It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

blalockm HB User
How Do you find out how long you've had Hep C

Does the biopsy explain this to you? How would one know how long they've had this before getting a dx? I have no idea HOW I got this, it's anyone's guess, so how would I know how long I've had it?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User
Re: How Do you find out how long you've had Hep C

I hear people on here say that the doctors think they have had hep c for such and such so long. I don't have a clue how they gage that. Maybe by the amount of damage in the liver. I would think that viral load could have something to do with it but not really. I had only had hep c for two years and my viral load was 200,000 or so and with in another three years it was in the seven millions so how could that work? Plus the condition of the liver really can't tell too much unless you were a completely healthy person. Sorry no one has answered you yet...there has to be someone who knows. Did you ever find out? Did you have a blood transfusion, do iv drugs, have surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

april23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalockm View Post
Does the biopsy explain this to you? How would one know how long they've had this before getting a dx? I have no idea HOW I got this, it's anyone's guess, so how would I know how long I've had it?
They can tell long you have it by a biopsy.It is then told what stage your in.
My mother just passed away on april 23/07 she was told five years ago she had hep c,she got from a blood transfusion in 1983.There are treatments you can get and proper diet can control it.,but my mom body rejected the treatment.So all we could do is proper diet.low sodium diet.If you ever have any question,just ask and i will try to help you.I wish i had some help to know what was going to happen all the time with my mom.My mom was only 64 years old.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
(male)

Glenn B HB User

I'm pretty sure there is no way of telling how long you have had it. Most people know by "risky" behavior or transfusion dates.

I started using IV drugs in Vietnam in 1971. Could have gotten it there. I continued to use IV drugs until 1988. Could have gotten it the last time I used. My liver biopsy was done around 1999 and my doctor said I had a mild case of Hep C. My doctor today looked at my old biopsy and said I was in stage 3 back then.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Actually, they can't tell by the biopsy--all that shows is the condition your liver is currently in. If you have had HCV for a few years but have been a heavy drinker you are going to show a lot more damage than someone who has had it for decades and never drank. I am kind of a veteran with this--my hubby had it for almost 40 years--we knew about it for 10 and no symptoms--then he developed Primary Liver Cancer-discovered 12/05. Luckily for us he was transplanted 9/06 and has done really well. However, the HCV is still there and now is beginning to affect his new liver so we are looking st Interferon--yuck. We do not KNOW how he got HCV, but he was in the military 72-74 and that is the ONLY time he could have gotten it--airgun immunizations--a high incidence of HCV among soldiers. HE NEVER and I mean NEVER drank alcohol, which is the death knell for HCV patients.
If you were an IV drug user, or you had a blood transfusion prior to the rigorous testing they began doing within the past 10 or so years, then yes, you probably can pinpoint with greater certainty the actually infection date.
A biopsy just shows the level of liver damage and inflammation. The blood tests will show viral load. They still do not know that much about HCV,, sadly, all they know for sure is DO NOT DRINK!! That's the quickest way to death! My hubby lived for alomost 40 years with it and God willing, we'll have him for 30 more.

Closed Thread