It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
(male)

Chuck39 HB User
What are the 4 stages of liver disease?

In 2002 I was diagnosed with Hep C. I was in the first stage of liver disease. A liver biopsy was performed and confirmed the DX. I chose not to start any medication because 1. I felt great, 2. I didn't like the horror stories I was reading about the effects of treatment, since a cure was not guaranteed. I started taking Milk Thistle because I read that it was helpful to many who have the diease. Now, 5 years later, another biopsy shows I've progressed to stage two liver disease, no thanks to Milk Thistle. I'm not much of an alcohol consumer and never have been. I would like to know the four stages of liver disease, length of time between stages and perhaps any encouragement I can get to deal with this disastrous disease. I'm 68 years old. Thanking you in advance.
chuck39

The following user gives a hug of support to Chuck39:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck39 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lorraine86 HB User
Re: What are the 4 stages of liver disease?

I hope you get a reply because I am in the same boat right now. I had biopsy done in 96 and was found to have mild hep c. I did nothing for 11yrs. All my numbers are elevated, had biopsy done 6 wks ago and it showed cirrhosis. Moderate. My Md is saying I need to go on the tx. I am geno 1 and he gives me a 40% response to tx. My liver is funtioning well at the present. Like you I have heard all the horror stories and I am terrified to go on tx. I see md on thurs so I have to decide what to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lorraine86 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012), peggeo (03-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
(male)

Chuck39 HB User

I'd be interested in learning of the decision you make. I'm thinking very seriously about going on a treatment program, but the question I keep asking myself is "if I elect not to take those scary drugs, how much quality time do I have left, assuming I never take another drop of alcohol," I'm a former R.N. and my guess is I either contracted the disease while working in this capacity or while being transfused as a result of a traffic accident back in the 60's. As I stated earlier, I'd be interested in finding out more info on the stages of liver disease. I've looked at a lot of material but have not found anything about stages of liver diease, except end stage liver disease, but I'm not ready to go there yet.

Last edited by Chuck39; 09-07-2007 at 06:09 PM.

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lorraine86 HB User

Hi Chuck
I'm also a nurse I'm guessing I contacted it back in the 70's. Did'nt always use gloves or universal percautions also had a c-section in 1969 I'm not sure if they gave me bld then. I'll prob do the tx It would prob be irresponsible not to give myself a chance I keep tellin myself if I had the tx 11yrs ago I might not have cirrhosis now.

The Following User Says Thank You to lorraine86 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 09-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

karen328 HB Userkaren328 HB User

Hi Chuck and Lorraine,

My name is Karen and I have HCV. I'm also a nurse; was dx in '95 after trying to donate blood for surgery for my mom. I was 38 then. Thought it was a mistake, felt fine, ya da ya da... I've had a total of 3 liver Bx's, 1st two were unremarkable, last one 7/07 showed mild fibrosis. In answer to your question, the 4 stages are inflammation, fibrosis, cirrhosis, cancer. I waited for 12 years for something better than interferon/ribavirin to come along. While they are making headway, I/R is still the treatment protocol. So...after my last liver bx, went to my GI/hepatologist and we talked...my enzymes were almost always normal or 1-2 pts. elevated, viral load always around 400,000-500,000, again, not as high as most. Oh, and I'm Geno I. Reason I chose to go ahead: it gets really tough going thru the tx the older you get and sicker you get...if you can go thru it before you get to that point you'll have a better success rate. I entered a Valeant Pharm. research study for Taribavirin (along with Peginterferon). The Taribavirin is having some success in preventing the anemia that's common with Ribavirin. It's a Phase II study and is available in several states. If you want more info, let me know. I begin my first treatment Thursday, 9/13. Am thinking of starting my own Hep info site but need to figure out how I hope this info is helpful; there are alot of great people on this site and I have found it to be very informative; keeping informed and being able to communicate with other heppers will keep you sane Hope to hear from you again, best wishes!!

Karen

The Following User Says Thank You to karen328 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

unrealbutok HB Userunrealbutok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen328 View Post
Hi Chuck and Lorraine,

My name is Karen and I have HCV. I'm also a nurse; was dx in '95 after trying to donate blood for surgery for my mom. I was 38 then. Thought it was a mistake, felt fine, ya da ya da... I've had a total of 3 liver Bx's, 1st two were unremarkable, last one 7/07 showed mild fibrosis. In answer to your question, the 4 stages are inflammation, fibrosis, cirrhosis, cancer.
Karen
Hi All, I just took my 16th shot yesterday, I'm Geno 1, 67 yrs. old, Fibrosis State 3. My side affects have been minimal, however, the last three weeks I have this itchy skin and red blotches that started. I just came from the doctor and he prescribed me some meds for this. I too was a bit uncertain about taking treatments due to side affects. I've been lucky thus far. I hope I don't development any down the line but I can only pray. I just take my weekly shot and pills daily. One good thing my viral load has gone done tremendously, so for me, the treatments are working. I still work and do my normal things. I don't feel too tired, just irritated at times. Think about it, it is your life you are dealing with. It is worth a try, I'm doing ok and others have completed the treatments. Each of you have to make your own decision. You have the final say! Good Luck to you all, and like Karen keep posting you get a lot of information from those Heppers that have been there and you also get information on those that treatment didn't work. You need both insights and the medical information is very helpful. Have a good weekend everyone. Joyce

The following user gives a hug of support to unrealbutok:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to unrealbutok For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
(male)

Chuck39 HB User

Thanks for sharing that with me, Karen. Yes, I would like more info on this phase II study involving Taribavirin. I wish you luck in your Tx and would appreciate an update on your progress, from time to time

a

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lorraine86 HB User

Karen
thank you so much I already feel better. It really helps to have some support from people that are going thru it. I am also interested in the info onTaribavirin. I would love to keep in touch with you. I'm going to md on 9/13 to talk about starting tx. Good Luck. Please let me know how you make out

The Following User Says Thank You to lorraine86 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread