It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

ocman HB User
Can someone help explain my biopsy?

Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could help explain my biopsy.

I'm Genotype 1A

Liver Needle Biopsy: Chronic Hepatitis C with mild lobular inflammation and focal mild portal fibrous

Comment: these histological features are typical of early stage Chronic Hepatitis C with mild inflammation and mild fibrosis. Fragmentation of the needle biopsy precludes accurate fibrosis assessment and I am concerned that the fibrosis may a little more advanced that I appreciate but there is no concern for bridging fibrosis or cirrhosis.

GROSS DESCRIPTION

Specimen #1: Received in formalin labeled liver biopsy are two cores of tan-yellow soft tissue measuring up to 1 cm. in length. Entirely submitted in one cassette. D/T: SMF/jm: 07-15-05

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION

Specimen #1: The needle biopsy of liver is in two major fragments with a total length of approximately 1 cm. Portions of four portal areas are identified, several of which are widened by lymphoid proliferation. Intralobular bile ducts are intact. Several portal regions have mild to moderate interface hepatitis. Plasma cells are not abundant in the portal regions. Within the lobule, there is a fairly normal cord pattern with scattered foci of mononuclear cell aggregates typical of mild hepatocellular necrosis. There is trace fatty change in a few fragments, and a few hepatocytes have open (so-called metabolic) nuclei. No stainable iron is noted and the control is appropriately positive. The trichrome stain reveals a few areas suspicious for portal fibrous expansion, but regenerative nodule formation is not noted. The PAS-diastase reveals no cytoplasmic globules within hepatocytes. The orcein stain in unremarkable and the control is appropriately posititve. PAS without diastase in noncontributory. The Knodell score: Periportal necrosis score3; Lobular inflammation score is 3; Portal inflammation score 3; Fibrosis score 1; Total score is 10. D/T: JRC/am: 7-18-05 TDC: OK

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
(male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User
Re: Can someone help explain my biopsy?

i know that geneotype 1a is the worst one, i have the same with a viral load of 10 million. i found out 2 years ago i had it and had to get a biopsy and a ultrasound done. to know exactly what yours mean you should ask your dr.
good luck.

Closed Thread