It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2003, 03:23 PM   #1

IBC HB User
Exclamation Cod Liver Oil for Hep!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share with you our personal experience with Cod Liver Oil and Vit. E...It saved my husband's life!!

When my husband was finally dxed with Hep C, his liver was in the "shut down" stage with his enzymes well over 1500! I will never forget that day when we were told that he had a very short life to live out and that soon his liver would fail.

We just happened upon a doctor that also has Hep C. He told us that there had been extensive research in Japan as to why they do NOT seem to have a problem with any forms of Hep. The results...you guessed it...due to the amount of Cod Liver Oil that is taken in on a regular diet.

With his liver 3 fingers swollen and his enzymes over 1500 we took this doctor's advice and purchased some Cod Liver Oil and some Vit. E.

Within ONE weeks time...the swelling had been reduced drastically, but better yet...his enzymes had become significantly lower. almost to normal levels!!

This is no joke or gimmick...plain flat out truthful testimony from someone who watched her husband come from the dead to the alive again! I cannot say enough about Cod Liver Oil or this doctor...they literally saved my husbands life at that time!

From time to time, he will have flare ups...and he will again take his pills and it will dye down. He has outlived the years that they gave him and we plan on having many more.

We by no means are foolish and we do realize that someday in the future, liver failure will no doubt take his life....but for now...we have been able to postpone that.

Please...Please....I urge any of you that suffer from liver trouble to give it a try. You have nothing to lose.....I have yet to hear any thing negative about Cod Liver Oil or Vit. E...other then possibly someone being allergic. Do yourself a favor..and just try it!

I would be happy to answer any individual emails if anyone chooses to write...please feel free!
[removed].com

IBC

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines
as you agreed to do when you registered for membership.
Do not post your email address on the message board.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 03-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #2

DirtDiva HB UserDirtDiva HB UserDirtDiva HB User
IBC,

Perhaps it's the Omega-3 oils it has in it. My newphew had melanoma and we read up that this was important for diet.

Glad to hear that all worked out for your husband. Thanks for sharing your information.
DD

Old 03-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #3

beetlejuice HB User
Unhappy

Gosh...and I thought cod liver oil was bad for you when you have HCV

Old 03-20-2003, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
Thumbs up

hello IBC
thank's for sharring your info.i take 1/400iu's of vitamin daily as well as 1 multi vit(no iron),and have been for many years.i have not taken treatment (yet).i was happy to hear that your hubby's condition, turned for the better.
keep the faith, bless you................mj

Old 03-20-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
How much of which? Like most dietary factors (and meds, for that matter), dosage counts.

Vitamin E is one of the "alternatives" most clearly supported by research as helpful in hep c. Interestingly, it is one of the only substances shown to be well correlated with sustained response to treatment (zinc is the other with such substantial research support). This applies to vit E supplementation at or above 1,000 units per day.

Cod liver oil, which is no doubt a very healthful substance for most people, may be more complicated for us. Vitamin A is one of those substances that is dangerous for the liver if too little OR too much is taken. CLO has A, vit D, and omega 3's, so in moderate doses it is probably excellent as dietary supplement, just as our mothers believed, in their day.

However, CLO has NOT been much studied, as far as I can discover, in the case of hep. Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory, so that's probably good, but they oxidize famously, so taking E and other antoxidants is critical. Also, O3's can interfere with blood clotting and since this is already an issue for us, we must keep track or Prothrombin time, and so on.

I've also seen Cod Liver Oil described as a Vit E antagonist. I have no idea what this involves and can't track down much research on the subject. However, I'd take it as suggestive that of the two remedies you're using, the E is the safest to go to at high doses. (I take CLO as a source of A and D and have for years, but a pretty modest dose.)

Just my opinion, based on my readings to date. I am very glad to hear of your great results. Add some zinc to your mix, and maybe some of the simple, cheap antoxidants other than E such as Alpha Lipoic Acid or NAC, or green tea exracts. All these are cheap, safe, help recycle or preserve the vit E, and will help protect against over-enthusiastic oxidation by the fish oil.

Anyway, what you're doing seems to be working for you, and that's just terrific.

peace (to all the world)

sean

[This message has been edited by sean (edited 03-20-2003).]

Old 03-20-2003, 08:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Oh, and much more important!:

NO, liver disease will NOT necessarily take his life. If he avoids alcohol, tobacco, and obvious liver hazards like paint thinner and the like, there is now considerable evidence that the liver can heal, either (rarely) by itself, or in cases like his, with Pegasys or some of the other, newer forms of interferon treatment.

I don't mean to imply that interferon tx is a snap--everything we know about it says otherwise--but hep and advanced liver disease is NOT a death sentence. Life style changes can help enormously, and if these are insufficient to reverse fibrosis and liver dysfunction, treatments DO exist. This is not drug co. hype, and the life style advice is not just wishful thinking--these are accumulating convincing results in the published research.

Go back and talk to that doc some more, and get yourself a really good hepatologist or gastroenterologist. There is much we are learning about this disease every day.

sean

Old 03-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
Smile

hi sean
interesting posting (thank's for sharring), i was introduced to vit-e,(before i knew i had hep)for the gramping in my calves,feet etc.
keep the faith, bless you................mj

Closed Thread