It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

Kimb11 HB User
Anti-bodies vs. viral load

Happy Friday All!

A couple of months ago I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration/ long lasting flu, etc. Anyway, my liver enzyme count was 650, should be at 50. So, they tested me for Hep. I came back positive for hep c, they even re-did the test. I've never used IV drugs, but I have put a straw or two up my nose (ok, way more than a couple, but it's been years since I gave that all up), I've gotten a tattoo, and had a hysterectomy in Alaska about 25 years ago, way before they tested blood...

So, I go see the liver dr and he has me take another blood test, this one to see what my "viral load" was at, what level (1 thru 4), etc. When the nurse called me, she said my results were "negative". I said it wasn't that kind of test, the results should be what level 1 thru 4 and how much my viral load was at. I ended up going in and seeing the dr yesterday. He is redoing the tests, but here's what they are saying...
I test positive for the hep c anti bodies, but my viral load is "undetectable". He wouldn't really give me any answers until he sees the results from the new test (which takes about 2 weeks).
Does ANYONE out there know what this means? Is it possible that I DON'T have hep c? If not, what's up with the high liver enzyme count?

Thanks in advance!

Kim

The following user gives a hug of support to Kimb11:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimb11 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 07-19-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
Re: Anti-bodies vs. viral load

when i found out my husband had hep-c i read and read and read. and i'm still confused. it is very confusing. i do know that once you get hep-c you always have it. there is no cure. but if the viral load is low, then i would think it wouldn't damage your liver. my husband is virus free, but awaiting a liver transplant. there are some good web sites you can read up on this. i am hoping that eyesworld will soon answer you. she is the most up to date person on this from what i've read. give her a few days, or go in and search her posts.
i wish you all the luck in the world.

The following user gives a hug of support to iluvwv:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvwv For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
(female)

Kimb11 HB User

Thank you for the info, and I hope your husband is doing better. I will keep checking in to see if other responses have shown up! I have been surfing, trying to find out as much as I can about it, one thing my dr was right about, the web sure doesn't make it look like much fun!

Ok, off to do chores, thanks again,

Kim

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
(male)

cclay1358 HB Usercclay1358 HB User

Hi Kimb11,

O.K. I am no expert but the presence of hep C antibodies and an undetectable viral load usually means that you have contracted hep C at some point in time and you have beat the virus on your own without the need for treatment.

When a person first contracts hep C, the body produces antibodies to fight the disease. These antibodies will remain in your system presumably forever.

The viral load on the other hand tells how many copies of the actual virus exists in a litre of blood. For example when I was diagnosed I had the antibodies as well as a viral load of 3.2M meaning that the virus was active within my body and that there were 3.2M copies of it in a litre of my blood.

If the retest turns out to be negative then I believe that you are one of the lucky ones who's body has beat the virus on it's own.

This does happen in some cases. I really hope that this is the case for you. But i'd wait to see what your doctor says.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with that next test result!!

Chuck

The following user gives a hug of support to cclay1358:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to cclay1358 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
(female)

Kimb11 HB User

Thank you Chuck! It's hard not to be excited, but wow...that would be so wonderful, if I actually had beat this thing! I'll keep ya posted...

Thanks again,

Kim

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimb11 View Post
Happy Friday All!

A couple of months ago I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration/ long lasting flu, etc. Anyway, my liver enzyme count was 650, should be at 50. So, they tested me for Hep. I came back positive for hep c, they even re-did the test. I've never used IV drugs, but I have put a straw or two up my nose (ok, way more than a couple, but it's been years since I gave that all up), I've gotten a tattoo, and had a hysterectomy in Alaska about 25 years ago, way before they tested blood...

So, I go see the liver dr and he has me take another blood test, this one to see what my "viral load" was at, what level (1 thru 4), etc. When the nurse called me, she said my results were "negative". I said it wasn't that kind of test, the results should be what level 1 thru 4 and how much my viral load was at. I ended up going in and seeing the dr yesterday. He is redoing the tests, but here's what they are saying...
I test positive for the hep c anti bodies, but my viral load is "undetectable". He wouldn't really give me any answers until he sees the results from the new test (which takes about 2 weeks).
Does ANYONE out there know what this means? Is it possible that I DON'T have hep c? If not, what's up with the high liver enzyme count?

Thanks in advance!

Kim
Hi KimB,

So yeah, the "serology" or "antibodies" associated with Hepatitis can be confusing, though if you want to see confusing, look at the Hepatitis B bloodwork!!

Okay, so in your case, what is known for sure is that you have been exposed to Hepatitis C at some point in your life. >85% of people who are exposed to hepatitis C end up harbouring it for life and have an ongoing grumbling infection. There is a very small minority of adults whose immune systems are actually able to clear the virus.

When you get exposed to hepatitis C, your Hepatitis C antibody (HCV Ab) becomes positive FOREVER. The viral load in your blood refers to the actual amount of virus floating around. Your viral load being undetectable COULD mean that you're one of the lucky ones who's cleared the virus, BUT BUT BUT that is HIGHLY unlikely and the more likely explanation is that you have a relatively low viral load and it's just not being picked up on the test.

The issue is, even though you don't have detectable virus, your liver is still showing signs of inflammation, so until proven otherwise, you have to assume it's happening from the hepatitis C. Other than repeating the hepatitis C viral load, they should do bloodwork and imaging for other chronic liver diseases. You really should be referred to a hepatologist--this is NOT something a family doctor should be managing.

So for now, the bottom line is, you almost certainly have hepatitis C (your major risk factor being cocaine straw use), and you should assume that you have a chronic infection and will need treatment.

And by the way, in a certain proportion of people, Hepatitis C IS curable with a long course of interferon and ribavirin therapy.

Closed Thread