take medicine or shots. Right, since a kid and now a senior nothing has changed. I guess I will take a stab at the treatments and see what happens, if it doesn't show any improvement to the virus count going down I will stop them. Can someone ease my concerns or make me feel a little better about what's ahead? Want good health but hate this process to get it. Waiting for some answers from those that know.

Thanks and to those that went through the treatments and are fine, you're my heroes.

Joyce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
(male)

Glenn B HB User
Re: Gone through Hep C Treatment Stage 3

Joyce,

I went thru treatement (48 weeks) at age 55. I did have a lot of side effects.
My white count did go way down but I was lucky, I didn't get any infections. I did get anemia from low red\hemoglobin\hemocrit. This knocked me for a loop. Was finally put on Procrit (another injection you have to give yourself) and that helped. I had problems with my thyroid prior to treatment which became worse during treatment. I had problems with sleeping and was put on Lunesta for that. I developed anxiety\depression problems and tried a bunch of medications for that. There weer other things I can't remember them all.

I did feel pretty miserable for the 48 weeks but there were times when I was ok. My doctor told me that they were there basically to treat my side effects. So I let them know all of them.

Now that it's over, I'm glad I did it.....If I had to do it again.....I don't know !!

Glenn

Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn B View Post
Joyce,

I went thru treatement (48 weeks) at age 55. I did have a lot of side effects.
My white count did go way down but I was lucky, I didn't get any infections. I did get anemia from low red\hemoglobin\hemocrit. This knocked me for a loop. Was finally put on Procrit (another injection you have to give yourself) and that helped. I had problems with my thyroid prior to treatment which became worse during treatment. I had problems with sleeping and was put on Lunesta for that. I developed anxiety\depression problems and tried a bunch of medications for that. There weer other things I can't remember them all.

I did feel pretty miserable for the 48 weeks but there were times when I was ok. My doctor told me that they were there basically to treat my side effects. So I let them know all of them.

Now that it's over, I'm glad I did it.....If I had to do it again.....I don't know !!

Glenn

Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

Hi Glenn, Thanks for replying to my post. I have been reading other posts you, Jessica28 and others have posted. All have been helpful to me whether I should take the treatments. I suppose the side affects can be tolerable I just don't want to get any infections which could lead to who knows what. I'm glad that you are ok now. I suppose the medicine will affect everyone differently. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it does to me. The information coming from you (being we were diagnosed the same) I think I will give it a shot. I didn't think anyone would ever reply and that I was the only one with my type Hepatitis C. Thank you so much. I hope you continue to test clear of Hep C. Have a good life.

Closed Thread