It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #1

clarksart HB User
Post muscle cramps

Hello, I'm new here so please bare with me... I, like you have hep C, because of this I have protien in my urine. I get these masive muscle cramps after minor physical activity. Does this happen to anyone else.... I think it is because of the protien loss, but I'm not sure...I only know that these cramps are the worst things I've ever felt in my life, and I've had a string of doozies....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Inactive

LOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB User
Cool

Howdy Clarksart-
Welcome to the forum, an exellent board for any questions so no-one has to bare with you, I have had HCV for close to twenty years, I have had muscle cramps also, but they were not related to HCV directly, one less reason would be if one perspires lots and has a no sodium [salt] diet, then a minor activity triggers these cramps, a more likely reason is lack of water, if you do not Drink several Quarts a day you can suffer from massive cramps.

A person in summer in warm weather,sitting in the shade can lose a Quart of water though persperation and urine,which also leads of course to loss of sodium, then say -if that person is hiking up and down hills,which I do lots of in the fall, and does not drink clean water even when NOT thirsty, it can lead to dehydration, even mild dehrdration can cause these cramps.
I watch my water intake carefully, but get busy somtimes and it slips my mind, I pay for it, I can wake up from a dead sleep to what feels like someone hitting me in the leg with a baseball bat, real bad leg cramps, this also sounds simular to what you are describing, Statistics show that 75 percent of us North Americans suffer from symtoms of dehydration.

Of course it may be other reasons, but these are the easist to rule out.
Be Well +

------------------
--Get Outdoors-Enjoy Life----Neil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

restless HB Userrestless HB Userrestless HB User
Welcome.
I used to get very bad leg cramps. I still do sometimes if I'm not careful. Even if dehydration isn't the cause of your cramps(check with your doc) water is still your best friend. Water flushes toxins. I feel much better when I remember to make myself drink water. I don't count the excessive amounts of coffee that I consume(not good)or anything else I drink. I try to make myself drink at least a couple quarts of plain water a day. If I forget or get to busy working(when I need it the most) I feel much worse by the end of the day. I do think that water helps my muscle cramps and a whole lot more. Good luck to you.
Peace
Restless

Old 01-24-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
Smile

hi clarkstart and welcome to the board
i agree with lost 1 and restless, water is great for flushing some of those toxins, and keep us from dehydration.i keep the quart bottles of water on hand, as i find they are convienient.
keep the faith,bless you...mj

Old 01-25-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User
Normally, protein is not excreted in urine because the protein molecules are too large to pass through the filtering membranes in the kidneys. If these filtering structures are damaged, protein escapes. The presence of protein in the urine is an important indicator of kidney disease.

So, my question is this: have you been assessed and a determination made from medical testing that this is occuring and due to Hepatitis C? It certainly IS possible that it is hepato-renal syndrome, but this requires a doctor's careful assessment and some follow-up care.

The cramps are more likely due to a metabolic loss of potassium and other minerals, perhaps from drinking TOO MUCH. You might try drinking some pedialyte (pedialite?) and/or taking potasium supplements (eat bananas!)with magnesium in them and see whether this helps the cramping, IF you have not had testing and are making an assumption based on the cramping.

Whatever you do, a doctor should be involved and this board should not be a substitute for a doctor's evaluation and advice. This includes my input.

I hope this helps,

thanbey
[url="http://www.hcop.org"]www.hcop.org[/url]

------------------
[url="http://www.hcop.org"]www.hcop.org[/url]
preapproved by moderator1

Old 02-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #6

clarksart HB User
Thank you all for your replies and concern, and sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a couple weeks and couldn't find a computer anywhere on the beach ( nor did I look any further). I'v been reading a lot about mussle cramps and it seems everything points to lack of water. I know this to be a real possible contender since I don't drink any water at all!!! Plenty of soda, orange juice and crap like that. I don't drink any alcohol so thats not a factor. In the last couple weeks I'v started drinking (or trying hard to) lots of water and haven't had any visits from Charlie and his horse. So, maybe things are looking up after all.... again, thank you...

Old 02-05-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Inactive

LOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB User
Cool

Clarksart-
Glad too see your cramps have stopped, water is so important to all us living beings, us humans seem to be the only species that deprive ourselves of water to the point of all kinds of illness, as I stated it is an easy thging to rule out.
I would assume that if you know you have protein in the urine, that a Doc has told you that and you are taking measures to correct any problems.
Be Well+

------------------

Old 02-07-2003, 09:43 AM   #8
Inactive

Cool

Howdy folks-
An important note on water here, I am drinking my prescribed 8-8Oz glasses of water, and probebly substancelly over that as now that I am on the Pegasys, I am more thirsty that I was when I was doing the Pre- Treatment thing, where you had to remind yourself to drink your quota.

Drinking too much water may also cause problems other than finding that bathroom QUICK hehe.
I have found and discussed this with my Doc, that I drink a small bottle of Gator-Aid, or simular sports drink to replentish electrolites, sodium, etc that can not keep up as I continuelly flush my system of these
items,.
These sports drinks where designed for this, as active in sports, people drink lots of water and sweat profusly resulting in the same loss.

I feel great after "topping up", Now as usual, this works for me, Disscus this with your Doc before trying.
Be Well +

------------------

Closed Thread