It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Inactive

DOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB User
Post LOOSE SKIN ? ( PLEASE READ & RESPOND )

I have likely ask this before & if so sorry but if I did I don't remember the answer.
I am 49 will be 50 in June so I know I am getting older but to me my skin seems to be getting thinner on the top of my hands & on my shins on my legs.
It just looks weird to me loose, wrinkled ect.
Like I have extra skin ( LOL ) Reminds me of the way I remember my grandparents skin looking.
Seriously though when I bend my wrist back there are several folds of skin, loose on elbows ect.
My wifes hands look the same way & she is 43.
Is this a hep thing & what causes it?
Thanks in advance for your replys.

The Following User Says Thank You to DOCTORSLETMEDOWN For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 03-24-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
Smile

hi DLMD
"extra skin"lol!
lets just hope that it's going to stick to our bodies!on a seriose note though, i'm older than your wife, younger than you (not that you're old, by no means), but i have had loose skin on my hands. i just use the vit,e cream for them. i find that it helps and it's not expensive, or even the aloe vera cream.i've been using it for quite sometime now and my skin seems firmer.my hubbys hands are like "sand paper"good for scratching my back (hehe)...............
leep the faith, bless you..............mj

The following user gives a hug of support to askherjohn82:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to askherjohn82 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran

askherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB Useraskherjohn82 HB User
Smile

i think i need a new keyboard, as this keeps sticking!
keep the faith,bless you.................mj

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 03-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
im no expert but have heard that as we age, our skin loses some of its fullness because of a reduction of stuff like collagen that results in thinner skin. some other things naturally happen like muscle atrophe...etc

your best bet would be to talk to a dermatologist. be sure to tell him/her about your hcv status and treatment (tx) if any. that information could be invaluable to his/her understanding of your concerns. be sure to let the doctor know that you are willing to wait until the next visit so he/she may have the chance to research.

hcv is still a relatively new disease and more is being learned about it all the time.

best wishes,

wes

The following user gives a hug of support to Wes1212:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes1212 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 03-28-2003, 05:06 AM   #5
Veteran

Smile

hi Wess1212
interesting post.
keep the faith, bless you.............mj

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 03-28-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Inactive

LOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB User

DRSLMD-
What the?- my hair is getting gray on the- what the? -whats wrong with my belly its bigger and- What the? -I can't see this darn screne as good as a couple of years ago, --------------time to let go of the ole 8 track DRSLMD he he.
in the best of spirts-
Be positive ,Be Well +

------------------
--Get Outdoors-Enjoy Life----Neil

The Following User Says Thank You to LOST1 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 03-28-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
Inactive

DOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB UserDOCTORSLETMEDOWN HB User
Question

HEY NEIL !!
Seriously just wondered if it's a hep thing skin is just getting thin & paper like on top of hands & wrinkley on arms & legs & loose all over & my wife is noticing the same thing.
Don't mind the aging thing but this has happened pretty recently.

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 03-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
Inactive

LOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB UserLOST1 HB User
Cool

DRSLMD-
Sorry pal, was just trying to make you smile,I have never heard of anyone else stating this as a symtom of HCV, other than dry skin, as Wes says- better see a dermatologist just to be sure, take care bud.
Be Positive,Be well+

------------------
--Get Outdoors-Enjoy Life----Neil

The Following User Says Thank You to LOST1 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-19-2003, 08:09 AM   #9

bobgure HB User
HI 'Doctorslet..'

Yeah, I have the thinning also as well as a loss of muscle tone. It does seem alarming because it seemed to come on suddenly...like middle age exploding all at once.
What I do know is that there's a reduction in collagen and diminishing of muscle support. This is fairly typical of middle age, 'they' say...however if our immune systems are compromised and we have inflamatory processes happening like HepC it's most likely to affect alot of things.
Everything is interconnected. Just because the Medical Establishment is built on a model of specialization and cutting our bodies up into categories doesn't mean that the body isn't working in harmony/disharmony.

I've had to do alot of thinking about this. Researching <nutrition> from educated,reliable sources, not neccesarily conventional MD's most of whom know next to nothing about nutrition.
Yeah , my body feels like it's breaking down....and it 'seems' sudden. And I feel panicked.
But I've observed that by the time something manifests, it usually means that it's been processing for a while, then becomes 'symptomatic' when we can actually see it.
From the info I've gathered I believe that 'aging' problems ,meaning the <negative> aspects, result from inflammatory processes happening and the body not getting nescessary requirement for pro-active nutritional supplementation and exercise.

