It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
Inactive

DOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB User
Post ALT & AST ? HOW HIGH ARE THESE # S

My wife finally had her blood work to check for hep c today & it will take about a week to ten days to get it back.
I know she will be worried but she needs to know one way or the other.
As I have said before I don't know where or how I got it I fit no risk groups.
I pray she won't but I fear she will & if she does I am afraid she will blame me.
My daughter was tested this year & was negative PRAISE GOD.
My wife is afraid because before she knew any better she would use my razors after I was done with them.
I got my lab work back today & everything is normal ranges except my ALT & AST.
ALT was high at 99 on a scale of 2 - 60 being normal.
AST was high at 61 on a scale of 2 - 50 being normal.
Anyone know how high this is ?
A year ago they were both in normal range.
Doctor didn't say much just come back in a year.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive

LOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB User
Cool

DRSLMD-
Well howdy old freind,I also pray that your wife will be negative, I knew that your daughter, tested negative, outstanding, if you remember, my wife went though hell after I found out I tested positive, as she had blood transfusions a couple of years before, and a couple of years after, my transfusion, hers not a transfusion but 28 units of transfusions.

she tested positive, and we went though hell, but negative on second test, third positive, forth negative, as with all others, she was one of those fourtunates that their own body develops that mysterious anti- bodies for HCV, and she is virus free, so we know what you are going though.

Regardless, my point is we were so far up in odds it was unreal, the odds of your wife contacting it from you, [although a possiblity] or differently from you,at a different time, are very high, you have a better chance of winning that big lotto, or getting hit by lightning.

As for your Alt and Ast numbers, which are only a little higher than normal, and not really somthing to panic about, I would wait until next month, retest and see what they read then, those numbers jump around so much and have so many factors to do so,[having a cold, prescription drugs,chemical exposer, even pollution, etc], although above normal they are low, my ALT was over 275, just before taking Pegasys, which went down to 72 after the first week.

so do not worry, just retest in a month, and go from there, I wish you and yours the best, Take care of them all,
Be Positive, Be Well+

------------------
--Get Outdoors-Enjoy Life----Neil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2003, 04:29 PM   #3

crybabytoo HB User
Docs...Down; Ayear ago when I was diagnosed, my ALT/AST was in similer ranges. I tried PegIntron, could not handle the sides. Anyway, I try to lead an active life, take vit e, MT, and Lipoic acid, onlt because I don't think it will hurt and may offer some help to the liver. Last week, my alt/ast was 41/8, platelets,ggt normal. Doc said if he had not had the biopsy results and PCR results in my file, he would not even suspect I had HCV. I know i have it though. Even though I am getting along in years (64), on my good days I can tell the difference from my bad days ( mostly fatigue). I hope the protease inhibitor trials turn out good, meanwhile, I'll keep on with what i'm doing now. good luck to you

... from the ET Piney Woods, Crybabytoo

Old 03-18-2003, 03:33 AM   #4
Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
Smile

hi, dlmd
i haven't done treatment (thus far), i've had this over 20 years(learned of it in/99).i have a standing order for my blood work and have the results faxed over to me from the lab.the highest mine were was 125,that was about 2 years ago.last month they were in the 60's.i've read about ones up in the 4/5 hundreds.i'm married over 15 years and my husband does not have it.i wish you and your family well.
keep the faith, bless you................mj

Closed Thread