I feel pretty hopeful about reversing the damage. And I have to be aware of the NEGATIVE things that are contributing to the problem.
For me...I smoke. I still drink coffee (very little, but it's not the QUANTITY!), I don't sleep well, I'm depressed and very stressed out. I'm not exercising regularly.....
To be realistic, for myself, it would be helpful to me to try to accept the problem exists and to take GREATER care of myself in all aspects...nutritional, physical, spiritual, social -<especially> since i'm sickly and stressed. awarness>acceptance>action--it's hard.
The real problem as I sense it, is that I have a confict with feeling that I deserve to feel good.
But I DO have the right, even if I don't know it.

I'm hoping that this doesn't sound preachy or advising.
Mostly just looking at my own stuff and writing out loud.
I've had a bad history with Doctors. It's hard to trust.
That's why I come to places like this. We all share a common problem although we're all different, and this can be very healing....especially if it inspires me to be authentic about who I am , without apology.
Most of the MD's i've met have not been all that compassionate or even that knowledgable as well as being defensive and arrogant. Needless to say, I have a hard time with them and usually leave their offices feeling belittled and compromised.
Whew.
Bob

The following user gives a hug of support to bobgure:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bobgure For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-19-2003, 01:34 PM   #10
Inactive

Thumbs up

BOB YOU SOUND LIKE ME ( LOL )
That is why I go by DOCTORSLETMEDOWN.
I have been walking 3 or 4 miles at least 3 times a week the last couple of weeks.
It's been tough but I am determined I am gonna' do it if I have to crawl.
Sorry you have some of my concerns but at least I know I am not alone.

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-19-2003, 07:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Thumbs down

Hi Docs,

I think the explanation most people here are gently hinting at--that we're getting older--is the most likely explanation, sorry to say. However, it can also be true that our skin can seem a bit loose if we get dehydrated. Eat salt (unless you have a blood pressure problem) and drink a bit more water or other fluids and see if this makes a difference.

And Bobgure, I wouldn't worry about the coffee so much as far as the liver goes, but the smoking is definitely an issue. We all know the story on hep and alcohol, but smoking seems to run a close second as a no-no for the viral-infected liver (that would be us).

As far as the general pattern of age symptoms coming on suddenly, I can personally testify that I was 17 only months ago, and am now in my late 50's. Explain that!

peace

sean

The following user gives a hug of support to sean:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sean For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-20-2003, 06:31 AM   #12
Inactive

Thumbs up

Yea I was just 16 last week & still playing in a band ( 50 this June ) it is amazing ( LOL )
The age thing I hope is all it that it is.
My wife is 43 & same thing with skin & we just both kinda said what is going on at the same time.
I don't really guess it matters much as long as we don't step on it.

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-20-2003, 07:58 AM   #13

bobgure HB User
Thumbs up

Hey Guys,
Thanks for reminding me of something obvious - water.
Hydration is so very essential and something I always forget about. Gary Null and other nutritionists often talk about the absolute importance of getting at the very least, 8-9 cups a day if not more. I always forget.

I assume we all know the dangers of sugar, refined and processed food...the good news is that we live in a time when there is a wealth of information about healing and nutrition.
My real issue is that I feel alot of anger about being sick. I have a lot of health issues going on and I feel very depressed, which makes it easy to say 'what's the use'..it's too much work. Because severe depression is physiological and it becomes 'work' to do <anything>, much less modify my entire lifestyle all at once(!).
I try to remind myself of the 'one day at a time'...just the reminder can be helpful.
I was 26, getting sober, chasing women, Yeah, jamming and the clubs and playing and haircuts and parties and clothes.
I woke up in the middle of the night and in the proverbial blink of an eye, i'm forty seven!!! with osteopenia, hep c, polycythemia and a severe jaw/bite problem. I lost height, like an old woman, and feel devastated. sigh.
It became doctors doctors doctors and more. Arrogant,contemptable ignorant robots. I don't want to feel bitter...it can be hard to replace old attitudes with new, and I know i'm angry and feel punished.

thanks for listening...
Bob

The following user gives a hug of support to bobgure:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bobgure For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-21-2003, 07:55 AM   #14
Inactive

Cool

BOB!
This was the first hep site I came to when I found out I had hep c.
I thankful I did there are people here who truly want to help.
It's not acceptable here on this site but is on many others to discuss Religion & what it can do for one emotionally as well as physically.
Look around for those sites.
There is a peace to be found.
I wish I could be more specific.
Keep the faith.

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #15
Veteran

Thumbs up

interesting reply,sean
keep the faith, bless you................mj

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread